Monday, March 11, 2013

Tuesday Tales - Picture Prompt




Hello! It`s time for Tuesday Tales again. This week I`ll be sharing an excerpt from my WIP (Work In Progress) All I Want for Christmas, a holiday themed M/M romantic comedy that was born from a previous picture prompt here on Tuesday Tales. This story is completed and is now in the first round of editing.


We have a picture prompt this week so the excerpt is written to reflect the image and must be under 300 words. Since this is a rough draft there may be some mistakes. I do apologize for any boo-boo you may find.

Please do check out the other wonderful writers after you`re done reading by clicking on the Tuesday Tales link at the bottom. Thanks for stopping in!







Hoping to find some solace and not freeze off my dangly man bits, I pushed into Cooper`s studio. I hurried to close the door behind me. The small renovated barn was chilly. I flipped the lights on then proceeded to stoke the barrel woodstove. Smoke slipped into the room as I closed the stove door, mixing with the aroma of turpentine.

I strolled along, looking at oil paintings on the log walls of Canadian geese on ponds, black bears eating berries, Eastern wild turkeys strutting, a ruffed grouse on a log, and a crystal clear brook - iced on the edges - with a huge grouping of native trout just under the surface.

Cooper could paint wildlife like no other artist I had ever seen. Each fin, feather or furred rendition seemed to breathe and twitch as you studied the canvas. I paused by an easel, and being the sort of man I am, I lifted the paint speckled cloth.

I stared at a fall scene with golden leaved trees and a bright green rhododendron, its flowers long spent. A weak looking split-rail fence ran through the setting. I could find no sign of any Pennsylvania wildlife, Cooper`s bread and butter.

I wondered what he had in mind for this painting. I wondered what he had in mind for us. Hell, I wondered what I had in mind for us. I let the tarp flutter back down to cover the unfinished work. It was too damned hard to try to foresee the future, be it a painting or a relationship.



Copyright ©by V.L. Locey



*~*~*



For more great free reads by talented writers just click the link below-

Tuesday Tales

See you next week with more from Alex and Cooper!





14 comments:

SherryGLoag said...

What shuld be a leisurely stroll through his thoughts was packed with pace and emotion. Great snippet.

Jean Joachim said...

Love this story! Your descriptions were so evocative I felt as if I were looking at the paintings myself.

V.L. Locey said...

Thank you kindly ladies. These two gents are real favorites of mine.

triciaandersen said...

I really love Alex. I love the inner turmoil - him debating to do what he should versus what he wants. He really needs to do what he wants...

Sarah said...

A simple painting turns into deep reflection. Well done...well done indeed :)

V.L. Locey said...

Thank you Sarah and Tricia for stopping in!

I love Alex as well. He`s quite a reflective person and they are such fun to write.

Pamela Mason said...

Your writing just keeps getting better and better. I love this - can smell the smoke and turpentine and see the paintings and now I'm intrigued with the protags.

Lindsay said...

Very emotional ending to the scene

Iris B said...

really liked the descripions and the parallel to their relationship.

V.L. Locey said...

Many thanks!

It`s always pleasing to hear that one is improving. Lord knows we all have room to learn and grow in our craft.

Fiona Druce said...

I really like your characters! :)

V.L. Locey said...

Thanks, Fiona! I like them too. =)

Tai Vicari said...

Alex is going to torment himself. I hope that Cooper wants a relationship? I love this story line and can't wait to read more.

V.L. Locey said...

Many thanks, Tai. I hope Cooper decides to get over his fear too.