Monday, July 22, 2013

Tuesday Tales - Picture Prompt

Hello! It`s time for Tuesday Tales again. This week I`ll be sharing an excerpt from my WIP (Work In Progress) Love of the Hunter, an M/M mythological romance. This week we`re writing to a picture prompt and the snippet must not be longer than 300 words. Since this is a rough draft there may be some mistakes. I do apologize for any boo-boo you may find.

 In today`s excerpt Apollo has spared the life of a stag as he returns to the castle of Helios. The stag bounds into a nearby river and is sucked downstream. The god takes umbrage at the river trying to take a life he had spared, so he tries to save the stag.

 Please do check out the other wonderful writers after you`re done reading by clicking on the Tuesday Tales link at the bottom. Thanks for stopping in!



When my lungs are close to bursting I push off a boulder. I`m propelled from the whirlpool, the stag bouncing off rock in my wake.  My head clears the water. I am momentarily blinded by a sodden mass of golden hair that I throw from my eyes. The river spins me in circles. I am breathing harshly. With one arm I begin to fight my way to the river bank. It takes a very long time. I am exhausted when I stumble from the waterway.

I drop the beast. My breathing is already calming as I place my bow to the ground. My quiver is empty, all the golden arrows washed away. They will float for many passes of Helios. I will get more. Father will command Hephaestus to fill my quiver as I sleep.

I peel my sodden chiton from my body. My skin prickles as the winds roar down from the golden palace. The stag lies behind me. I kneel beside the animal. My hands move over the wet fur. The heat of the sun warms my hands. My lids flutter. Heat resonates within me. With a shuddering gasp the stag leaps up and blinks wide brown eyes. I cross my arms over my hairless chest.

“Go,” I tell the stag.

The sound of my voice startles the deer into motion. He breaks away, jumping and bounding up the side of the mountain. I glance down at my hands. They are still illuminated. I am pleased with this gift of healing. Sadly, I cannot snatch a human from the cold grip of death. They are past the skills of the healer. Their psyche then belongs to Hades, and into his realm even I cannot travel. The ride across the Acheron in the ferryman`s boat is one forbidden to me.



Copyright 2013 ©by V.L. Locey

*~*~*


Thanks for stopping in to visit! For more free reads by great authors follow the link back to the Tuesday Tales main blog.


See you next week!



19 comments:

Lindsay said...

To help some but not others must be a tough burden to carry. Great scene.

V.L. Locey said...

Even the gods have sadness and burdens.

Thanks for stopping by, Lindsay!

Ros Nazilli said...

Such detail.. Is beautiful..x

V.L. Locey said...

Thank you, Ros.

Sarah said...

Hmmm..interesting. I have a feeling this will haunt him more in coming days...

V.L. Locey said...

We`ll have to see, Sarah. Apollo is a haunted young god at the moment.

Davee said...

Your post made me think about to what happens to animals after death. Very interesting. thoughtful TT

Jean Joachim said...

I love that he's a healer. So warm and loving.

Cathy Brockman said...

i cant wait for this book!!

Cathy G. said...

I sensed the young god's anguish and generosity toward the wounded stag. The way you weave myth made it feel very real. Well done!

V.L. Locey said...

Thank you all so very much! I`m always so happy to hear that the mythos is coming to life for the readers. =)

Tricia Andersen said...

I love the warmth he has for the stag. I sense he knows about the ferryman's ride because he's thought long and hard about it. Love this story!

V.L. Locey said...

I suspect you`re right, Tricia. I`m so glad you`re enjoying Apollo`s tale!

Iris B said...

Nice post. Agree with the above, the warmth for the stag is beautifully put into words.

V.L. Locey said...

Thank you, Iris!

morgan said...

Hi V.C.,
A very nice excerpt. Do you do a lot of mythological research or do you just know it? From school, books and movies, etc.

V.L. Locey said...

Hi Morgan,

Thank you very much. I`ve always loved mythology, with a heavy love of the Greek pantheon, and so have read a great many books and seen a great many movies over the years.

But yes, lots of research as well to into my mythological works. I try to ensure the facts are as accurate as one can given we`re dealing with playwrights and poets that each liked to give their own flavor to the gods.

With this book, I`m really tweaking the old fable!

Jillian said...

lovely use of the picture. I'm intrigued by the scene.

V.L. Locey said...

Thanks muchly, Jillian!