Monday, August 26, 2013

Tuesday Tales - Wave

Hello! It`s time for Tuesday Tales again. This week I`ll be sharing an excerpt from my new adult WIP (Work In Progress) Love of the Hunter, an M/M mythological romance.

In today`s excerpt-After finding a cave in the deep wood to hide the archer and Kedalion in, Apollo has been tending to Orion as the handsome son of the sea god slowly heals. Apollo begins to grow more and more attracted to Orion as each day passes. After nearly bedding the adoring servant of Hephaestus in a rush of lust and misplaced confusion, the young god finds himself by a pool after walking aimlessly for hours. There is adult language in this post, so if that offends, now is the time to stop reading.

This week our word prompt is ‘Wave’. Since this is a rough draft there may be some mistakes. I do apologize for any boo-boo you may find.

Please do check out the other wonderful writers after you`re done reading by clicking on the Tuesday Tales link at the bottom. Thanks for stopping in!





I stop to rest beside a swirling pool. I hug my legs up to my chest. A shaft of moonlight dances on the spinning water. Small pockets of foam are caught in the circular play of tide and current. A fish rolls over just under the water. Tiny specks of iridescent light flicker over the water`s glowing surface. I enjoy the show from the perch I have upon a jutting chunk of rock that hangs over the eddy.

“I am sorely confused.” I speak to the fish and the water and the fey sprites that surround me. I speak to my soul and my sister and my mother and father. “I confess to loving one man yet I am not faithful to his memory.  Tonight I nearly bedded a servant of my sibling`s.” I shake my head in shame. “I find myself drawn to Orion. Is this wrong?” I inquire of the lazy trout whose fins break the water while he waits for a speck of light to dance a bit closer to the spiraling surface.  I stare at the small waves his appearance made. “It has been many seasons since my love left me. When does the pain end?”

I lower my head to my arms. A tickle of a wind moves over the back of my exposed neck. I raise my sight to the night sky. A swan, long and sleek and white as the moon circles overhead. It lands on the water gracefully. My brow drops back to my arms then a pair of hands dives into my hair. I jerk my head up instantly.

“I have always loved your hair, Apollo,” Aphrodite whispers. I would know her voice anywhere. It is a meadowlark on the wing, a comet streaking across the sky, a lover`s whisper on a sultry night.

I relax when she begins to draw her fingers through my hair. “Why are you here?” I ask. “Father shall be upset if he discovers you have visited me. I am exiled until I become who he wants me to be.”

She leans onto my back. Her breasts are heavy, the nipples erect. I turn my head to look into the aquamarine eyes of the goddess of love. She is so beautiful even I cannot describe her well enough. She places her lips to mine softly. Her silver-blonde hair glides over her shoulder.  Her lips taste of ambrosia. She sighs then leans back on her legs to continue playing with my hair.

“Pity you are inclined as you are,” she strokes the long golden strands with a flat palm. “You are so beautiful.”

“You have Ares,” I say. She makes a sound like a disgruntled kitten. “Can you answer my question?”
She pauses momentarily then resumes, her fingernails gliding over my scalp. Her touch soothes me. Perhaps it does all males. Or mayhap her touch befuddles. Is that not what love does, befuddle and confuse?

“I can, but I choose not to,” the goddess of sea foam purrs. I cast a glance at the heavens. “Do not sigh so dramatically,” she scolds, gathering my hair into a tail then letting it flutter back down to my neck and shoulders. “Love is not simple, even for gods, my passionate poet.”

I turn to look at her. Her chiton glows pearly white like the stars, hugging her voluptuous form with diaphanous clarity. I find myself compelled to stare at her mouth. To envision my cock sliding between her ripe lips as she fondles my—

“You are in a rare state, Phoebus Apollo,” Aphrodite laughs. I bristle at her amusement on my behalf, shooting to my feet. She kneels in front of me, her eyes wide and innocent.

“I can see why the war god acts such a buffoon,” I state factually. She eyes my erection yet her hands stay folded in her lap. “Why are you here if you do not seek to help me understand what has taken over my soul?”

“It is something you must discover for yourself.” She smiles up at me. I drop down and slide from the rock I had been seated on. I face the river, not her. Her powers are pushing me deeper into the bog of frustration. I scrub at my chin.

“Apollo,” she calls. I rub the back of my neck yet do not gaze upon her. “Very well, if you are afraid to look at me, so be it. I came here because I love you, as I love all who I call family.”

I raise a shoulder. Family is what we are but not by blood, not really. Aphrodite was created when my father, Zeus, threw the genitals of my grandfather Kronos into the sea after he castrated the Titan. So in reality the love goddess is blood kin to no one upon Olympus, but father is fond of her and calls her daughter, so I am expected to call her sister.

“You cannot love a memory forever, my fair one,” she says, stepping up beside me. I move away from her, fearful of falling under her powerful wiles yet again. Her hand is soft and warm upon my cheek. I fight the urge to turn my face into that palm. “Love is not meant to be hoarded or stored away, Apollo. He would not wish you to do so, nor would I. Look at what The Fates have brought you. If love blossoms then let it grow. Do not snip the tender bud before it has a chance to open.”

I give into the temptation. I place a kiss to her palm. She pats my cheek then dissipates. Her divine form turns into a whirlwind of white feathers that blow skyward then drift down to tease a hungry trout.


Copyright 2013 ©by V.L. Locey

*~*~*


Thanks for stopping in to visit! For more free reads by great authors follow the link back to the Tuesday Tales main blog.


See you next week!


23 comments:

Sarah said...

Lovely imagery...

V.L. Locey said...

Thank you, Sarah. =)

Cathy Brockman said...

so beautiful! I almost cried.poor Apollo

V.L. Locey said...

He is having a tough time of things. Here`s hoping that Apollo understands what Aphrodite is trying to tell him.

kathleen ball said...

wonderfully vivid- great story

Jean Joachim said...

What a sensual excerpt. But if Aphrodite can't lure him, no woman can! LOL. Lovely writing and descriptions. I could almost feel what he felt.

writerszenblog said...

Excellent! Great writing.
Question though, I feel like a dunce, what does the M/M genre stand for?

Lindsay said...

Love the picture you painted

V.L. Locey said...

My thanks TT family for dropping in!

M/M means Male/Male romance. =)

SherryGLoag said...

So much emotion here, wonderful.

writerszenblog said...

Ah, ok, makes sense. Thanks for the writerly lesson lol
Trisha

V.L. Locey said...

Thank you kindly, Sherry.

You`re welcome, Trisha. =)

Iris B said...

Wonderful writing!

V.L. Locey said...

Thanks so much, Iris!

Davee said...

I always love the way you set up a scene with the beautiful descriptors and vivid imagery.

Jillian said...

well done. Very nice!

V.L. Locey said...

Thanks so much for commenting Jilian and Davee.

Hopefully the descriptions and imagery help bring the readers into the scene.

morgan said...

Hi,

Someone can resist the Goddess of Love? Amazing. Nice selection.

V.L. Locey said...

So it seems! Thanks for stopping by, Morgan.

S.E said...

You really have a way with words.

V.L. Locey said...

Thank you, Sherry. That means a great deal coming from a fellow wordsmith.

Tricia Andersen said...

Such a beautiful and vivid scene. I love your description of Aphrodite. I can't wait to read more!

V.L. Locey said...

Thank you so much, Tricia!