Saturday, August 4, 2012

The Mystery of the Eternally Empty Dog Dish

There is a mystery in our house.






I`m thinking of calling in Sherlock Holmes to investigate but for some odd reason I suspect if Robert Downey Jr. walked into my house, I wouldn`t be talking to him about dog water dishes. More than likely I`d stand there, in my pink and yellow scruffy striped slippers because those are SO damned sexy, and babble incoherently whilst trying to place a finger on him in some unseen manner. So, for the sake of not making a fool of myself or having a restraining order slapped on me, I`ll skip calling RDJ and see if we can work out this confounding mystery ourselves.

It`s been going on for some time now. Years actually, yet this dastardly hot summer seems to have made the mystery grow exponentially. Even odder is that I seem to be the only person that notices or comments on the matter. My two other family members are oblivious to this ambiguity. It`s very perplexing. Let me explain and perhaps we can all use our skills at deduction to solve this.

First off, let me say that I have checked all the necessary things that need checked. The dog water dish does not possess a hole, crack, fissure, puncture, or perforation of any kind. I have held the dish up to the sunlight. Not one aperture could I find that would leak water.

Secondly, there is no indication that water has escaped in large amounts from said bowel. There are no huge puddles that require mopping. No large amounts of liquid seeping under the cabinet or being tracked through by twelve dog paws.

Thirdly, I have asked those that reside in my abode about their eyesight. They both assure me that they can, in fact, see perfectly well. I have checked their glasses and contacts and they seem to be in good repair and used daily.

So, now that I have laid the entire list above out for scrutiny, can anyone offer some ideas as to why the dog water dish is always empty? Also, while we`re ruminating on the apparent amazing amount of evaporation that occurs from said dog water dish, why is it that I am the only human in this dwelling that can see that the water dish is drier than the Sahara?

Perhaps it`s not a question of eyesight but hearing loss that plauges my family? Maybe they simply do not hear the dogs running their tongues over a bone-dry dish? It could be that the blare of the TV and the sounds of the X-Box combined with music from YouTube drown out the rasping tones of tongue on arid plastic. Maybe I should take Mister and Miss to an audiologist for a hearing evaluation?

I`m not sure as to what is occurring with the dog water dish, but, alas it is empty yet again and a dog is standing beside it, staring into the vast nothingness with their tongue hanging out.


While I go to fill the dish, I`ll leave all you clever bloggers to work on the clues.


A big yodel of welcome to The Island Cats! Welcome to the hillside farm.

6 comments:

TexWisGirl said...

time to add a few more dishes! or maybe a big tub! :)

V.L. Locey said...

Those are two good solutions TexWis! ;)

Nancy Claeys said...

One big bowl just does ot seem enough for our two -- the water disappears at least twice a day. I blame evaporation. :)

S. J. Qualls said...

My thought - nobody fills the bowl but you, everyone else pays no attention. That's the way around here.

Mimi Foxmorton said...

Water Pixies.....?
It happens.
;)

Have a Dish Full Day!

Mimi
The Goat Borrower

V.L. Locey said...

By jove, Sharon, I think you may be onto something! ;)