Monday, December 2, 2013

Tuesday Tales - Wavy

Hello! It`s time for Tuesday Tales again. This week I`ll be sharing an excerpt from my 2013 NaNoWriMo novel, Laco Law – The Gnarled Oak. Laco Law is an M/M historical western romance, set in the fictional county of Laco, Texas in 1867.

This week our word prompt is ‘Wavy’. A lot has happened since our last excerpt. Clayton has found out what fate befell his sister and nephew after he had been shot. Zeke and Clay had a parting of the ways after both men became aware of a growing attraction. After discovering that the former sheriff has been killed, Clayton has been given the sheriff`s star by the town elders in Laco to aid him in tracking down a band of outlaws terrorizing the countryside. 

The following scene is the first time Clayton has seen Ezekiel since they split up. I will warn you that what you are about to read is graphic, violent, and may be disturbing for some readers.

 As this is my NaNo work, it is quite rough. I do ask that you overlook any glaring mistakes you may find. Please do check out the other wonderful writers after you`re done reading by clicking on the Tuesday Tales link at the bottom. Thanks for stopping in!

*~*~*



It took Hessie and me over two hours to find Chaparral Springs. Drunken queens tend to be lax on precise directions. As it turned out, my getting lost for an hour or so was a true blessing. We rode past the burned out hulk of the Chaparral Springs Meeting House. Guess the Gum Brothers and their cronies didn`t like having a house of God in their town. When I rode around the charred hulk of the little church on the outskirts, I could see why. To this day I cannot recall what I rode upon without a ball of emotion rising up to choke me down.

Four men were staggering around under a gnarled oak that marked the entrance to the long forgotten mine town. Seated on a grey gelding with a noose tight around his neck was Zeke Fire Sky. My heart stopped beating when someone fired a revolver into the air. Zeke`s horse shot out from under him. The rope snapped tight. My blood turned to ice. Laughter filled the mesa. I reached for the Henry that now rode in place of Zeke`s muzzle loader by my leg.

The first two shots went wide. Zeke`s feet were twitching. The foursome spun around in a drunken stupor, wondering who was shooting. My third shot sheared the thick rope that Zeke was hanging by. His big body collapsed to the dusty ground. I swung my sights from the gnarled oak and took aim at the men who were finally reaching for their side-arms. A shot whizzed past my right ear. I laid low on Hessie`s back. My boot-heels rammed into her ribs. My next shot blew the back of one man’s head off. The next, coming directly after I worked the lever-action, hit one of the bastard`s high in the chest, spinning him around.

Down he went, howling like a swamp demon. I rode hard at them, firing off all sixteen shots in rapid succession. Two men hauled ass back to their ghost town, firing haphazardly over their shoulders at me. I jerked on the reins when we neared the gnarled oak. My feet hit the ground. I jumped over a small clump of prickly pear, my heart hammering.

Zeke lay on his side, his hands bound behind his back. I rolled him over, taking care of his head with a gentle hand to the back of his skull. His neck was bleeding where the rope had bit into it. I bent down to place my ear beside his open mouth. A weak breath tickled my ear. There was no question as to what needed done. Bounties would have to wait. I cut the hemp binding his wrists then I lifted Zeke from the ground. His head rolled to my shoulder. 

I tripped a time or two, my eyes blurry from unshed tears as I held the man close to me. Hessie was nervous. She stamped and skittered to the side. The smell of death and blood in her nose was making her jittery. Whispering to the mare I placed Zeke over her strong withers. Once I was in the saddle and had the Henry in its scabbard, I tenderly lifted the man up. He rode back to Laco with my arm around him. Hessie was close to exhaustion when we galloped past the feed store.

Someone on the upper balcony of the Two Ravens shouted down at me asking if I needed help. I didn`t think there was much that could be done for a man nearly hanged, but I yelled for a doctor. Two of the whores disappeared inside. I rode to the jail full bore. Hessie got me to the lean-to behind the jailhouse and then she quit. She went down to her front legs, throwing me and Zeke up and over her head. I rolled over the half-dead Indian. Hessie`s rear legs dropped down under her and there she lay, gasping loudly over foamed lips. I got to my feet shakily.

Zeke`s wavy hair was spread out around his head. His lips were puffy and split, his eyes blackened, his cheek bones bruised. I had been so damned intent on the obvious damage to him that I hadn`t noticed the beating he had taken. Someone ran around the building. I lurched forward for my Henry. The barrel was up and pointed at the forehead of Isabella. The whore`s eyes went wide. I lowered the rifle with trembling hands. Two burly cowpokes and a man in a frilly robe arrived next. We four men each took an extremity. Zeke was carried into the jail. His lanky frame didn`t fit in the cot.

“You the doctor?” I asked of the man with glasses, a thin nose, bright brown eyes, and a paunch. He also had the knobbiest knees I had ever seen on a man.

“That I am.” He tugged his borrowed lacy robe closed. I allowed him access to Zeke. The Indian was undressed in short order. A sheet was pulled up to his waist to protect his modesty. Dusk was settling in. I rushed to find and light the kerosene lamp. When I returned to the cell I was horrified to see how mangled that beautiful brown body was. Black and blue marks covered ninety percent of Zeke`s flesh.  I held the lantern while the doctor did what he could. The cowpokes had gone around back to attend to my horse. I prayed that death would keep a wide berth of the tiny brick jail in Laco, Texas.


Copyright 2013 ©by V.L. Locey

*~*~*


Thanks for stopping in to visit! For more free reads by great authors follow the link back to the Tuesday Tales main blog.


See you next week!








13 comments:

Sarah Cass said...

Intense and emotional. I absolutely loved the last line!!

Davee said...

beautiful word usage as usual, so descriptive and full of emotion.

Jean Joachim said...

Wow! Fabulous. Evocative, emotional, scary, moving...I have goosebumps. Your description is spare but perfect. I felt like I was right in the scene. Beautifully done.

V.L. Locey said...

Thank you all kindly.

That was one of the toughest scenes to put to paper that I have ever written. I`m glad to hear it worked.

SherryGLoag said...

Yes it worked tremendously well. I felt I was watching a film your descriptions were so intense.

V.L. Locey said...

That`s wonderful to hear, thank you, Sherry!

morgan said...

Wonderful job on the action :)

writerszenblog said...

Perfect, perfect, perfect! I was on the edge of my seat waiting to see if he made it through, with my heart aching at hearing of the trauma he suffered at the hands of others.
Trisha Faye

Iris B said...

Yes, worked very well. Great descriptions!

V.L. Locey said...

My thanks all! <3

Tricia Andersen said...

That was incredible. Heart wrenching, extremely vivid. The emotion ran deep. Excellent job!

S.E said...

Excellent fight scene.

V.L. Locey said...

Thank you, S.E. and Tricia!