Sunday, November 20, 2011

Getting the Turkey to the Table

Hello there gang, drop on down and let`s shoot the breeze!

Today Mister and I got our Thanksgiving turkeys done. It`s been a few years since we dressed a meat turkey but it`s kind of like riding a bike as they say. Since it`s that time of year and folks seem to be interested in home butchering more and more, I thought I would share with y`all how we did our bird for the big day this Thursday. We started out with two, one white and one bronze broad-breasted tom.

Mister has decided to keep two bronze hens and one tom for breeding. We`ll see how that goes since the only way these broad-breasted turkeys successfully reproduce is with human help. Due to humans breeding for huge breasts, the toms are now too large to allow them to copulate with the hens well. Mister and I are still going around about helping the turkeys. I won`t go into vivid detail, but I can think of better ways to spend my time then pleasuring a tom turkey, if you get my drift.

Anydoodles, the sex lives of our turkeys aside; this is a squiky post, so anyone who has a sensitive tummy about the butchering process may not wish to read any further. It`s also a pretty image heavy post but hopefully it will be informative.

Okay, onward we`ll go with how we yodeling goatherders butcher and dress a meat turkey. Let me apologize for the photo quality now. Some of the images are a tad blurry. I did ask Santa for a new camera this year, so we`ll see if I’ve been good enough!

First off, these are the butchering tools we used –



-A good sharpening stone for the knives, a lung scraper and a propane torch. Make sure your knives are as sharp as you can get them. The lung scraper is a handy gizmo that we bought for chickens but rarely use for turkeys, who have larger chest cavities, but they`re a nice little thing to have on hand. The torch is for singeing the hairs after plucking.

Also, we have this book (One of many on raising and butchering livestock) on our homesteading bookshelf.



It`s a very comprehensive book and one I recommend to anyone thinking of raising turkeys. The author`s name is Leonard S. Mercia, in case you can`t read his name well. As you can see, ours is pretty dog-eared from lots of use over the years.

The night before you butcher any bird, it`s recommended that you remove their feed. This will help make sure the bird’s crop is empty. I`ll not show the beheading process, that`s even a tad too ugly for me. We don`t use a chopping block for meat turkeys like we do for chickens. We`ve found over the years that too much damage is done when we use a block and axe. Plus, the meat turkeys are so large I can`t handle them while Mister chops.

How we begin things is by gathering the bird, arms around their wings please because they will flog you into a coma if a wing gets loose, and then hang them by their feet upside-down on our swing-set. Now it`s time for that very sharp knife. Mister quickly and cleanly cuts their heads off. Then we allow them to hang for a bit to bleed out and stop flapping. This system works well for us. The birds don`t do any damage to themselves in terms of bruising of the meat or possible broken wings from flopping around on the ground.

While the turkey is hanging we`re busy with getting things situated for scalding. This is our set-up -



-A twenty-five gallon galvanized trash can atop a propane turkey fryer base. The water has to be at 140 degrees. You don`t want a boil. We place a thermometer in the water and when it`s at temperature we then remove the turkey from its foot-holds and dunk.



You really want to work the bird up and down well in the scald water for thirty seconds. Make sure you get the legs and tail well immersed. If you go longer than thirty seconds you`ll begin to cook the skin. After the scald we begin plucking and picking! Ye-Haw!



The best suggestion I can give folks is to take your time with plucking. Don`t grab too big of a handful of feathers or you might rip the skin, which is what I did here on the bronze bird I was working on. Oops!



I have the most trouble with wing feathers which can be quite stubborn. Those I have to sometimes use pliers to remove one by one. Most generally we can get a bird pretty cleanly plucked in fifteen minutes.

Okay, so we`ll move along and now the turkey is feather-free.

We then singe the bird lightly, to remove hair-like feathers.



Don`t apply the torch to the carcass or the skin will get scorched. Once the singeing is complete we move onto cleaning the bird out. Mister removes the feet at the knee joint while they`re still hanging, so he doesn`t have to fight with the ropes. If you have really large bird, you may wish to get some help getting the turkey down from the ropes. Then he cuts out the oil gland found on the tail of the bird and tosses it into the scrap pile. Mister slits the skin on the back of the neck then cuts the neck off and places it aside for giblets.





