Monday, May 27, 2013

Tuesday Tales - Library

Hello! It`s time for Tuesday Tales again. This week I`ll be sharing an excerpt from my WIP (Work In Progress) Pink Pucks and Power Plays, an M/F sports romance, starring my sassy curvaceous society page reporter, Viviana Land, and defenseman for the Philadelphia Wildcats professional hockey team, Alain Lessard.

In today`s excerpt, Alain and Viviana are spending some time at the rink with the kids.

This week our word prompt is ‘Library’. Since this is a rough draft there may be some mistakes. I do apologize for any boo-boo you may find.

Please do check out the other wonderful writers after you`re done reading by clicking on the Tuesday Tales link at the bottom. Thanks for stopping in!


               Clara tapped my shoulder. I looked up from skate lacing.

                “Are you and Coach Lessard boyfriend and girlfriend?”

                 The entire group of scouts, and my sister, were waiting on tenterhooks for my reply.

                “Coach Lessard and I are just friends,” I said, neatly avoiding the issue.

                “Friends with benefits,” Violet murmured then left to find that notebook. Clara wasn`t buying it either it seemed, for she folded her arms and cocked one dark eyebrow at me.

                “I`m friends with Boris Kieron and he never kisses my neck. I think you and Coach Lessard are make-out buddies.”

                “Where did you ever hear that term?” I asked in shock.

                “On that new teen Nick show about the girl who works in the library,” she announced, spun around and ran into a group of giggling girls who were all staring at me and tittering into their hands. I made a mental note to ask Violet what kind of shows they were playing on Nickelodeon nowadays.

                Watching the tiny kids on ice was amusing as all hell. They hung onto every word Alain and Bruno passed along, trying their best to emulate the moves their hero was showing them. I glanced at my girls in their Busy Bee uniforms with black joggers and turtlenecks for added warmth. They were quite behind the toddlers in the basics. I hoped Alain could get them up to snuff in time for their first practice game against the boys.

The Mighty Mites skated off after thirty minutes, which appeared to be the length of their attention spans. Alain skated over to Bruno, looking beyond tasty in plain jeans and one of his Wildcat jerseys. He wore no padding just his skates and that damned disarming smile. The girls were fidgety. I stood up and made my way to the gate, my skates feeling heavier than they had just last night. Alain glanced up and waved at me.

                “Okay girls,” I opened the gate onto the ice, “Let`s show them what Busy Bee Scouts can do with a puck!” I cheered. Violet clapped. The other moms in the stands sat on their hands. A few of the older boys guffawed as my girls stumble-bumbled onto the ice. Most went down instantly, their spindly legs splaying out like Bambi when he tried to cross that frozen pond. Sticks went flying and spinning across the glassy surface. “And that`s lesson number one of how to fall down without hurting yourself!” I announced brightly, hauling a thin young black girl with braces on her teeth back to her skates. Alain and Bruno assisted getting the girls back up. I could hear the barely veiled guffaws from the spectators.

                “That is how we all started out,” Alain told the girls who looked close to tears as they hung onto the boards in humiliation. “There is not a player here,” his baritone carrying through the rink, “that has not fallen on his backside. As I told your Coach Land, it is how we learn to get up. Now, let`s practice learning to skate forward.”

Copyright ©by V.L. Locey

*~*~*

Thanks for stopping in to visit! For more free reads by great authors follow the link back to the Tuesday Tales main blog.


See you next week for more from Viviana and Alain!






15 comments:

Iris B said...

Nice instalment for this week. Loving this story.

V.L. Locey said...

Thank you, Iris!

SherryGLoag said...

Love that he raised his voice loud enough for the boys to hear about falling down and getting up again! Great scene.

V.L. Locey said...

Thanks, Sherry. Sometimes those who are advanced forget how they were when they started out.

Jean Joachim said...

He's a wonderful hero, sexy and sweet and so cute with the little girls. I love the two of them. This is a great romance and I'm looking forward to the next episode. Well done!

Davee said...

definitely! i love teaching about getting right back up. love this post

Lindsay said...

Many at time when I was learning to skate my butt and the ice met so I can understand.

V.L. Locey said...

Skating has never been my strong suit, so I can sympathize with new skaters very well!

Kathleen Ball said...

A beautiful story

V.L. Locey said...

Thank you, Kathleen.

triciaandersen said...

I have such a crush on Alain! He is so sweet, and sexy, and I love coaches who lift up their athletes instead of put them down. Great job!

V.L. Locey said...

I have a crush on him as well, Tricia. Thanks for dropping in!

Karen Cino said...

Well written. I especially like this sentence: “And that`s lesson number one of how to fall down without hurting yourself!”

I went ice skating twice in my life and both times i was down on my butt.

Jillian said...

another wonderful scene. This is coming along quite nicely!!

V.L. Locey said...

Warm thanks Jillian and Karen.

My skating trips ended with me spending more time on my backside than skating. =)