Thursday, February 14, 2013

Guest Blogger - Kayelle McClive


As a special Valentine`s Day treat today we have the author of a newly released romance novel! What better way to celebrate the day then discussing love and romance? I`m thrilled to have Kayelle here today. She`s a lovely, witty, talented writer who shares a smiliar attraction for a certain Marvel comics archer that I have. I know you`ll enjoy meeting her!

It`s all yours, Kayelle!

*~*~*



First of all I must thank the lovely Vicki for hosting me here today.


I figured I could give a little insight into how Confederate Moon came to life and the years (literally) that went into making it.

My husband and I do professional photography. We were shooting a wedding at the Mormon/Farnsley House in Louisville, KY. It was at one time a plantation farm. There were various little displays where the wedding reception was being held and some of them referenced the slaves lives etc. My husband casually walks up to me and says. “What if the South won the Civil War because vampires made themselves known to the world and helped them to win?”

My brain exploded into a million ideas, all over the place but the one idea I kept coming back to was that slavery would still exist, but in a different form. Corporations and Banks wouldn’t be the source of wealth, it would be individuals who had control of large amounts of money, mainly vampires. Vampires would pull the strings of the wealthy, the politicians and never lift a real finger.

Of course I had to throw the werecreatures (wolves, leopards, bears etc) into the mix as the adversaries. They needed to be the equalizers while the mages stood on whichever side of the fence they benefitted from more.

The idea that one could become a slave due to the debt they owed seems rather barbaric to us but in an alternate reality where vampires, werewolves, mages, demons and angels exist and are out in the open, it could be very real. And it worked well to put humans very shakey ground.

So began almost a year of study before I ever really put pen to paper. I looked up Civil War battles, economics, the reason why the Civil War happened, (yes it was slavery but it honestly came down to the almighty $$.) I read a lot, I took a college course on the subject and then read a little more.

I fell in love with that time period in American history and to be able to warp it, to add the supernatural and bend it to my will has been far more fun than I ever dreamed. The West was never settled and is called the Wilds of the West, it mainly belongs to the indigenous peoples, the Native Americans. The werecreatures are welcome there, vampires, not so much.

Will you see mention of this in the book, not a lot. Authors will tell you that 90% of the research you do to create a world never sees the light of day, but we need it to know who are characters are, the world they live in and how they survive.

I hope this little insight has peaked your interest in my first novel. “Confederate Moon.”

Enjoy Everyone!!

*~*~*

“Look at your neck and tell me you can decide who to trust or not. God damnit!” he growled, slamming his hand into the steering wheel before he ran it over his face.

I looked into the mirror and noticed the two small wounds in my neck—a vampire bite. I looked over at him, then at the wounds, touching them. They hurt, they were fresh, and the blood that remained on my fingers was proof of that.

“What the hell is going on, Nolan? I just met you last night and you’re ordering me around like a child. Who are you? Why did you buy the bar, huh? You’re not telling me everything I need to know.” I could feel it then, that he was hiding something from me.

He turned to look at me. “Promise me, Bryne, that you will not go to her or try and find out about your family, at least not from her.”

“Why would I promise you anything?”

“Because I’m asking you to!” he yelled, but there was a growl in it. It wasn’t a sound that could be mistaken for anything else. It didn’t scare me as much as it made me angry. I folded my arms across my chest and turned to look out the window. It wasn’t that he made me angry; it was the gut reaction of wanting to obey him. I wanted to do what he told me, and I had no clue why. It was the same feeling as when he’d told me to get into the truck.

“Fine. Whatever,” I muttered. I wanted to get to my place and away from Nolan. Whatever dreams I’d had about him last night were totally ruined. To be honest, there was a part of me that found it kind of cool that he was being all wolfy with me. I mean I barely knew the guy so Estellan must be really bad news for him to be so adamant about me staying away from her.

Neither of us spoke the rest of the ride back. The only sounds were those of the truck on the road and the storm that raged overhead.

The minute Nolan put the truck into park, I threw the door open and headed for the front door. I had nothing to say to him right then, and the farther I was from him the better. I fumbled with the keys that hung around my wrist, trying to find the right one as the rain soaked me. I heard the door slam and knew he was right behind me.

“Bryne, stop!” he said as he grabbed the keys from my hand. I hated his damn wolf fast reflexy…whatever it was!

“Give me the keys. I promised I would stay away from her, now leave me alone.”

“I need to explain,” he said right before thunder shook the ground as it rolled through the sky.

“Explain what? That you said you owned me?” I yelled back at him. I took a step forward, pointing a finger at him. “You don’t own me, you got that? You bought the bar debt. You didn’t buy me. I’m not a whore. I’m not your slave, and you can’t treat me like a child.” I jabbed my finger into his chest. “So back the fuck off, mister!” I didn’t care that I was getting wet or that I was arguing with a werewolf on the sidewalk in front of my bar. A very gorgeous, sexy werewolf who’d just carried me over his shoulder out of a vampire’s house.

The next thing I knew his hands were on my face and he was kissing me. Dear God could he kiss! If I thought the dream I’d had the night before was amazing, this put it to shame. The real thing was waybetter than a dream. His lips pressed hard against mine, his tongue pushed into my mouth making my knees weak.

Kissing him back was instinct and without a thought I grabbed the belt loops of his jeans, holding on as we kissed. I didn’t care that we were standing there in heavy rain, or that the winds had picked up around us. All I cared about was the feel of his lips on mine, and his tongue swirling against my own. The connection I’d felt the night before returned, the heat from him filled me up, wrapped around me like a warm blanket, and I wanted to stay there forever. I gripped his belt loops tighter, wanting to hold onto him as long as I could.

He pulled back from me quickly and stared down at me, water running down his face, dripping from his beard. “You need to get inside and get dry. I’ll be by later this afternoon with the paperwork.”

And without another word he pushed my keys into my hand and left me standing there, lips still swollen and throbbing, my body instantly cold.





2 comments:

S. J. Qualls said...

I can relate about the research, I was in the trenches for days and think I only mentioned in one sentence. :-)

V.L. Locey said...

Thanks for stopping in, Sherry! Yes, research is a necessary evil that sometimes we use extensively and sometimes hardly at all.