Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Madame Poe`s Inspirational Rumble-belly

Ah the joy of owing dogs. Sometimes our canine friends can give us inspiration even when they`re being as bad as a dog can be. Case in point - our thirteen year old yellow Lab, Poe, who suffers from hip dysplasia and yet can manage to find ways to get herself in trouble as if she were still a pup! Yesterday morning our Grand Dame went outside in the wee hours to heed Mother Nature`s call, along with our other two dogs, Trinity, our black Lab, and Tinker, our beagle. It was very early, perhaps ten after four, and I had yet to get my zombie cure into me. As I sipped on coffee the dogs were out doing what dogs do, which, in this instance, is climbing onto the picnic table and dumping a large tub containing deer scraps onto the ground.

It`s deer rifle season here in Pennsylvania, and my brother-in-law had bagged a doe on Saturday. Thankfully all the entrails had been left in the woods, but all the other assorted renderings from rib cages to fat, had been tossed into a large blue barrel by my husband and my brother-in-law. The hide would be sold for a few bucks (There`s a witty pun in there somewhere) and the rest were to be taken on the mountain for the skunks, opossums and raccoons to find. There is very little for the wildlife left now.

It seems our old, arthritic dog, the same one that needs help getting into our truck, found the fortitude to climb onto the picnic table and scatter a feast, not only for herself, but for the other dogs as well. Of course, while this was occurring, I was staring at the walls, hair askew, trying to get as much java into me as I could as quickly as I could. After realizing how long they had been gone, I started calling and finally the pack came back to the house, all licking their lips. When the sun rose, and my brain was filled with the rush of coffee, I saw the scattered offerings and sighed. I knew someone would pay the piper. When Mister got home, I showed him the carnage and he argued up and down that it must have been a bear. Poe was too old to climb up on the table as she had done many times in her younger days.

After careful crime scene investigation, the muddy dog prints on the top of the table showed my spouse inconclusively that it was a dog, and a large dog, that done did the deed!

Sure as shooting, Madame Poe has a terrible case of rumble-belly this morning. You know the sound of a gut churning and rolling over itself? It was that grumbling sound, accompanied by Madame Poe scrubbing on the hallway walls (Don`t ask, it`s something she has done for years when she wants out) that both my husband and I woke up to this morning. I have scolded the dog, myself and my husband soundly. But this morning, as I was drinking my zombie cure, I had a thought. Given the hour, I was impressed by having a thought at all, let alone a deep one! As Madame Poe`s belly gurgled and bubbled it came to me that even though the old girl had been very bad, she also has shown me something pretty important.

She has shown me that despite her age, her sore hips and arthritic joints that she is still willing to climb to reach her goals. She isn`t letting a little thing like old age stop her from getting what she wants, even if what she wants makes her suffer afterwards. This member of the silver-muzzle clan was determined not to let her age impede her. That`s a lesson I think many of us who are now over the fifty birthday candles milestone can take to heart. Just because it might take us longer to get to the top of the table then it used to doesn`t mean we shouldn`t try.

Thank you, Madame Poe, and your rumble-belly, for reminding me to never give up scaling the picnic tables of life.


10 comments:

Nancy @ A Rural Journal said...

First year in a long time my hubby didn't get a deer -- I will be missing my venison come March or so....

phylliso said...

My collie did that one year & I was dumb enough to believe that MY dog was above that & would never do such a thing.When he started pooping blood clots & got very sick I had to run him to the vet.The vet laughed about the notion Max was too dignified to do that.
But,you are correct, that is a good reminder for all of us,to keep moving forward in spite of our hurdles in life,phyllis

DogsMom said...

They never stop teaching us, do they.

TexWisGirl said...

oh, we know that rumble belly well, here at Run*A*Round. always picking up some carcass or critter out in the woods or fields and 'snacking' on it.

small farm girl said...

I know the belly rumble from my dog. It's usually when she gets into the cat food.

V.L. Locey said...

That rumble-belly is a familiar sound I gather. Yep, our pets are always teaching us something DogsMom.

Willard said...

Dogs will be dogs, but what is bad on our old homeplace is that my Dad picks up every disgusting thing he can find to give to the dogs or cats. He is always looking for the offal from butchering, etc. to give to them and this is dumped in a highly visible place, and left there until even the animals no longer want it and then someone else has it to carry away.

Charlotte said...

I like the moral of the story. I have a 13 year old Schnauzer, Diva, and she can still get into any trouble she wants to.

Country Dreaming said...

When one wants something badly enough they will do ANYTHING to get it. :)

Melinda

Paula said...

Awwww... cute story about sweet Madame Poe! Bless her poor little digestive system...