Monday, February 24, 2014

Tuesday Tales - Picture Prompt

Hello! It`s time for Tuesday Tales again. This week I`ll be sharing excerpts from my 2013 NaNoWriMo novel, Laco Law – The Gnarled Oak. Laco Law is an M/M historical western romance, set in the fictional county of Laco, Texas in 1867.

We have a picture prompt this week so the excerpt is written to reflect the image and must be three hundred words or under. In this snippet we find Clay and Zeke in Carson Butte after deciding to grab the train to save time.

A note for my readers:  This is a gay romance novel, and so the romance that occurs is man on man. If this is not your cup of tea, no one will think less of you if you read no further.

 As this is my NaNo work, it is quite rough. I do ask that you overlook any glaring mistakes you may find. Please do check out the other wonderful writers after you`re done reading by clicking on the Tuesday Tales link at the bottom. Thanks for stopping in!




            When we entered Carson Butte at dusk, my deputy whispered a breathy prayer to one of his gods. Riding slowly towards the train station, my attention grew keen despite fourteen hours in the saddle. The distrustful glowers aimed at my deputy were hard to miss. When we dismounted outside a freshly painted depot Zeke threw his gelding`s reins to me then limped for a bench under the train station`s porch. The depot was built in a fashion that reminded me of the library in Baton Rouge. We had been inside the library once. My sister spoke of it until she went into His Glory.

            I wrapped both sets of reins around the hitching post, patted my deputy on the shoulder, then entered the Carson Butte Railway Depot. A small man with a hooked nose, dark eyes, little hair, and shoulders that threatened to swallow his head stared out at me from behind a barred window.

            “Evening,” I called, my boot heels striking the recently mopped floorboards. “When is the next train from Galveston due to arrive?” I inquired, removing my hat. He looked me over, his beady eyes lingering on the sheriff’s star resting over my heart.

            “Tomorrow. Dare I ask if that man you rode in with is a criminal?”

            “No, Sir, he is not. That is my deputy,” I told him as I withdrew two of the newly printed national one dollar bills. The bill was rather exuberant in comparison to the bills that had previously been used by private banks. “Will this cover the price of two tickets to Galveston?”
           
            “I`m afraid not. The cost of a ticket to Galveston for you would be ten dollars and forty-six cents. We do not allow Indians, Negroes, or those of the Oriental persuasion to ride upon any Price Railway train.”



Copyright 2013 ©by V.L. Locey

*~*~*

Click on the link below to return to the Tuesday Tales main blog for more great reads from the talented authors of Tuesday Tales.


See you next week with more from the old West!





19 comments:

Jean Joachim said...

I wish his shoulders would swallow his head!! Ba**ard! But I love the way this piece paints the picture, using the library but keeping the flavor of the times in your excellent descriptions. Great story. And yeah, things were that bad back then.

V.L. Locey said...

You`re a riot, Jean!

Yes, hatred was quite visible back then. Thankfully our society has improved a great deal since Zeke and Clayton`s time.

Jamie Salisbury said...

A western! Love it - quite descriptive - and brave for doing Nano!

V.L. Locey said...

Hi Jamie! Thanks. I had always wanted to pen a western, and now I have. This year for NaNo? A pirate tale!

Sarah Cass said...

Well done keeping the feel of the library without wavering from your story!! Way to be "inspired" by the picture prompt instead of being literal!!

And so what will he do with Indians not being allowed on the train...hmmmm

V.L. Locey said...

Thanks Sarah.

It took me a good long time to figure out how to work the picture prompt in while keeping the flow of the excerpts going.

Davee said...

once again, I'm smiling at your snappy dialogue and succinct descriptions.

V.L. Locey said...

Many thanks, Davee. =)

SherryGLoag said...

Love the way you wove the library into your story without missing a beat. As always a wonderful scene.

V.L. Locey said...

Thank you, Sherry. It was a challenge!

kathleen ball said...

great excerpt love westerns

V.L. Locey said...

I know you do, Kathleen! Thanks for dropping by,

Iris B said...

Nice dialogue ... and very descriptive.

V.L. Locey said...

Many thanks, Iris!

writerszenblog said...

Beautiful job of using the prompt while staying right in the midst of your current story line.
Nice touch about showing the current prejudice and hate of the times. (Not that it's totally changed, although it has improved.) Great job!

V.L. Locey said...

Thank you kindly, Writerszen.

Thankfully things are better in terms of hatred, but we sill have a long way to go unfortunately.

Jillian said...

love it! Great use for the prompt. AND that last line: wow- very evocative of the time for sure and I'm so glad we've moved past that now- well, legally, we have. Sadly, some folks still hold on to those prejudices.

morgan said...

Good job using the prompt and showing the underlying prejudice that existed then and still exists to some extent now. My father was Native American. He's deceased, but he worked hard to overcome of stereotype of dirty injun.

V.L. Locey said...

Thank you for passing along that wonderful information about your father. I`m sure he did a wonderful job of showing those around him that a man, or woman, should be judged on who they are, not what color skin they wear.