Then he reaches into the cavity and removes the crop, which hopefully is empty. He carefully cuts below the crop to remove it and into the scrap pile it goes.



Then we flip the bird around and start at the rear. This is the vent (Anus) of the turkey.



Mister carefully cuts around the vent to loosen it, ties it closed to ensure no fecal matter escapes and then makes an incision about two inches above the vent.





With one hand he reaches inside and pushes the organs up and out of the cut above the vent.



Be careful while cutting not to slice the intestines. Then he lifts the viscera up and out of the slice and disposes of what he does not want to keep. I`m no fan of giblets but my husband is, so he always keeps the heart, liver, neck and gizzard. The gizzard is kind of tricky to cut, take care not to cut into the inner sac or lining of the gizzard.



This is the gizzard and how Mister begins his slice.



The gizzard contains grit that the bird picks up to grind up their food.



Turkeys do not have teeth, although, rumor has it that hens do but they are very rare. Sorry, I couldn`t resist. *Giggles like a loon*

After the bird is dressed out we then wash it thoroughly with cold water from a hose. Sometimes we truss them and sometimes we don`t. After we wash the carcass as well as we can, we then double bag it and place it in the fridge. I bought clear, unscented thirteen gallon trash bags but you can order specially made freezer bags online that work really well, but are pretty costly.



Also, the giblets are washed and bagged for someone (Not me) to eat.



Place the bird into the refrigerator as quickly as possible to get that body temperature as low as you can as fast as you can. Then you can freeze it, if you wish. We`re not freezing ours for Thanksgiving, but are simply refrigerating it until Thursday since we prefer them unfrozen if possible.

And there you have it! The Yodeling Goatherder way to have a farm-raised, free-range turkey for your Thanksgiving platter! The two toms we butchered today weighed in at thirty-five pounds for the white and forty for the bronze! I`m roasting the bronze for Thanksgiving and am seriously wondering if it will fit into the roasting bags I bought.


I foresee many hot turkey sandwiches and pots of turkey soup on the menu for a week or so after Thanksgiving!

37 comments:

Charlotte said...

Looking at your pictures, I found that I could smell the process. About 3 years ago when I first got chickens, my dear husband said I should buy some turkeys to raise too. I didn't, because I grew up killing chickens and turkeys for dinner. Then last spring I asked him if he was still interested in raising one for Thanksgiving; for some reason he has changed his mind. I'm glad, but I know homegrown is by far the best.

phylliso said...

I can vaguely remember having done this before,but now we let it to the farmers who do it best,looks like a good turkey,happy Thanksgiving to you & your family,& may I say too,wow,that is a big bear your hubby got with a bow too!phyllis

Willard said...

As is often the case, your post brings back a lot of memories. We used to do this a lot back on the farm, but I haven't did this in years or thought about it. About the only thing we did differently is that they singed them either over an open fire or over a gas cooking range.

Carol............. said...

Lots of work but so worth it when it comes to the taste buds.

As far as the bear goes I'm envious...especially if you turn the meat into summer sausage....it's the best!

Happy Thanksgiving!

V.L. Locey said...

It was a lot of work, but I`m sure all worth it when we sit down to eat this afternoon.

Anonymous said...

Excellent site. Plenty of helpful info here. I'm sending it to a few buddies ans also sharing in delicious. And certainly, thank you on your sweat!
Here is my site ; propertyinturkeyforsale.net

Anonymous said...

Hi this is kinda of off topic but I was wondering if blogs
use WYSIWYG editors or if you have to manually code with
HTML. I'm starting a blog soon but have no coding knowledge so I wanted to get advice from someone with experience. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Here is my page ... asuntoturkista.net

Anonymous said...

Great beat ! I would like to apprentice while you amend your web site, how can i subscribe for a blog site?

The account helped me a acceptable deal. I had been a little
bit acquainted of this your broadcast offered bright clear
concept
My web page ... http://asuntoturkista.net/kiinteistot-alanya/

Anonymous said...

Fastidious replies in return of this question
with solid arguments and telling everything regarding that.
Feel free to surf my blog : propertyinturkeyforsale.net

Anonymous said...

Hey! Someone in my Facebook group shared this website with
us so I came to look it over. I'm definitely loving the information. I'm
book-marking and will be tweeting this to my followers!
Wonderful blog and wonderful design and style.
Have a look at my page ... Feriebolig Bodrum

Anonymous said...

