Monday, July 29, 2013

Tuesday Tales - Bargain

Hello! It`s time for Tuesday Tales again. This week I`ll be sharing an excerpt from my new adult WIP (Work In Progress) Love of the Hunter, an M/M mythological romance.

In today`s excerpt we see exactly how the eternally youthful god, Apollo, has been forced to live, and the abuse he suffers at the hands of a bitterly defeated Titan.

This week our word prompt is ‘Bargain’. Since this is a rough draft there may be some mistakes. I do apologize for any boo-boo you may find.

Please do check out the other wonderful writers after you`re done reading by clicking on the Tuesday Tales link at the bottom. Thanks for stopping in!




I study the path that leads to the temple as I walk. It is lined with ground shells. Or perhaps it is the many bones of those who have tried, and failed, to enter this shrine at the eastern end of the earth. Helios does not take kindly to visitors. If not for his fear of Zeus and his powers, I would have been incinerated just as the hapless humans seeking to own the sun were. I find a rounded chunk of calcium and kick it ahead of me, my chiton drying as is my hair. The hot winds feel good. They whip around the home of the Titan, lifting my yellow curls playfully. One zephyr, Eurus, the eastern wind, tries to tug my chiton from my shoulder. I spin around, scuffing up clouds of dust in an attempt to wrest my robe from the wind god and his spirits.

“Release my robes at once, foolish sprite!” I yell, tugging violently to free the sky blue garment. The laughing winds of the east race off, my chiton bouncing merrily from one gust to another high above my head. I run back down the path, my bow and quiver slapping my backside. I curse the winds as they race further ahead. Even Apollo cannot catch the wind. I pause in the chase when I hear the first rumbling sounds of the sun chariot. I quickly turn and dash up the hill. I must not be late to take the reins of the steeds or I shall feel Helios` whip. One does not bargain with a Titan. I push my body. Olympian blood courses through me, fueling my muscles and heart with heavenly golden ichor.

The chariot races overhead. The light is so bright my eyes water. I cannot see clearly and run into a marble column. Down to my naked ass I go. I scrabble to my feet, pushing my weaponry back onto my shoulder. I dare not be late. The stables are many hectares away. I run as fast as I can my arms and legs pumping, still I know I will not arrive on time. I can feel the horses touch down on the earth. The ground trembles. My feet blur as I run onward, hoping now to only receive one lash with the fiery whip.

I skid around the side of the stable. The whip flies out, snaking around my right ankle. Helios jerks upon the flaming lash. My leg is wrenched out from underneath me. I land on my side. The Titan pulls me to him. I writhe and scream for mercy but I know there will be none. The four horses stamp the ground, their flaming hooves singeing the grass. I throw my arms over my face. Helios steps from the chariot, a glowing ball of fire that can turn even me to ash with a flick of his finger. He pulls me away from the horses, the whip burning through my skin, tears flowing down my cheeks.

“Shall I call you the weeping god, son of Leto?” Helios taunts, dragging me like a ragged doll across the yard. I roll from one side to the other, trying to free myself. “Crying like a mortal girl child,” the Titan thunders down at me then with a jerk of his wrist the whip tears free. Flesh rips and smolders and I scream in agony. I beg for his forgiveness. He reaches down. I curl into a ball. “You fill me with shame,” he sneers in my face. I flop to my stomach. The whip lands across my lower back. The biting fingers instantly sear through my skin. I kick and twitch. I bite through my lower lip until thick golden blood fills my mouth. I do not cry out. That seems to please the Titan for no other lashing do I receive.

“Your father,” he spits out the word with distaste, “bid you sent here to me to learn my ways and stop your feminine mewling over a lost boy love.  He has given me freedom to make a god out of you, and so help me Apollo I shall do as bid by him. Now attend to my steeds.”

I sit up, sniffling quietly. The Titan stalks across the grass, his lash leaving a burnt snaking mark on the withered lawn. My ankle throbs terribly as does my back. They would heal. When next it was time for Helios to ride across the sky all that would remain of his cruelty would be a faint pink scar. That is his pleasure. He knows that he cannot kill me lest he incurs the wrath of Zeus, but he can whip me to mold me. That Zeus does not object to.

My father is worried. I know it and my sister knows it. Even my mother has whispered warnings to me when she visits, which is not often for she fears the Titan sun god. They do not understand how I could have loved another male so deeply when such things are to be cast aside once a man is a man, or so they believe in the learned city of Athens. So they turn a blind eye to the violence that Helios directs at me. Secretly, I feel they hope he can beat me into being the god they wish me to be.

Copyright 2013 ©by V.L. Locey

*~*~*


Thanks for stopping in to visit! For more free reads by great authors follow the link back to the Tuesday Tales main blog.


See you next week!


16 comments:

kathleen ball said...

great descriptive action!!

V.L. Locey said...

Thank you, Kathleen. It was one heck of a hard scene to write. =(

Cathy Brockman said...

wow!!

Jillian said...

I love following this story as it develops. I think myths are wonderful and your use of them in your work is exciting.

Cathy G. said...

Very interesting take on the mythology. The acceptance by Apollo's parents of the cruel training at the hands of Helios reminded me of the spare the rod, spoil the child mindset, but it seems Apollo will come through an even stronger and more compassionate adversary. Well done!

V.L. Locey said...

Thank you all kindly.

I agree Cathy G., there is quite an old-fashioned mindset involved here. We know that beating the lad isn`t going to make him not love other men, but this is an ancient pantheon with archaic thinking we`re dealing with.

Lindsay said...

Love the action, great description.

Karen Cino said...

I love your story and how you use mythology and the language through your story. The descriptions are awesome.

V.L. Locey said...

Thank you Lindsay and Karen.

I must confess to a great fondness for mythology of all kinds. It is a pure joy for me to bring the gods to life. =)

Davee said...

your words flow beautifully as usual. :)

S.E said...

I bet you've done a lot of research

V.L. Locey said...

Thanks for dropping in SE and Davee!

I like to say that writing about the gods is one part love of the mythos and three parts research. ;)

Tricia Andersen said...

Great imagery! I could see everything so clearly. And my heart is breaking for Apollo. He's taking so much - I can't wait until he finds happiness!

V.L. Locey said...

He is suffering terribly, isn`t he? Thank you for stopping by, Tricia.

Iris B said...

It's not a genre I would usually read, but I'm getting the hang of it and liking it! Great post.

V.L. Locey said...

That is so great to hear, Iris! I always love finding and enjoying a new genre!