Sunday, October 27, 2013

And Then Something Like This Happens . . .



There are times that we authors get into funks. I`m pretty sure it happens to all artists. We sit in our house, alone with our work, and feel blue about one thing or another. These type of thoughts rumble through our heads:

“I`m not selling as many books as Stephen King.”

“I should be writing something about (insert hot book genre here) so I can cash in on the (insert hot book genre here) craze.”

“Why am I doing this?!”

“Is anyone even reading my work?!”

“Does anything I do make a difference?!”

So when we artist-type folks get into these pits of Woe-Is-Me, we tend to look at our work with an even stronger critical eye. That was where I was on Saturday morning as I attended a local book fest. The event had over fifteen local author tables and a huge used book sale.

The attendance was brisk for the used books but slow for the authors. My helper (aka Miss Yodeling) had grown bored after about ninety minutes, so I sent her off to run some errands. I had been reading a hockey romance, watching for anyone who might want to come up and chat when two young ladies approached my table.

They were no older than sixteen. Adorable things they were and so shy! I smiled and beckoned them to come closer. One stepped forward, the other young woman staying at her side but back a half-step. I was prepared to launch into my ‘Hi, I`m Vicki Locey and this is my rural romance series, and these over here are LGBT romance’ pitch. She beat me to the punch by saying this-


“I just wanted to say that you are the only author that I`ve seen in this county that not only writes LGBT books, but is proud to say that they do.”

(I had this printout framed and sitting on my table at the time-)




“I`m bisexual,” she continued, “And it makes me so happy to see that someone local is displaying the gay pride flag. Can I get a hug?”

Once I swallowed down the ball of emotion, she and I embraced each other. She grabbed a copy of a zombie romance anthology and returned to her friends and life.

Thank you, my dear, for showing me that what I write can make a difference. Anytime you need a hug, my arms are open.








8 comments:

stefanides said...

I have never been so proud to be your friend as I am now! What a wonderful thing you are doing. Imagine how freeing it is for these young women, and others like them, to have an author like you in their midst.

If your work never touches another soul (although I know it will), you have accomplished the best any writer can!

Much love and admiration to you!

V.L. Locey said...

Thank you, Michele. It was truly one of the most moving experiences of my life.

dontevertellalex said...

It is moments like that which make me feel proud to be human.

Teresa said...

What a great experience!

Pamela Mason said...

Rock on Vicki. Here is my virtual hug. (((( :) )))))

V.L. Locey said...

More hugs! Thanks everyone. Just thinking of that exchange warms me inside.

Anna Bayes said...

That made me feel so warm and fuzzy inside. (*hugs*)

V.L. Locey said...

It did me as well, Anna. =)