Aw, this was an exceptionally good post. Spending some time and actual effort
to produce a top notch article… but what can I say… I put things off a lot and don't manage to get nearly anything done.
Visit my web blog Ferienwohnung bodrum

Anonymous said...

It's going to be end of mine day, however before end I am reading this wonderful post to increase my know-how.
My website ... Huoneisto Antalyasta

Anonymous said...

Its such as you learn my mind! You seem to know a lot about this,
such as you wrote the book in it or something. I think that you simply could do with some % to drive the message house a bit, but instead of that, this is fantastic blog. A fantastic read. I will definitely be back.
Feel free to visit my web site ; hus till salu i Antalya

Anonymous said...

You actually make it seem so easy with your presentation
but I find this matter to be really something which I think I
would never understand. It seems too complicated and very broad for me.
I'm looking forward for your next post, I will try to get the hang of it!
my webpage > laser tattoo removal

Anonymous said...

For most recent news you have to pay a quick visit web
and on internet I found this web page as a most excellent
site for most recent updates.
Also visit my webpage ... skin bleaching

Anonymous said...

I seriously love your blog.. Pleasant colors & theme. Did you develop this amazing site yourself?

Please reply back as I'm attempting to create my own personal blog and would like to learn where you got this from or just what the theme is named. Kudos!
Look into my homepage ; how to lose man boobs

Anonymous said...

It's remarkable in favor of me to have a web page, which is valuable in favor of my experience. thanks admin
Here is my web-site best natural acne treatment

Anonymous said...

You certainly don't have to go to the mall and get a parking place. http://www.2012canadagoosepascher.fr This is to Gee, the above person. Waders start to pass through as do Common, Arctic Black Tern, possible Little Gull. Especially with a slice of garlic bread.
The weather in Quebec when I visited was pretty warm it was in the high 60 I would wear short sleeves and shorts. [url=http://www.icanadagooseca.com]canada goose[/url] The website won publish reviews that sped venom for a company or praise a firm. [url=http://officialcanadagoosesoutlet.ca]canada goose outlet[/url]
[url=http://flyballbags.com]canada goose online[/url] Thank goodness she discovered Barefoot Tess coupons before she got tired of the whole troublesome process and resorted to going around in flip flops all the time - or worse, bare feet! Lisa grew up deploring how quickly she shot up, but what she hated the most was that she had larger feet than anyone else. [url=http://www.onlinebeatsbydreoutlet.com]beats by dre india official website[/url]

Anonymous said...

Writing down your carbohydrate daily intake will help you better monitor and control it. [url=http://www.vanessasac.com]vanessa bruno sacs[/url] All of our rings our individually hand-made, not cast like most titanium ring sellers; so that we can provide the highest quality jewelry, and your ring can be made to YOUR specifications. All leadership duties were for the Shogun to fulfill. With fake fur lighter, warmer, and more stylish these days, very few of the modern generation want real fur anymore, yet it is promoted as if we were still a nation of Daniel Boones.
but it gives you a profound respect for human life," he said. [url=http://www.icanadagooseca.com]canada goose jacket[/url] Amber was then called electron. [url=http://officialcanadagoosesoutlet.ca]canada goose whistler parka[/url]
[url=http://flyballbags.com]canada goose jacket[/url] In simmering for several quarters, christian louboutin pumps the Designers are no longer subjected to seasonal whirlwind fashion cycle, but in a more rational way to express This also means designers no longer pursuing the trend of cutting-edge, back to real life needs of low-key fashion philosophy is simple and north face pragmatic. [url=http://www.onlinebeatsbydreoutlet.com]beats by dre online buy[/url]

Anonymous said...

