Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Tuesday Tales - Hill

Welcome to Tuesday Tales! This week I`ll be sharing excerpts from my 2013 NaNoWriMo novel, Laco Law – The Gnarled Oak. Laco Law is an M/M historical western romance, set in the fictional county of Laco, Texas in 1867.

This week our word prompt is ‘Hill’. In this excerpt Clayton and Zeke get a clue about the cryptic last words of an outlaw, as well as an unexpected visitor. It is revealed in a part of the book I haven`t shared here that our visitor was born with a birth defect known as a cleft lip.

A note for my readers:  This is a gay romantica novel, and so the romance that occurs is man on man. If this is not your cup of tea, no one will think less of you if you read no further. 

 As this is my NaNo work, it is quite rough. I do ask that you overlook any glaring mistakes you may find. Please do check out the other wonderful writers after you`re done reading by clicking on the Tuesday Tales link at the bottom. Thanks for stopping in!



            “Morning,” I said. Zeke made a noise that could have been a reply. Or it could have been the sound of a catamount with a bowel blockage. Dog rejoined me. Zeke was slow leaving the cot. His shirt was in his hand when he emerged from the cell. His trousers were partially undone. The band dipped dangerously low under his pelvic bone. 

           A wicked fantasy about running my tongue over then into the hills and gulley's under his hip bone appeared out of the blue. I waved a hand at the lone seat. Zeke filled it and then some. Removing the towels from last night`s menu highlight, we lifted the black cups of coffee from the gravy. The brew was hot, strong, and invigorating.

            “What`s the plan for today?” Zeke asked, licking an escaped drop of coffee from his fleshy lip. My mind wandered just a bit. Dog sitting on my boot to stare forlornly at his owner brought me back.

            “Bath and a shave,” I commented, placing my cup to the desk. I grabbed a towel to lift the leftovers to my chin.

            “I like the way you smell,” he tossed out before he dove into his food.

            “I like the way you smell too,” I countered. A cloud of steam rushed skyward from the chicken gravy. I could smell sage seasoning the lumpy mass. Zeke shot me a look, his fork never slowing as our eyes held. “I was thinking last night . . .”

            “That what you Anglo`s call it?” he inquired without missing a chew. My reply was a wry eyebrow. Zeke smiled at his food.

            “The thinking took place before you came back. After you come back, well, then thinking got kind of difficult,” I confessed with a shade of pink touching my ears.

            “Yeah, it did,” he concurred. “So what were you thinking about before stuff got difficult?”

            “Double Sun,” I said. I decided to ignore the word game he seemed to want to play. This was a new side to Ezekiel Fire Sky. It made me uneasy since I had no experience with a slightly playful deputy. “You ever hear of it? Is there some kind of Indian meaning behind it?”

            “Unless it has meaning to the Tonkawa, I wouldn`t know. Don`t assume we all hold the same beliefs or tell the same legends,” he said without rancor for my ignorance.

            “Apologies,” I mumbled. Sometimes it slapped me in the face how sheltered Becky and I had been back in the bayou. “Does it have meaning to you?”

            “No, it`s gibberish from a dying man,” he said between dripping forkfuls. I noticed a fine line of whiskers riding along his jaw. It looked rather enticing. “Maybe he saw two of everything. Or maybe he was looking into the eyes of your God as death came for him.” Zeke shrugged a shoulder.  I couldn`t tear my gaze from his new facial hair. It was on the tip of my tongue to ask why his beard was so scant. Surely he was manly enough to grow a fine beard. I could attest to his how vigorous his manhood was.

            Someone appearing in the doorway shattered the private moment. Zeke shot to his bare feet. I swallowed loudly while lowering my plate from under my chin. Miss Sarah skittered inside then hurried to close the door behind her. She was all in grey, as usual, but she had decorated her bonnet with yellow flowers. She looked quite fetching, aside from her deformity. She held a tiny black purse in front of her bosom.

            “Miss Sarah,” I said as I dabbed at the corners of my mouth with the hotel towel, “I was not expecting to see you. Please, have a seat.” I waved at the chair the Indian had just vacated. She blinked once then paraded right past the towering Tonkawa with her tiny purse held before her. I met Zeke`s bewildered look over the top of Miss Sarah`s smoky-colored bonnet. She sat primly, purse on her lap, hands folded over purse. Dog wiggled closer. She patted his head once then looked up at me.

            “I just wished you to know that not everyone feels the same way others feel.”

            “Thank you kindly, Miss Sarah,” I said with sincerity. No wonder Becky had found such favor with this woman. She was not one to be cowed easily. Her eyes darted to Zeke who was now loitering in the corner, eating as fast as he could chew and swallow. His dark eyes were narrowed. I had no idea what Indian`s thought about those born with such gruesome malformations. Mayhap he was befuddled with her terrible speech. Whatever he was thinking was closely guarded. “It`s refreshing to know that some people are of a higher intelligence than others.”

            She snorted loudly then quickly covered her misshapen mouth with a tiny hand.

            “Tell me, Miss Sarah,” I walked over to her then dropped into a crouch at her left side. Her cheeks flamed. “Have you ever heard the term Double Sun?”

            “Oh yes! That`s the ranch that Brooks Price owns,” she gushed, her eyes lighting up at the mention of the man`s name. I dropped to one knee. Her perfume was reserved yet pleasant, rather fitting for a spinster.

            “Price as in the Price Railway?” Miss Sarah nodded briskly at my query.  “Are you sure?” I asked. Dog seemed to take umbrage with me horning in on the lady. He shoved his long nose under my arm. Miss Sarah patted him liberally after I rose.

            “Quite sure, Sheriff,” she said as Dog`s rear leg twitched. “Why do you ask?”

Copyright 2013 ©by V.L. Locey

*~*~*

Click on the link below to return to the Tuesday Tales main blog for more great reads from the talented authors of Tuesday Tales.


See you next week with more from the old West!




15 comments:

Jean Joachim said...

Aha! I finally get a clue as to who's doing this to the beautiful Native American. Now I need to know why!! I'll keep tuning in for this story. Well done.

Sarah Cass said...

Oooh, intrigue. The introduction of a wealthy family. I'm loving this so much :D

V.L. Locey said...

The plot thickens, as they say.

Thank you Sarah and Jean for stopping by!

Jillian said...

This is a great story so far, Vicky. I am enjoying it. I also love the photo you have here. Lots of inspiration there, I imagine.

V.L. Locey said...

Thank you so much, Jillian!

V.L. Locey said...

Thank you so much, Jillian!

writerszenblog said...

Great scene! My goodness, for a straight girl w/hubby, daughter & assorted flocks, you sure write steamy M/M scenes.

V.L. Locey said...

Ha,ha,ha! Thank you, Tricia! I do have a special place in my heart for my male/male lovers.

morgan said...

Nice handling of the scene with multiple characters including dog. I had a question on M/M romance. I am writing a scene. Can you message me? Thanks.

SherryGLoag said...

I'm enjoying this story. Hope you won't leave us high and dry with it.

V.L. Locey said...

Thanks for stopping by Morgan and Sherry! I`ll do my best to not leave things high and dry.

Iris B said...

Ditto what writerszenblog said ... but I'm getting the hang of the M/M stories .... ;-)

V.L. Locey said...

I`m glad to hear you`re getting the hang of the M/M stories, Iris. I adore them!

S.E said...

As always you have really good dialogue

V.L. Locey said...

Thank you, S.E.