Thursday, March 14, 2013

A Book and a Cuppa - Warm Bodies



Hi there gang! It`s been awhile since I`ve done a lone book review. I do apologize but I`ve been reading series from one end to the other. First it was BDB to get ready for the new book from the WARDen due out on March 26th. Then I got merrily immersed in the Tales of the City series by Armistead Maupin. I still have a couple of those yet to read but I did sneak this book in between Michael Tolliver`s romances and dramas. I finally got around to reading Warm Bodies by Isaac Marion.



Since I`ve been writing zombie romance comedies – or Zom-Rom-Com – to quote my friend, Kevin Coolidge, I`ve found myself more and more interested in other novels in my genre. Granted, most aren`t gay erotic zombie tales but the general themes seem to carry through. I came across this book by seeing the trailers for the movie that just came out a month or so ago. I have not yet seen the movie but I thought I had a general idea of the premise from the trailer.

Either I was wrong or the movie was much funnier than the novel. Please note that the book is not toted as a Zom-Rom-Com but merely as a Zom-Rom which is where I think folks may be misled. While there are moments that are amusing this book is not a comedy. It is endearing, moving, powerful, romantic, and entertaining though.

The book is about a zombie known as ‘R’ who lives in a post-apocalyptic world. R falls in love with Julie, the girlfriend of a young man whose brains R recently ate. Yes, I know, the premise sounds a bit squicky for non-zombie fans but don`t give up on it just yet. R and Julie will grow on you. It seems that the zombies in Mr. Marion`s world appropriate the memoires of the people they ingest. R saves Julie and takes her back to his home at the airport where they begin to know each other. It would spoil if I told much more from here on out, so I won`t.

R is an amazing character in that he holds onto his emotions after his infection. That is a rarity in most zombie books. I`m not saying it is good or bad as I`m a fan of the Romero zombies personally, but it does make R unique. He clings to what made him human and he wishes to return to that sublime state. He wants to be more than he currently is, and I think we can all relate to that.

Julie is a wonderful young woman. She`s tough, tender, assertive, straight forward about what she wants and needs yet still has moments of utter childlike need. The world building isn`t anything spectacular, it`s pretty much our world now with zombies. The action is pretty nicely bundled and the plot is tight. The secondary characters are engaging, especially R`s buddy M, the undead ladies man.

A potentially distasteful romance is handled with delicacy and sensitivity. I highly recommend this book to anyone who enjoys a good zombie yarn. I found it to be a very enjoyable book about what makes us human and give it a solid four stars.

No comments: