Monday, November 18, 2013

Tuesday Tales - Loose

Hello! It`s time for Tuesday Tales again. This week I`ll be sharing an excerpt from my 2013 NaNoWriMo novel, Laco Law – The Gnarled Oak. Laco Law is an M/M historical western romance, set in the fictional county of Laco, Texas in 1867.

This week our word prompt is ‘Loose’. We finally get to meet my other leading man, as Clayton pulls out of the fever that has gripped him for weeks. As this is my NaNo work, it is quite rough. I do ask that you overlook any glaring mistakes you may find.

Please do check out the other wonderful writers after you`re done reading by clicking on the Tuesday Tales link at the bottom. Thanks for stopping in!






Laco Law

The Gnarled Oak

*~*~*

I woke up with a start when he touched my arm.

“Sorry,” I mumbled thickly, “Can`t seem to stay awake.”

“No need for an apology,” he said, sitting down beside me on the bed with care. Each movement was pure damned agony. The aroma of meat broth slithered into my nose. My mouth began to fill with saliva.
 
“How long . . .”

“This is the fifteenth day since I found you in the river,” he told me, lifting a wooden spoon from a matching bowl to his lips. He blew. I stared at him in shock. What would my sister be thinking? The cooled broth was placed into my mouth. It was terribly flat but thick with fat. It coated my tongue as I swallowed.

 “You were gut shot,” he said between blows. I slurped loudly. The dog shuffled closer. The man barked a sharp command at the dog in a blunt sounding language. It took me a moment to shake the stab of fear this Indian automatically instilled in me. Rational thought prevailed. If he wanted to kill me, would he be here spooning soup into me like I had done for my nephew Boyden when he was a babe?

“I need to get home.”

“Not today, pan.” I asked why he called me ‘pan’. “It means white bread,” he answered.

“What tribe are you?” I asked. He lowered the spoon from his lips. The hearth was dying down but I could see that his mouth was full and drawn into a frown. He had thick lips set under a rather wide nose. His cheekbones were knife sharp and resided in an oblong face that was surrounded by the longest, thickest, curliest black hair I had ever seen on an Indian, or any man. He threw the loose ebony mass over his right shoulder with a short huff.

“Half Tonkawa,” he said in a clipped manner. I mentally mouthed the tribe. Tong-Kuh-Wah. I couldn`t recall hearing of them before, but my thoughts were a jumbled mess. I didn`t want to push him on what the other half was. I was pretty sure I knew. White man hooks up with an Indian woman and . . .

“Other half is escaped Negro slave. If you have any issues with me or my food, speak up and I`ll move you to town.”

“The broth is good.”

He fed me more until I begged off and drifted back to sleep, my lips slick with meat juice. The dog woke me up. A rooster crowed nearby. I pushed at the dog, trying to get his tongue away from my face. He sat down beside the bed. I had been moved, yet again, and was now lying on my left side to face the stone fireplace. A tiny window beside the hearth showed a rosy pink sky. Dawn had arrived. The dog’s tail swished over the floor. He was a funny looking dog that had a long nose, a droopy ear, and was speckled with black and red dots over his white body. His tongue lolled out of his mouth. He had one brown eye and one blue eye.

“Damn,” I hissed as I worked on throwing a leg off the side of the bed. My bare thigh scrubbed against the wooden side that cradled the roughly-ticked mattress. My bladder was full. Fearful of pissing myself I forced my left leg off the bed. The dog made a happy little woof. Probably he had to piss as well. The blanket slid from my naked body to the mattress as I slowly inched my way up. I was now panting like a pack mule and had only gotten myself to my elbow. Sweat popped up on my upper lip and brow. The entry and exit wounds stretched painfully. I groaned. My nurse sat up swiftly, startling me when he shot up from the floor. The dog leaped into the air then ran to the door. A brisk spat of Tonkawa followed.

“You sit,” the Indian barked. The dog dropped to his ass. “I meant him,” he corrected and cocked a thumb at me. The door creaked open on rusty hinges. The dog barreled out into the morning, sending a group of chickens into a clucking flurry. A rivulet of sweat tickled my spine. My hand went down to cover my genitals. “I`ve seen what you have,” the Indian mumbled, walking over to me on silent feet.

“I need to piss and then get home,” I said as he pushed me back down to the bed.

“I`ll get you a jar.” He turned and went outside. I glowered at his retreating back. He returned a moment later, long legged and bare-footed, his wild hair teased into a ball of ringlets. “You need help?” he asked as I took the dirty glass canning jar. I looked at him in horror. A tiny tic of a smile tweaked one corner of his mouth, tugging those fleshy lips of his up. “Who do you think it was that held your prick for the past two weeks so you didn`t wet my bed?”

“Shit,” I whispered. The man snorted then turned to give me some privacy. I fumbled with the jar but finally managed to get things situated. I stared at my nursemaids back as I relived myself. He was a tall man and well-made: Wide in the shoulders, lean in the waist, with long strong legs. His hair hung down his back to his waist. When he turned the sun showed his skin to be just a shade darker than the few Comanche I had seen. His chest was sculpted with a thin strip of black hair between his pectorals that ran to the top of his green trousers. I looked away in a rush. He brought a bowl of cold stew over. A flood of embarrassment moved over me. I shook myself and handed him the jar. The switch was made with no conversation.

“I`ll be right back,” he said then headed to the open door. I nodded.

“What`s your name?” I asked. He paused in the doorway.

“Ezekiel Fire Sky,” he replied then disappeared into the new day.


Copyright ©by V.L. Locey

*~*~*

Thanks for stopping in to visit! For more free reads by great authors follow the link back to the Tuesday Tales main blog.


13 comments:

Karen Cino said...

Quite an intense scene between your two characters. Good job.

SherryGLoag said...

This is such a vivid scene packed with powerful emotions. I love how you bring the dog into the story here.

Jean Joachim said...

Wow, quite a story developing here. I love the detail, and descriptions. It makes me feel as if I'm right there.

V.L. Locey said...

Many thanks TT family! I tell you, I am quickly falling in love with these two men. <3

Davee said...

Beautiful descriptive writing as usual. :)

V.L. Locey said...

Thank you kindly, Davee.

Jillian said...

giggled a it over the whole peeing in a jar part. Love this!

V.L. Locey said...

The final embarrassment.

Thanks for stopping by, Jillian.

Iris B said...

Great post, this week!

morgan said...

This is your best tale yet. You must really love your characters since they are so well-crafted. Great job!

V.L. Locey said...

Thank you so much, Morgan! I do love all my characters. I think we authors all tumble for our creations.

writerszenblog said...

Love it, love it, love it!! Great characters and interaction. Detailed and rich. Oh, and did I mention I LOVE it!?!
Trisha

V.L. Locey said...

Ha,ha,ha! Love your enthusiasm, Trisha. I`m so glad people are enjoying the story so far.