Wednesday, October 31, 2012

NaNoWriMo Here I Come!

It`s that time of the year again. October is almost over and November is creeping up behind October like a child with mischief on its mind. For me November means two things: Thanksgiving and NaNoWriMo. What the Sam Hill is NaNoWriMo Vicki you may be asking. I`ll be glad to explain!





NaNoWriMo or National Novel Writing Month is an event sponsored by the non-profit organization The Office of Letters and Light.

http://www.lettersandlight.org/

OLL also offers a Camp NaNoWriMo and a Young Writers Program. The goal of NaNoWriMo is to write 50,000 words in a month. If that sounds like a lot of words well…it is! It`s a real life altering event for authors. You must put your fanny in that chair and write at least 1,700 words a day or you won`t win. The prize is a small banner for your blog or website and the knowledge that you kicked out 50K words in thirty days. There`s no money awards or gifts given for winners, those who complete the challenge get only the gift of pride that you give yourself for the hard work and discipline.

For writers who are lax on discipline, NaNo will either kill you or cure you. I don`t struggle with discipline thankfully. I have writing as a part of my daily routine like brushing my teeth or making the bed. Generally I whittle at my tales from seven in the morning, take a lunch break, and come back for another hour or two before Mister gets home. Or I might read after lunch or do housework or nap and claim to have done housework.

That is my general 'if life lets me' routine. NaNoWriMo means I have to forgo the after-lunch slouch. I must get back into the story to reach my daily word goal. No reading until evening. No napping with a book in my hand and calling it reading. No vacuuming or dusting unless it`s a fly-by with a feather duster to the tops of the lamp shades. NaNo takes over my life for November. My family is warned ahead of time that dinner may be sandwiches four nights out of seven. If that does not set well, they know where the sub shop is. Bring me home a turkey on Italian with American cheese and extra mayo no pickles or peppers!

I really enjoy the workout NaNoWriMo gives me though, even if my house suffers a bit from neglect. This year I`m hoping to get my third book close to/being done, if all goes well and the crick don`t rise as we say here in the hills. If I can get book number three done then I`ll dive into revisions and edits for book number two during December. I`m hoping for an early April 2013 release for Of Heroes and Haybales so edits are needed before year’s end.

While all this is going on with my self-published books, the short story I submitted to Torquere Press is going through final edits as well. He loves me for my brainsssss is an anthology of GLBT romance tales dealing with zombies and all the gory, funny, romantic things that we crazy authors can associate with them. I am thrilled beyond words about having had my story Two Guys Walk Into an Apocolypse picked! I seriously did a happy goatherder dance in my kitchen when I got the happy email from my editor at Torquere. That book is slated for release in January 2013 tentatively. I will certainly pass along all the info and links about it as it comes to me.







Gosh, I`m tired just reading all that! So where does this entire hullabaloo leave my blog? Well, it leaves it in pretty good shape actually. My Tuesday Tales for November are done and filed and ready for use. I may not be able to find time for the random or writing themed posts I`ve been doing on Friday`s of late. I`ll try my best to keep things moving along but if all you see or hear of me are my Tuesday Tales stories, that`s why. I`ll try to visit everyone at least once a week to say ‘Howdy!’ and ‘Coffee!’ or something along those lines. So if you see me wandering around mumbling to myself about Iron Man needing a hug just pat me on the head and point me back at my laptop.

For my NaNo writing buddies I want to wish you all good luck and I`ll see you over there, thermos of coffee at the ready and fingers all limbered up.



See y`all when the smoke clears!





3 comments:

edenhills said...

I don't know what I was thinking, but I signed on for this as well. I'm seriously not sure how I'll get it done. Here's hoping the OCD kicks in and makes me do it!

Mimi Foxmorton said...

See you guys in 30 days!
:D

(and looking forward to your words!)

V.L. Locey said...

Hope you guys are kicking the tar out of that word count goal!