Sunday, June 30, 2013

Celebrating 22 years in Goatherder style!



Morning all! If you`ve followed this blog for awhile, or know me, you know my family and I are living the rural dream. Raising dairy goats, chasing chickens, getting pinched by the occasional irate goose. Yesterday, Mister and I celebrated our twenty -second wedding anniversary. We decided to do this in true rural fashion  by staying home and doing the things that we enjoyed when we were first sparking. We didn`t have cash to burn then and we still don`t, but we still enjoy the same things - more or less - that we did so many years ago.

So, here`s how a goofy goatherder and her fuzzy-faced hubby spent their special day this year.

First thing bright and early we hit the bass pond!



Pretty up here in the Laurel Highlands, isn`t it? No fishing trip is complete without an oarsman. This is mine, just as handsome as he was twenty-two years ago, but with considerably more gray hair in his beard.



And who catches the first bass of the day? Me. Eat your heart out Jimmy Houston.



We - or I should say I - had a wee fright during our fishing trip. I was casting along merrily when my husband says -

"Now don`t freak out but . . ."

Of course, when someone says that to me, I assume a swarm of killer bees have landed on my back. I have a terror of bees and stinging things that goes beyond any rational explanation. I reply to his statement with my own.

"Get it off me!"

"No, it`s not a bee, it`s a snake under the boat seat," he informs me. Letting loose a huge sigh of relief I peek down to see the snout of a grass snake peering out from under the seat. His little red tongue was flickering as he tried to figure out why his cozy home was now floating instead of resting upside on the bank.

"Okay, cool, I like snakes," I smiled and resumed casting for bass.

"Just wanted you to know in case he went up your pant leg," my spouse said.

Yes, I would imagine a snake up my pant leg might very well result in the boat being capsized. Fortunately, the snake stayed under the seat, and Mister and I stayed dry. After a lovely few hours we returned home, got to say goodbye to Miss leaving for a graduation party and a night at her boyfriend`s house, and did a few chores.

Dinner was a delicious pot of Chicken Chow Mein, something we usually never have because Miss dislikes Chinese.



And to wrap up this lovely day, a really funny movie on pay-per-view.



So that`s how we elder goatherder`s celebrated our anniversary. Well, that`s not all the celebrating we did, but I`m not sharing everything with you! *winks naughtily*


6 comments:

Cathy Brockman said...

sounds fun but I think id have taken an impromtu swim when he told me about the snake LOL>

V.L. Locey said...

Tee-hee. Snakes and me get along fine. Now bees on the other hand . . .

S. J. Qualls said...

Belated Happy Anniversary!

Nice bass, btw!

V.L. Locey said...

Thank you, and thank you, SJ! =)

dontevertellalex said...

The water looked so inviting on the photos until you mentioned snakes!!
Happy anniversary.

V.L. Locey said...

That mention of snakes made quite a few people edgy. =D