Monday, November 11, 2013

Tuesday Tales - Picture Prompt

Hello! It`s time for Tuesday Tales again. This week I`ll be sharing another excerpt from my 2013 NaNoWriMo novel, Laco Law – The Gnarled Oak. Laco Law is an M/M historical western romance, set in the fictional county of Laco, Texas in 1867. In today`s snippet, Clayton is suffering from a fevered dream brought on by the bullet wound we witnessed last week.

This week we`re writing to a picture prompt and the excerpt must not be longer than 300 words. As this is my NaNo work, it is quite rough. I do ask that you overlook any glaring mistakes you may find.

Please do check out the other wonderful writers after you`re done reading by clicking on the Tuesday Tales link at the bottom. Thanks for stopping in!










Laco Law

The Gnarled Oak

*~*~*




          I drifted through hazy dreams of fevered imagery. The snow flew upward as my hooves beat the wintry ground. It coated my stomach with icy particles. My legs, long and strong, pushed me through the drifts. Steam bellowed out of my nostrils. My heart beat strongly - powerfully. No cramps or spasms attacked my muscles. My hair and mane was as white as the snow I ran through. Voices sang all around me.





           Many were about Coyote, a woman, and a monster. I ran with a demon at my side. He spoke to me in my own language for a time and then would revert to his gibberish. He was a scarlet cloud. We found Coyote, and we traveled with him. I grew thirsty. The red sky made rain that coated my face and throat. I asked for my sister, but the red sky made thunder instead of words. I asked for my nephew, but the red sky turned back to white and I heard nothing more from him or Coyote.





Copyright ©by V.L. Locey


*~*~*

Thanks for stopping in to visit! For more free reads by great authors follow the link back to the Tuesday Tales main blog.


12 comments:

SherryGLoag said...

Oh, wow, that is so powerful and intriguing.

Lindsay said...

Very interesting and love how you used the prompt

V.L. Locey said...

Thank you both. It is a bit cryptic at the moment, but things get clearer as the novel continues.

Jean Joachim said...

I love the horse's perspective here. I feel him and galloped with him. Well done. Great, creative use of the prompt.

V.L. Locey said...

Thank you Jean. Nothing like a horse prompt to weave into a western! ;)

Sarah Cass said...

What an intriguing piece. The imagery was spectacular. I love this!

V.L. Locey said...

Thank you kindly, Sarah!

writerszenblog said...

Great scene. Loved the imagery tied to the prompt. A bit delusional and rambling, not quite making sense -- Just like an actual fevered dream would really be. Loved it.

Iris B said...

Loved it how you used the pic prompt!

V.L. Locey said...

Thanks for dropping by WritersZen and Iris!

Jillian said...

wow. love this. such a wonderful, intriguing scene.

V.L. Locey said...

Thank you kindly, Jillian!