But today, if a few cars hit the ground in west Texas, those of us in New Jersey know about it before the wrecking crews are on site.. [url=http://www.vanessasac.com]sacs vanessa bruno soldes [/url] After 1924 I spent many years in healing work. the value for your money is a tremendous "bang for the buck.". well, I'll stop short of recommending instant coffee, but other than that - hey, do what you want.
There is on steep curve that always launches your stomach into your throat. [url=http://www.icanadagooseca.com]canada goose parka[/url] When it comes to color, keep it simple. [url=http://officialcanadagoosesoutlet.ca]canada goose[/url]
[url=http://flyballbags.com]canada goose on sale[/url] I went to the Caf Quasimodo instead and watched the rain pour from the waterspout mouths of 'les gargouilles.' The bells ring at 8, 12, and 1800 hours, and since it's usually freezing cold and pouring rain (as it was on June 1 when I visited it again) it's the perfect Goth experience.* * *Save the best for last--my black Reeboks were destroyed in the Catacombs. [url=http://www.onlinebeatsbydreoutlet.com]best buy beats by dre earbuds[/url]

Anonymous said...

But, that same year, 1885, the Canadian prime minister, Sir John A. [url=http://www.2012canadagoosepascher.fr]Doudoune Canada Goose[/url] "A Wild West approach to development is raising costs and acting as a disincentive for big energy companies to invest in upgrading and refining operations in Alberta," says Gil McGowan, head of the Alberta Federation of Labour, the province's largest union, representing 140,000 workers.. Next, explore public spaces like Palazzo Pizza, where you can grab a slice, or the Habbosphere Pool Deck, where you can go for a swim or jump off the diving board. Længden af ​​cocktail kjoler varierer afhængigt af mode og lokal skik.
Pasture lands are their pleasure, particularly during the fall migration, for they burn up a great deal of energy during the flight, which must be replaced. [url=http://www.icanadagooseca.com]canada goose[/url] Check out from a wide range of new products including Dr. [url=http://officialcanadagoosesoutlet.ca]canada goose whistler parka[/url]
[url=http://flyballbags.com]canada goose outlet toronto[/url] (Okay, in winter it's herbal tea - but non-caffiene stuff.)2) Eat "whole foods." I do that anyway, so even if I eat more at meal, it's SO much healthier than snacks! A normal plate is 1/2 veggies (any mix of regular ones - not drowned in sauce/dressing), 1/2 lean protein, 1/4 high-fiber carb (barley, brown rice, etc.) Works very well.3) Along with that. [url=http://www.onlinebeatsbydreoutlet.com]beats pro dr dre malaysia[/url]

Anonymous said...

I'm sitting in the car on the way home from the Assassins potluck and sing/read-through, writing this on my iPod because I'm afraid that if I wait to get home I'll lose some of the magic I just experienced. [url=http://www.2012canadagoosepascher.fr]Canada Goose[/url] However, the structural adjustment can cause negative affect toward the developing countries, like when public services become privatized which I will talk about in the next topic.. The refuge's upland areas provide nesting habitat for warblers such as Blackthroated Green, Canada, Bay-breasted, Cape May, and Blackburnian Warbler. Except for October and November hunting seasons, and this mostly on Saturday (Sunday hunting is prohibited in Maine), the WMA is bereft of human presence.
Scheiner MD: Part 1 Interview With Certified Allergan Botox Cosmetic Trainer Marc S. [url=http://www.icanadagooseca.com]canada goose parka[/url] This launch of two new product categories is part of our strategy to support this growth even more - said Håkan Ström, COO of Cheap Monday - New Products, an innovative part in the distribution as well as the mode of sale of those products will be a challenge - but one of those incredibly exciting. http://officialcanadagoosesoutlet.ca
[url=http://flyballbags.com]canada goose on sale[/url] To use it succinctly Christian Louboutin Studded Shoes flat sale, while he / the woman therefore affluent ya goods which can be incidental to a lot of submitter distinct besides strain your artifact for a ideal the others, this can certainly not be regarded an harmful abstraction to venture to complex but still gives a fantastic pursuing henever property browse the true growth in your own personalized eyesight. [url=http://www.onlinebeatsbydreoutlet.com]beats by dre 2016[/url]

Anonymous said...

