Sunday, January 27, 2013

A Book and a Cuppa - Somebody`s Baby



Have you ever come across a book that you find in a school/library sale, sitting innocently amid many others of its genre, whispering to you to purchase it? You grab the novel up, read the back, ponder for a moment, and then slide it into the huge stack you`re trying to balance. It is truly amazing what that fifty cent book can be when you finally open its pages. Do not ever judge a book by the price being asked for it. The book we`re chatting about today has been a double blessing for me. I`ll explain as we go, so let`s jump into my review!


Somebody`s Baby by Elaine Kagan is a riveting book that has me on the lookout for more of Ms. Kagan`s works. I love her style. Her characters speak the way people speak. They come alive from the very first page and keep you reading steadily until you reach the last page.



In Somebody`s Baby we meet Jenny Jaffe, a wealthy Jewish girl living in a rather affluent area of Kansas City in 1959. Gentile boys are a no-no. Gentile boys with tattoos, who had served time in jail, had drifted in from California, and are working at a gas station are so far off-limits they may as well be Martian`s. Jenny knows all those rules, but she first sets her sights on Will McDonald, everything she knows about right and wrong dissipates.

Jenny and Will become an inseparable, passionate, amazingly well written teen couple. By the end of her senior year, Jenny is pregnant. The two lovers make plans to run away and get married. She waits at the spot where Will is supposed to pick her up. He never shows.

What happens next is this incredible story about love, adoption, family, children, blood, and getting to know who and what you are. I won`t spoil anything because I want you to read this. I want you to get bound up in the heartbreak and the joy. I want you to shout and cry. I want you to read this book. I am positive you`ll come out of it with a glow of appreciation for your parents, and the love they gave you, be they biological or not.

I know I certainly was moved greatly by the novel, and, as an added bonus, I discovered a boarding pass in the book that someone must have used as a bookmark. That boarding pass is now hanging on my fridge and will be the basis for a future novel for me.

So thank you, Ms. Kagan, for the powerful book. And thank you, mysterious stranger, who shared this story with me so many years ago. I hope I can do your boarding pass justice.

2 comments:

Pamela Mason said...

I'll have to look for this one. Is it an old book? Can you tell me the year it was published?
Love stories like this....

V.L. Locey said...

It`s pretty old, Pamela. I think it might have come out in `98 but don`t quote me on that.