Monday, October 21, 2013

Tuesday Tales - Railing

Hello! It`s time for Tuesday Tales again. We`re back with a new chapter for my paranormal romance written exclusively for Tuesday Tales! Sorry to have missed last week. Two final proofs with identical deadlines for the 18th had me doing a lively dance. But, those are attended to and we can now get back to Maggie and Gerard who, if memory serves, were about to have a close encounter of the ghostly kind.

This week our word prompt is ‘Railing’. Since this hasn`t been edited or beta read by anyone but me, there may be some grammatical errors. I do apologize for any mistakes.

Please check out the other wonderful writers after you`re done reading by clicking on the Tuesday Tales link at the bottom. Thanks for stopping in!





Anastasia`s Locket



Chapter Three
*~*~*

Have you ever had an otherworldly entity pass through your body? It`s not pleasant. It feels as if someone is running an icy finger over your marrow. My knees folded. I dropped to the wet grass, gasping ineffectually.  Hands splayed, I dug my fingernails into the chilly soil as the ghostly horror left my body`s core. My forehead touched the grass. My skin bristled. I wept in fear. Gerard`s camera hit the ground with a heavy thud. Something broke off and bounced off into the dark. The light flickered but stayed lit.

I skittered to the side, falling to my ass. There was no sign of Anastasia. Gerard was out cold, his huge body convulsing as if it were trying to expel something. I whimpered then reached for the man, the camera totally forgotten as it lay on its side in the grass. My fingers latched onto Gerard`s forearm. I drew it back with a hiss. He was cold. Ice cold. Cold as the dead. I whispered his name. His large frame bucked. Water bubbled from between his lips.

My stunned brain had me moving before I realized what was happening. I straddled his hips, placed one hand over the other on his sternum, and pushed with all my might. A gush of brackish pond water erupted out of his mouth and nose.

“Come on, come on, come on, come on!” I chanted with each forceful shove I made. How the hell did his lungs get filled with water?! I was crying and cussing and working to get that horrid cold pond out of him when his fingers closed around my throat without warning. My hands left his chest. I dug and clawed at his hand as it tightened. Sight blurred with tears I saw his eyes fly open. I tried to scream, but my air passage was now cut off. His eyes were completely white.

Tell mother I want her,” Gerard said but it wasn`t Gerard at all. The deep, humorous, loving voice of my soon-to-be paramour was now that of a young woman long dead. He threw me aside as if I weighed nothing, and that is far from the case. I landed painfully on my side. I lay there spellbound with terror as Gerard rose to his feet like a tree being lifted from its top by invisible ropes. His head turned until he found me. I didn`t need to be told twice. Up to my feet I went, wheezing terribly all the while I stumbled back to the house. My foot slid as I neared the back door. My ribs slammed into the railing. I cried out in pain.

“Tell mother I want her!” Anastasia shrieked. “Tell her I want her! Tell her I WANT HER!”



I barreled into the door only to find it locked. My eyes grew round as plates. I rattled the doorknob violently. I began hammering on the old door, screaming to be let in. My voice was nonexistent from being nearly throttled. There was no reply from inside. I beat harder. I kicked. The ghostly cries were growing closer. I shouted for Anastasia`s mother to come outside but my raspy pleas were nothing compared to the keening screeches that Anastasia was producing.

Then the back door flew open. I tumbled inside, my knees taking the brunt of the fall. Mrs. Gundy, sweater hanging over her shoulders like a shroud, stepped over me and into the night, a silver chain dangling from her wrinkled hand. I tried to warn the old dear, but my strangled voice was too weak to be heard. Using the doorframe I pulled myself to my feet to witness Anastasia leaving Gerard, thank God, to slam into her mother.

Gerard fell to the lawn like an unwanted ragdoll.  I threw myself out the back door; my wobbly legs making the short trip to Gerard feel like miles. His skin was clammy. I began patting his face, trying to revive him. His cheeks, neck, and shirt collar were wet. When he came to he coughed violently to evacuate the last of the pond water in his lungs.

“I hate being slimed.” He gasped weakly. I hugged him tightly. Gerard pulled away. I turned to look at what he was seeing over my shoulder.

Mrs. Gundy had walked into the pond until her head was completely submerged.


Copyright 2013 ©by V.L. Locey

*~*~*


Thanks for stopping in to visit! For more free reads by great authors follow the link back to the Tuesday Tales main blog.


See you next week!









12 comments:

Sarah Cass said...

~shiver~ Creepy. What a horrible thing to happen! So glad Gerard is okay...but poor Mrs. Gundy!

Jillian said...

wow!! I'm floored. That was awesome. I could feel the chill and her fear. Well done!!!

Davee said...

detailed and creepy descriptors. love it

SherryGLoag said...

Wow, this was a very spooky episode. Awesome.

V.L. Locey said...

Many thanks TT family! I felt SO badly for both of them when I was penning that issue. And then Mrs. Gundy!

Lindsay said...

That was really creepy and intense.
Loved it

Jean Joachim said...

What a wonderfully ghoulish turn this tale is taking! I'm loving it. You scared me silly and I worried for Gerard. Excellent!

V.L. Locey said...

I think I scared myself when I was writing it! Thanks so much Lindsay and Jean. =)

Iris B said...

Holy moses and such ... they weren't wrong saying this week's TT posts had some creepy stuff in it.
WELL DONE, although i've got to say, i'm glad it's the middle of the day here ...
OMG and I've gotta come back next week and find out about Mrs Gundy in the water ...

writerszenblog said...

Wow! I didn't expect it to go this way. Very nice writing, so detailed and descriptive. Excellent!

V.L. Locey said...

That would have been creepy to read at night! Glad I wrote it during the day!

Stefan Ellery said...

loved this, I can see this scene in a movie.