Thursday, June 20, 2013

Silly Goose

Yes, I have one. Well, actually I have five, but for this short story we`ll stick to just the one.

It all started about five weeks ago when my two geese decided it was time to sit. I was all sorts of cool with that. After all, I do love my web-footed friends! Their nests had a nice amount of eggage ( adding the –age there was for all my friends from Minnesota) and so we let them do their thang. Well, as it worked out somehow, a week ago Diane, my eldest goose, hatched out one gosling, who we named Smitty.



Only one gosling out of about seven eggs? Hmm, that`s rather odd, and very unlike my ganders. I saw them doing their gander duties quite often, so the fertility rate should have been higher. Upon further investigation in the goose coop (at risk of flogging and pinching since Zoey was still on her nest and in a fowl mood) we discovered that Zoey had snaggled a few eggs from Diane somehow. What happened to the rest we don`t know. We`re assuming a few got broken but it`s a mystery.

Well, as you can see Smitty is darn cute. Heck, I`d hang with him if I could, but I can`t since his bodyguards are known to throw hissy-fits all the times if I get near him. It seems that Smitty is SO cute that he can even draw sitting geese off their nests. Uh-huh. Zoey abandoned her nest to chill out with Smitty and his posse. Being the kind of people we are, Mister and I gathered the nine eggs and put them into the magic box. A few days ago the eggs hatched. Out of the nine original we had seven after candling. Out of those seven only four hatched, but oh-my-gosh what an adorable gaggle of fluffy butts they are!












Cute as buttons, aren`t they?



4 comments:

S. J. Qualls said...

yes, cute as buttons :)

V.L. Locey said...

They really are, SJ. =)

Cathy Brockman said...

Ahh they are adorable!!

V.L. Locey said...

I swear there is nothing cuter than widdle geese and ducks. Well, maybe goat kids. And kittens and piglets and puppies and . . .

:)