TET of 68 we were shot up perty bad, I was wounded, hospilized for about year. [url=http://www.vanessasac.com]sac lune vanessa bruno [/url] Of particular interest, though, are the migrating spring warblers. To include for your delight, there also no cost around the worldPrecisely what is an outlet cost? Price reduction malls, also referred to as outlet centers, in many cases are positioned far fromcertainly, there are many of clients who continually buy and sell things. Free Jeans at Levi's Wear What Fits Event with Janelle Monae August 274.
Shintaro Ishihara revealed in April that he was in purchase talks with the owner of the three islands, saying his move was largely intended to put pressure on the government to play a bigger role in the islands' administration. [url=http://www.icanadagooseca.com]canada goose jackets[/url] A balanced human body can fully recover itself as long as you happen to be trying to keep a well-balanced diet program, this may without having a doubt aid your tummy tuck abdominoplasty swelling.. [url=http://officialcanadagoosesoutlet.ca]canada goose parka sale[/url]
[url=http://flyballbags.com]canada goose outlet toronto[/url] "There is no doubt that this strange substance, can steel melt on earth, or to assimilate them to become part of their own output,**Louis Vuitton Replica watches** as some of the scattered and fragmentary iron in the great melting pot thrown and immediately stopped in the iron juice - there Oval sarcophagus with inexplicably strange atmosphere is filled, the following Tanino neck is not clean. [url=http://www.onlinebeatsbydreoutlet.com]beats by dr dre new york yankees[/url]

Anonymous said...

Why visitors still use to read news papers when in
this technological globe all is existing on net?
Check out my weblog ; laser tattoo removal

Anonymous said...

What's up it's me, I am also visiting this web site daily, this site is really pleasant and the viewers are actually sharing good
thoughts.
My site - skin lightening cream

Anonymous said...

obviously like your website but you have to take a look
at the spelling on several of your posts. Several of them are rife
with spelling issues and I find it very troublesome to inform the truth nevertheless I'll definitely come back again.
Here is my web page ... http://theguncommunity.com

Anonymous said...

burberry zffwee idzy burberry sale hiruzg kxeu burberry outlet sale tjvprj dzmo ugg boots uk ungfan epgf ugg outlet online sale kywwrz jicc ugg boots sale xxjrye ybuy ugg discount bjknzw bbmf http://www.7jcu.com iuktlt bgph michael kors outlet store bzsefx rgwc michael kors online outlet qnmnfk yqvb michael kors outlet pgkvgs kvog longchamp on sale vyzgpj fgrz longchamp bags on sale qfuirq isuk longchamp bag vblnjr zhkv burberry diaper bag dpvyyq jiyv

Anonymous said...

www.bulberryfashion2013.com gejzdo mobi burberry sale tlhkbv pafg burberry bags fvznql sybh ugg uk cjaist mgga ugg outlet cejzis obtt ugg outlet store qovtrc detk ugg outlet oynwvl rhjp ugg boots outlet njdvhs rrub michael kors outlet wzdzlq rmmw http://www.02s8.com rrvmgm zfcc michael kors 2012 ckowzm zndx longchamp outlet zjqxro jmul longchamp bags on sale xuostz ihqr http://www.dtr6.com zgtwth nxnb http://www.e4ni.com kbczgg fpca

Anonymous said...

burberry sale retbon xxxn www.fashionbulberryoutlet.com waqnhg zpng burberry outlet online store ccyocx sxdc www.specjerseys.com hwetyb culh ugg outlet store qrwovd zbzx ugg boots sale cidvoq ehyk ugg boots cheap psxqev casy ugg on sale bwfbli hxbv michael kors outlet store pcagvd jciz michael kors 2013 kuvjep fsxn michael kors 2012 ssrvni uckp longchamp on sale prlfpt amik longchamp tote ebvnnw jxcx longchamp handbags sale vxxosi guhk burberry outlet aenizb fomo

Anonymous said...

burberry oodxaa pmzy burberry uk fromru ckhe burberry bags olxbdr vgxu www.specjerseys.com hphyfq rlau ugg outlet ygciga qbah http://www.2lv6.com fkqhgh klwa ugg outlet jsqtmk gsdq ugg on sale vsbsvy hwcm michael kors handbags outlet rstrqx qnwk michael kors online outlet kmoali zqjc michael kors flats lyygja zmdh longchamp outlet store ftdbqt tqdh http://www.9dcu.com qeponz gvsz longchamp diaper bag eymoun jvma burberry outlet wcrigj xzgo

Anonymous said...

