Thursday, May 9, 2013

To Thine Own Self Be True




     Boy, that Will Shakespeare really knew how to string words together, didn`t t he? Seems like pretty good advice that Polonius was passing along to his son in Hamlet.

     That sage saying can be applied to many things throughout life as well as to writing. What made me think of the dour Dane was hearing a fellow writer complaining about the fact that she can`t/won`t write BDSM, and she is not having success selling her manuscripts since that is all the publisher`s supposedly want now. I haven`t seen this trend with my publisher Torquere, but since the fame of 50 Shades, I don`t doubt that BDSM is the hot new thing.

     A few years ago it was sparkly vampires. Before that it was boy wizards. These things go in cycles. Next it could be steampunk lesbian werewolves or gay zombie hunters. Oh, yeah, the gay zombie hunter thing is already here! I`m shameless, I know. *winks*

     The point I was trying to make before I got led astray by gay zombie hunters is that it`s really okay to not want to write the current hot trend. If you don`t like writing BDSM, or steampunk lesbian werewolves, or westerns, or science fiction, or whatever, then don`t!

     If you`d like to dip your toes into a new genre then please do leap into it. You never know where it may lead you. If someone had told me a year ago I`d be enjoying writing gay zombie romance stories I would have laughed at them, but here I am having one hell of a good time! I`m also toying with the idea of a western, which is something I`ve never written, but these are decisions I make based on what I wish to do. If I do pen a western, it will be because I want to, and not because all the publishers are clamoring for westerns.

     See, I firmly believe that if you don`t love what you`re writing it will show. If you aren`t infatuated with the genre or the premise your work will reflect it, no matter how well written the story may be. Write as you can, not as you think you should.

     Look, I fully understand how tough it is trying to make it as a writer. You struggle and shove and nudge and sometimes suplex your way to the doorway of fame, only to get it slammed on your toes. Family and friends aren`t always helpful either. I recall a loved one saying to me ‘Why don`t you write something people want to read?’

     Yeah, ouch right? And they didn`t mean it maliciously. They were trying to say that I should write something like 50 Shades. Then I`d be rich and famous and not working my fanny off to sell a hundred books. Thanks but no thanks. I would rather have books stored in my closet then write something that I didn`t love.

     I know I may not ever be on Oprah dishing about my best-seller, or I might never have thousands of screaming fans, but that`s okay. I`m telling the stories that I want to tell. I am being as true to myself and my muse as I can be.

     So be true to yourself my fellow scribes. Write what you love, live what you write, and let the world`s next trend come and go as it will. We might not be rich but we`ll be telling tales that we adore to fans who cherish them as much as we do.


No comments: