Thursday, July 4, 2013

The Equal Rights Blog Hop - July 4 through July 7

What does being a member of the GLBT community mean to me?



Wow, that`s one tough question to answer. I suppose I never really thought about it before now. I just was. There was not one brilliant moment of light that made me leap onto the GLBT bandwagon that I can recall. I simply was here, walking proudly beside those who love within their own gender. I`ve been blessed with an open and rather liberal heart, I suppose. Or perhaps there was a nudge . . .

At a very young age, I was shown how hatred lives in our world. I recall being told I shouldn`t play with a young black girl by my step-father when I was perhaps five. The reason is not one that needs to be explained, we all know why a white girl was being led away from a black girl in 1966. Perhaps it was that incident that helped shape me? I don`t honestly know. I do know my mother battled for my rights to play with who I wished, sadly to no avail, so maybe it was my mother who instilled the notion of accepting everyone for who they are. If so, thank you, Mom, for that and so much more.

 I am an ally of the GLBT community and quite proud of it. Being a part of this wonderful community means that I stand behind acceptance for all people. It means that I shine the light on those who try to infringe on basic human rights when I can. It means I try to put forth the good within the GLBT community that I stand beside. It means I teach my daughter and her children that love is not based on what sex the person lying beside you in bed is.

It means I write romances that show loving couples, be they a man and a woman, or a man and a man, and I hold my work up high for all to see. It means I have a responsibility to keep helping my allies win the battle for marital rights, being able to walk safely down the street, and living their lives just as my husband and I do. It means I try my best to show those who live in fear of others that there is nothing to fear. It means I try to dispel the darkness some carry within to the best of my ability by writing love stories that show how true love really can conquer all.


*~*~*


Looking for zombies, humor, and loving committed men (Who isn`t?)? Don`t want wait until October when that show with the hot crossbow-toting man starts (It`s only July?!)? Grab a copy of Two Guys Walk into an Apocalypse 2: It Came From Birmingham from Torquere Press and spend your holiday weekend up to your elbows in laughter, macaroni salad, sparklers, and undead goop!

 To win a free e-copy of Two Guys 2, just leave a comment below. I`ll use the always amazing Random Thing Picker to pick a winner sometime Sunday. Make sure to leave your e-mail address so I can contact you and give you your prize!




Please visit the other wonderful supporters of this community and blog hop by clicking on the link below. Thank you, and to those who celebrate, have a wonderful holiday weekend!


For the Grand Prize Giveaway: The year I had my first taste of injustice was _______.





22 comments:

S. J. Qualls said...

I have never in my life seen what the difference is between people, unless they are mean spirited.

Cathy Brockman said...

very well said.

V.L. Locey said...

Thanks for stopping in SJ and Cathy! I couldn`t agree more SJ.

Anonymous said...

Even though zombies make me nervous, this does look like a fun one!

vitajex(at)aol(dot)com

V.L. Locey said...

Paul and Gordon are quite the couple! Good luck in the drawing Anonymous. =)

sue said...

I'm with you - totally relate

V.L. Locey said...

Thanks for stopping in, Sue! Sadly, I imagine quite a few people can relate.

Cornelia said...

Thanks for post and hop.
cvsimpkins@msn.com

Charlie Cochet said...

Hi V.L. Thank you so much for taking part in the hop and for the lovely post! Have a great weekend!

charlie@charliecochet.com

Iyana Jenna said...

It's a lovely post. :)

iyanajenna@yahoo.com

V.L. Locey said...

Thanks for stopping in my fellow bloggers! This is a great hop and I do hope it helps spread the message.

H.B. said...

Wonderful post. Thank you for taking part in the hop and sharing your story.

I love Zombie books and look forward to reading yours win or no win.

humhumbum AT yahoo DOT com

V.L. Locey said...

Thank you H.B., I hope you enjoy Paul and Gordon`s adventures. Good luck in the drawing!

Lena Grey said...

Thanks for joining the hop!

lena.grey.iam@gmail.com

Cathy Romanczuk said...

Finally, I am not the oldest person here (maybe?), I love zombie stories and my TBR list just keeps getting longer! Thanks,
Cathy

romanczukc@yahoo.com

Sherry said...

I enjoyed your post and this sounds like a very interesting book.
sstrode at scrtc dot com

V.L. Locey said...

Lena-It`s great to be hopping with so many great authors!

Cathy-I know what you mean about our poor TBR piles. =)

Sherry-Many thanks, and it`s a pleasure to meet you!

Lisa said...

Great post. This book is going on my TBR list (which is growing exponentially)
The answer to your question is 1966

Wolphcall(at)bellsouth(dot)net

V.L. Locey said...

Thanks for commenting! Good luck in the drawing. =)

Sarah Madison said...

It never ceases to amaze me how 'colorblind' children are--it is the adults who always object. Your mom sounds like an awesome woman. Thanks for sharing with us!

V.L. Locey said...

That is very true, Sarah, children don`t see color. And yeah, Mom was a great woman. Thanks for commenting!

V.L. Locey said...

Okey-dokey! I have entered all the wonderful commenters names into the always super Random Thing Picker, and the winner of the free copy of Two Guys 2 is . . .

Cathy Brockman!

Congratulations Cathy, and I`ll be getting in contact with you soon!

Thank you all so much for stopping in! Keep laughing and loving!

V.L. Locey