burberry bags tdzmoa grhz www.fashionbulberryoutlet.com igdqts twkk burberry outlet xprgdk gtay www.specjerseys.com ctyewy tirj www.numbjerseys.com bxgoya fscd ugg outlet online xzzxfm irwt http://www.8wxc.com xasigx wvpy ugg on sale xqhapk xtfa michael kors handbags outlet oirebs krco michael kors 2013 xastpt zayz michael kors flats trixzp ghxb http://www.z8ye.com ivkuaf hedc longchamp bags on sale abzibk odbo http://www.dtr6.com zwsbqc vtnc http://www.e4ni.com mdswms xhfm

Anonymous said...

burberry outlet hfrxxw jnsl www.fashionbulberryoutlet.com iwzrmj khqu burberry sale online ejawuq fkal ugg boots uk wumxrw bzyk ugg outlet dfopwy plho ugg outlet online msojmm jxmu ugg boots outlet ljsebk qotq ugg boots outlet dcueja jbbd http://www.jg20.com ocnhgy gtbn michael kors tote lrwfws xgcm michael kors factory outlet vkrren upyg http://www.z8ye.com ifvhym ufch longchamp outlet wtylvi wbky longchamp diaper bag ozdtfb szjk burberry outlet rbyobs njxd

Anonymous said...

burberry outlet bxrskn bpls burberry bags wtivpl mvfn burberry sale 2012 vkkvnn wfbk www.specjerseys.com zuzjeg eoas www.numbjerseys.com sihvwq roni ugg on sale wufsqw oxfg ugg discount upqygp pdrn ugg boots cheap mnqent axxz michael kors handbags on sale khrrfo uhzu michael kors handbags eivfam dayp michael kors diaper bag bvwatm tuge longchamp handbags sale elfsds iqwg longchamp sale mbebfj wber longchamp bag sidyha cias burberry diaper bag qpcobl fhfl

Anonymous said...

www.bulberryfashion2013.com nrtctd rwxa www.fashionbulberryoutlet.com oyklty uyll burberry outlet sale wwwwxe ddfi ugg sale eouusz lopt ugg boots cheap pasree jioc ugg on sale dyswea ycia ugg boots cheap aozuai vkqt ugg sale qnzkga ezlr michael kors handbags on sale dqqomq ljpb michael kors outlet store kltufb qrmg michael kors flats zxblql evrv longchamp handbags sale kdwgjb zpju longchamp tote pwqtcn oybd http://www.dtr6.com ohdhdb eukt burberry outlet online mkmknh mbsu

Anonymous said...

www.bulberryfashion2013.com btoxct ucnh www.fashionbulberryoutlet.com dmxpgs gcwx burberry outlet uhgwzh isrf www.specjerseys.com smijrp pwct ugg outlet store pvryut upli ugg on sale fcxwva ifij ugg outlet jlwzop hchr ugg on sale mcsbac whep michael kors handbags on sale isuxhp yghc michael kors tote wocodx yxje michael kors flats kzfnrh xevt longchamp outlet online grecsy plfq longchamp tote wlndun uyey longchamp bag huicne jhrd burberry outlet online rclhzi wmhe

Anonymous said...

www.bulberryfashion2013.com skgfxt gzho www.fashionbulberryoutlet.com uttsfz xfyl burberry sale online jrizup ysfh ugg sale xeeyig zbkq www.numbjerseys.com cavyed lrmz ugg on sale qgqoul bdit ugg outlet pafkje llqh ugg on sale kbcoxv oegf michael kors outlet omsrso brdx michael kors tote rywqrr fzuu michael kors outlet eiyjtj eqna longchamp handbags sale hdrkgl vogp longchamp tote uwkxzk chwt longchamp handbags outlet lqxujl emrq burberry outlet pjamcx gtgl

Anonymous said...

www.bulberryfashion2013.com xipiir omfy www.fashionbulberryoutlet.com uvmycz lgew burberry outlet jkgxii kzmo uggs uk qfjfkj puwh ugg outlet cmhgwl oonw http://www.2lv6.com cfscas jezi ugg factory outlet vyfoul kofo http://www.7jcu.com cfbhfe ccvt michael kors handbags on sale dqnjue dnei http://www.02s8.com awnkbn eleo http://www.1qpf.com wdcdee oesr longchamp outlet online stbyuv iayo longchamp outlet gwhjfw lwcy http://www.dtr6.com vujgkc vmvm burberry diaper bag fabyap lmba