Friday, April 20, 2012

Word of Mouth-A Game of Thrones

Another book done! Ah, the satisfaction is great….usually. This time around I`m not satisfied at all. I need more…more I tell you, MORE. We`ll be spreading some word of mouth today about the novel ‘A Game of Thrones’ by George R.R. Martin.






I`ll start off by admitting that I am late for the game on this series, which so far includes (according to the inside cover) the second novel ‘A Clash of Kings’, ‘A Storm of Swords’, ‘A Feast of Crows’ and ‘A Dance with Dragons.’ I will be grabbing books three through five rest assured. This series was brought to my attention by a good internet friend who kept insisting I read it. I himmed and hawed because sweeping, political stories usually aren`t my thing. I`m more a Para/Rom or Rom/Com kind of gal. I don`t watch much TV either, and we don`t have premium movie channels like HBO where the series is now in its second season. After reading the book, I may try to convince hubby to sign up for HBO. That right there is a glowing recommendation from me, the one who scorns most television unless it has the words big, bang or theory in the title.

A Game of Thrones is epic, brilliant, compelling, addictive and majestic. It centers around the families Stark and Lannister mostly, but there is a deposed heir and his sister with the surname Targaryen that are moving to return to the lands of the North and South and reclaim the throne taken from their family. There is something for everyone in this book- romance, adventure, intrigue, fantasy, political maneuverings, sex, backstabbing and humor.

In these lands summer can last for decades but when winter comes it can last for a more than a lifetime. Winter is coming. Dark, sinister things are gathering beyond the kingdom of Winterfell`s protective Wall. What is massing beyond the Wall is just one of many subplots that are expertly woven together by Mr. Martin. You`ll meet bastards and wizards, assassins and soldiers, lords and ladies and kings and queens all playing a deadly game of thrones. There is betrayal, drama, tragedy, fear, victory and loss as allies and enemies clash to see who will sit on the Iron Throne.

The storylines and subplots are brilliant but it was the characters that pulled me in and held me as tightly as a direwolf`s jaws. Each family has stunningly crafted people that you meet and either hate or love. The bonding is swift and I found myself turning pages in a rush to see what happens to Eddard, Tyrion, Daenerys, Jon, Bran and Arya, just to name a few. I have an idea of what I would like to see happen to Joffrey that rotten, little….*Takes deep breath*

I had moments where I was simply stunned by what occurs on the page. At one point I had to lay the book down, my grief was that strong. Few books move me that way. JR Ward`s books move me to tears and outbursts and that is why I grovel at her tiny feet. Rick Riordan`s books make me cheer and laugh, also why I love his work as I do. I think I`ve just found another author to admire and another series to place on my shelf of ‘Never to Be Traded In’ novels.

3 comments:

TexWisGirl said...

i really don't read, but i am addicted to this HBO series. they throw in such unexpected brutality and yes, sinisterness.

NancyDe said...

I have to say, I am almost done with "A Storm of Swords" and although the first two books really grabbed my attention, I got a little bogged down in this one - until the end. Martin had too many characters spread out and the subplots were getting old - until he started to bring some of the characters back together to move the big ideas along. I am fascinated by Tyrion and Jaime - Martin does the best job with his anti-heroes.

Ohiofarmgirl said...

do you know you can buy it and watch online!?!? we love both amazon.com's instant video services - as well as itunes (which is where we got Season 1 of GofT). I think we paid less than $20 for the season - and we didnt have to get all of the other cable stuff. be warned tho - there was a lot nudity and graphic sex (we dont get off farm much and dont have cable so we were shocked to our shoes!). but we covered our eyes and watched the entire first season in a couple days - it was terrific. i'll be reading the books also.

:-)