Monday, March 18, 2013

Tuesday Tales - Tight



Hello! It`s time for Tuesday Tales again. This week I`ll be sharing an excerpt from my WIP (Work In Progress) All I Want for Christmas, a holiday themed M/M romantic comedy that was born from a previous picture prompt here on Tuesday Tales. This story is completed and is now in the first round of editing.


This week our word prompt is ‘Tight’. Since this is a rough draft there may be some mistakes. I do apologize for any boo-boo you may find.

Please do check out the other wonderful writers after you`re done reading by clicking on the Tuesday Tales link at the bottom. Thanks for stopping in!





“Wow,” I huffed, letting my fingers dance over his thick bicep, “You sure do know how to win your houseguest`s hearts.” I was teasing while debating about leaning in to capture his mouth again. That never happened though because when I glanced from his swollen lips I noticed that the man looked like he had just seen a specter.

“I think we should call a tow truck,” he announced brusquely. My sex-drugged brain was slower than normal. He got to his feet clumsily to dress.

“Uhm . . . what?” I asked sharply. “That`s what you have to say? I`m sorry for my confusion but didn`t we just share something intimate and special here?”

Cooper shook his head. My mouth dropped open.”Ah, so that`s it,” I said icily a moment later, “Okay, I get it. Jesus on a holy cracker, you are the biggest coward I have ever had the misfortune of meeting! Go call the tow truck. I`ll just borrow a shovel and dig out then wait by my car.” I pushed to my feet, incensed and hurt and feeling as stupid as a man could. I couldn`t find my clothes quickly enough.

“Alex, I didn`t mean – You`re just too – It`s not as simple as-”

“It is that simple, Cooper. It is just that simple.” I shoved past him, clipping him with a hard shoulder shot that made the man grunt. I threw on my clothes and out into the cold I went, my burning anger and indignation keeping me well warmed. A shovel rested beside his back door. It was ripped from its spot. I waded out into the driveway, cursing the millions of diamonds that glistened on the snows crusty top. I had never been so thoroughly humiliated and hurt. I called myself terrible names for allowing him to weasel into my emotions so easily.

Each shovel of snow that flew over my back was a heated expletive aimed at myself first and Cooper second. I had to berate myself because Cooper was just being who he was. He had been forthright throughout. It was me that had weakened. It was me that had kissed him first. And yes, it was still me that would go back if he came out here and asked me to. I was just tugging the driver`s side door open when a bright yellow tow truck came rattling down the freshly plowed road. His chains were noisome but necessary.

“Got a call you need someone to tug you out? You need a tow afterwards?” the driver, a man with only a few teeth and a wad of chewing tobacco between his lip and gum, asked. I shook my head. I would sooner walk back to Craggy Falls then ride anywhere with this man. He spat, splattering the white snow with brown juice. I turned away from the sight.

“I should be fine once you pull me out,” I said, closing the door and stepping to safety while Pete the Spitting Tow Truck driver did what he had to do. It took but a moment and my Camry was sitting pretty, all cleared from the snow that had trapped her two days ago. I dug into my glove box and handed him the emergency twenty I carry. He didn`t seem overly pleased but shoved the greenback into his pants pocket before heading off for the next stranded traveler. Or maybe I was the only asscake that had been out during the storm.

Two days ago. It felt much longer than that. It felt like I had been a part of this man`s life for years, centuries perhaps. Correction, I could have been a part of it if not for his fear of commitment and my rabid desire for the white picket fence, two and a half kids, and a terrier named Checkers.

“Ho-fucking-ho,” I snarled then dropped into my car, never once using the rearview until I crossed the NY/PA border. Even then something knotted up tightly in my throat when I saw the Keystone state growing smaller and smaller then disappearing from sight altogether.



Copyright ©by V.L. Locey



*~*~*

We`ll be taking a week off next week, so that our Tuesday Tales writers can travel and celebrate the holiday weekend with family. We`ll be back the following week to continue our tales.
For more great free reads by talented writers just click the link below-

Tuesday Tales







9 comments:

Sarah said...

Ugh...why are men so stupid?! DAng...I need to know more. This break we're taking is going ot kill me. lol

triciaandersen said...

Nooooo! Cooper, you weren't supposed to prove Alex right. I really hope Cooper redeems himself for this one.

V.L. Locey said...

I know, it makes you want to slap Cooper right upside his head.

Karen Cino said...

Yeah. What's wrong with Cooper?

Jean Joachim said...

Love the emotion mixed with humor in this story. "Pete the spitting tow truck driver" -- fabulous imagery there. I can actually see him. Even the 1st person works for me. Well done! I hope Cooper is going to come to his senses.

SherryGLoag said...

I love how you depict Alex's emotions, so true to life, great tale.

V.L. Locey said...

Thanks TT family.

Seems like we have a consensus about Cooper and his senses!

Lindsay said...

Such great emotion in this scene.

V.L. Locey said...

Thanks Lindsay.