Thursday, December 29, 2011

Someone`s Biological Clock is Wound Too Tightly

Morning all! I`m just pouring a fresh cuppa, so why don`t you join me? It`ll keep the frost from settling on your nose!

I just had to pass along this little surprise Miss Yodeling discovered yesterday afternoon. It seems that one of our broad-breasted hens, Bertha (She is indeed named after Bertha Butt from the song 'Troglodyte' by the Jimmy Castor Bunch. You all remember that song, don`t you?) has decided that the end of December is the perfect time to lay eggs!



Why Bertha has chosen the middle of winter to make a nest is FAR beyond me! Usually, turkeys are seasonal layers, starting when the amount of daylight is increasing nicely, like say, April. I can`t imagine that our BB tom, Andre, is fertile. I know that drakes and ganders don`t become potent until late spring, again directly related to the amount of light. She has been working on her little nest for awhile, since most hens lay an egg every other day and she had nine in her nest. One got broken, which is why most BB hens aren`t very successful brooders. A bird that weighs over thirty pounds is rough on eggs!

Of course, Mister`s eyes widened in glee when he saw the bounty! Now, the remaining eight eggs are in an incubator. We`ll candle them in a couple weeks and see if anything is growing. I have serious doubts but, hey, you never know, right?

I also wanted to give a warm yodel of welcome to Ann Thomas and drmomi! Howdy and welcome to the hillside farm, where the critters are nearly as goofy as the goatherders!

6 comments:

Michele Stefanides said...

Troglodyte! I haven't heard that in forever! I love your taste in music. Maybe your hen has heard me whining about nobody's hens laying, forcing me to buy grocery store eggs!

V.L. Locey said...

Heck, Michele, I have chicken eggs coming out of my keister. Well, not literally of course. If you want fresh eggs, just let me know! I`ll bring some to writers group for you.

Texan said...

Those eggs are pretty all speckled like that!

Nancy @ A Rural Journal said...

I'm getting eggs from our new "chicks" already. I guess the nice weather is confusing everyone! :)

d'Artagnan said...

Such pretty eggs. What a Christmas gift! :)

XOXO

d'Arty

MaSugar32 said...

Those are the biggest eggs I think I've ever seen! They look like teradactyl(totally missed spelled) eggs.