Monday, January 6, 2014

Tuesday Tales - Toes

Welcome to Tuesday Tales! A new year has blossomed and I hope it finds you and yours happy, hale, and hearty.  This week I`ll return to sharing excerpts from my 2013 NaNoWriMo novel, Laco Law – The Gnarled Oak. Laco Law is an M/M historical western romance, set in the fictional county of Laco, Texas in 1867.

This week our word prompt is ‘Toes’. In this excerpt we discover that the Gum Brothers, the two survivors out of the four men who tried to hang Zeke, have left the ghost town after their associates were killed by Clayton. Clay decides to rest overnight in an abandoned smithy as Zeke is not up to more riding. Our sheriff and his deputy finally share an intimate moment. 

A note for my readers: This is a gay romance, and so the romance that occurs is man on man. If this is not your cup of tea, no one will think less of you if you read no further.

 As this is my NaNo work, it is quite rough. I do ask that you overlook any glaring mistakes you may find. Please do check out the other wonderful writers after you`re done reading by clicking on the Tuesday Tales link at the bottom. Thanks for stopping in!




            He made a sound of affirmation as he chewed delicately on the jerky. When asked if the loose tooth bothered, he shook his head. Long dark hair bounced with the movement. I got to my feet. His eyes followed me. I could feel his gaze on me until I stepped out of view. Outside I went with purpose. The temperature had spiked. I drug a couple more bucketfuls of water to the horses, found the small tin of salve in my saddle bag, and rejoined my deputy and his dog. 

         It was a hard call to say which was worse: the blistering heat outside or the shaded swelter inside. I opened up the two windows I could find. I eyed the large door that opened to the street with desire. Shame we had to leave it closed. That combined with the back door open would make a nice crosscurrent. But we didn`t dare leave doors open. Not with the Gum Brothers still on the loose.

            I sat down beside Zeke then placed my Henry on the floor beside me. He gulped down a large drink of water. I showed him the tin. “We need to keep that moist,” I said. He raised his right leg then rested his arm on it. The canteen dangled from his hand.

            “You going to do that?” he inquired. His voice was a hoarse croak. He cleared his throat to try again. I cut him off.

            “Yes, just gather up all that hair,” I said as I pried the small tin lid off with my thumb. The strong smell of eucalyptus wafted upward from the salve. Dog sneezed so hard his jaw hit the floor. I shoved two fingers into the plain metal tin. Zeke looked wary. Thick clear salve coated the middle and index finger of my right hand. He had his loose hair held back in his left hand. “I`ll be gentle.”

            “I`m good.” He frowned. I leaned forward, leading with my slippery fingers. His dark eyes were narrowed.

            “Tip your head,” I said. He did. Slowly and with care he bared the left side of his neck. I pulled the collar of his shirt aside with my left hand. He drew in a rattling hiss when the salve touched the rope burned skin.”Sorry,” I whispered.

            “Nah, go on,” he ground out, his jaw set, his nostrils flared. The skin under my fingers was a hot, swollen abrasion that cut deeply into his neck.

            “You possess some sort of lucky totem or medicine bag?” I muttered as I applied the fragrant ointment. If he did, he sure as hell needed to pray over it. Dog got up to put some distance between the liniment and his long nose. His toenails clacked on the floor boards. Fire Sky ignored my query.

            “I never thanked you,” Zeke said softly. I continued to massage the balm into his brown skin, nudging him under the ear when I needed the back of his neck. His head rolled forward. I rose to my knees then crawled closer. He released his hair but pulled the mass over his right shoulder. I dipped into the tin for more ointment. A wicked red line ran over the vertebrae in his neck.

            “Just a fair and equitable payback,” I told him.

            I shimmied closer. He leaned further forward. My chest brushed his left arm. A spark of desire snapped along my spine. I stared at his neck. A lurid fantasy cropped up. One where I put my mouth on his neck right where the rope had torn his skin open and I tasted his flesh. My manhood grew hard in mere seconds of that image coming to life. My breath left me in an uneven rattle. Zeke stiffened. My fingers slid over his skin gingerly. His arm moved back hesitantly, resting with intimacy against my stomach. His forearm moved across my erection. I gasped as lust ran through me, head to toes my body began to hum with need. He groaned. I scooped up another dollop of unguent.

             “Head to the left,” I requested. He did as asked. His hair slid over his shoulder in a wave of cascading onyx rings. His jugular jumped as I stared at the tender expanse of skin. The rope burn ran upward on this side, coming up at a sharp angle under his ear. I could not take my eyes off that thumping vein. He moved his left arm. The one not so innocently holding him up as it pushed against my arousal.

            Instead of dipping into the ointment that reeked of medicine I lowered my head to taste his skin. I could not resist any longer. His pulse tripled the moment my lips settled on his jugular.



Copyright 2013 ©by V.L. Locey


*~*~*

Click on the link below to return to the Tuesday Tales main blog for more great reads from the talented authors of Tuesday Tales.


See you next week with more M/M romance from the old West!





8 comments:

V.L. Locey said...

Ah yes, my tech skills are stunning. Instead of hitting publish I hit delete on Jean`s comment. DOH!

Thank you for the lovely praise, Jean.

Sarah Cass said...

Wow...the tender caring takes a turn...very heated scene. Well done.

SherryGLoag said...

Boy this is is packed with emotion.

V.L. Locey said...

Many thanks Sarah and Sherry. I found that I really like writing western`s if I can have a hot romance in the mix.

Iris B said...

Very nicely written ... and yes ... a bit hot :-)

V.L. Locey said...

Thanks for dropping by Iris. It was just a smidgen warm. ;)

Jillian said...

hot, hot, hot! Caliente!

V.L. Locey said...

That hot, hot, hot feels good, good, good today!

Thanks for the visit, Jillian.