Sunday, November 11, 2012

To Honor a Veteran - Frank F. George Jr.

Tomorrow is Veteran`s Day here in the US. I thought I`d take just a minute to honor a vet in my life and pass along a small talk we had last weekend.


This is my step-father Frank F. George Jr. who served in World War Two as a Seabee in the United States Navy.





Most of you know my pop from me chatting about him and relaying stories about him. Last weekend he came out and wanted a picture taken of him and his dog Tinker sitting in his El Camino.

“My last dog in my last car,” he informed me as we went outside to snap the photo above. I surely hope not but since my dad was born on April 10, 1925 it might well be his last car and dog. We`ll keep thinking good thoughts though!

Pop was quite impressed by the ease of my digital camera. He had brought his camera, a 35 mm that he had found at the thrift shop for three dollars. My dad is quite proud of that camera and the price tag he got it for. Pop is always ready to save a penny or two. I think that goes back to living through the depression and not having those two pennies to rub together.

I told him that I could take his picture on my digital camera, download it, and print out copies for his Christmas cards in about two minutes. I don`t think he really believed me until I placed the copies into his hands.

“Well,” he said, looking intently at the images, “This is rather nice.”

“Yep,” I said, sitting down beside him on the couch, “No more waiting for a week to have pictures developed. No more fuzzy or blurry shots. I don`t think I`d ever go back to old cameras.”

“Huh,” he said, with his images an inch from his nose (his driving glasses were in the El Camino) “I guess my old 35 mm is obsolete now, just like the old dodder that uses it.”

“Nah,” I smiled and patted his shoulder gently, “You`ll never be obsolete pop.”

“I`m just a classic, is that it?” he chuckled.

“Yep, that`s it,” I smiled.

Y`all know the definition of a classic, right? Serving as a standard or model, of the highest class or rank according to Webster`s.

Here`s to you pop, and all those who have served to keep our country free. You truly are models of the highest quality.









4 comments:

Millie said...

Beautiful post!

Pamela Mason said...

Good Health and Long Life to your stepfather Vicki. Lovingly and well written salute to him.

Kellie Kamryn said...

What a great post! Your convo with your Pop brought a tear to my eye :)

Kathy Shea Mormino said...


I'd like to invite you to join me at the Clever Chicks Blog Hop this week! http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/11/clever-chicks-blog-hop-8-and-rural.html

I hope to see you there!
Cheers!
Kathy Shea Mormino
The Chicken Chick