Friday, October 14, 2011

Word of Mouth-The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo

Time for a little Word of Mouth again my friends! It surely does seem that my mouth runs a lot, doesn`t it? This time around we`ll be chatting about the crime drama ‘The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo’ written by the late Stieg Larsson.





Crime drama`s aren`t my usual genre. I`m more a Para/Rom kind of girl, but every so often I like to take a break from the vampires, werewolves and other assorted sexy type things. After hearing much praise about this book I picked it up one day when I was at my local indie bookstore. Now that I`ve torn through it I am very glad I did.

The story centers around the mystery of Harriet Vanger, a member of one of Sweden`s wealthiest families. Harriet disappeared over forty years ago. After all the those years, Harriet`s aged uncle seeks to finally try to discover exactly what happened to his niece. He hires Mikael Blomkvist, a journalist that has just been convicted in a libel suit, to investigate the now cold case. Mikael is aided by a young woman, Lisbeth Salander, a tattooed, pierced and very troubled computer prodigy. What they discover as they dig deeply into the past and the dark secrets of the Vanger family is truly frightening and mesmerizing.

I won`t go into detail about the mystery so I don`t spoil anything for anyone, but it is a shocker let me just say that. Mister Larsson has crafted a wickedly suspenseful book. It is wonderfully plotted and perfectly paced. It`s sexy, darker than hell, shocking, complex and engrossing. Once you pick it up you cannot put it back down.

The characters are fascinating and very human. They have huge foibles and yet I was drawn to them, especially Lisbeth, although Mikael is quite the investigative reporter. There was something so compelling about Lisbeth and her gritty world that hooked me immediately. The background setting of Sweden was chilling and fascinating and added just the right touch to the mood of this psychodrama. This may be the best crime drama I have ever read. Everything is just so tight I can`t find one bad thing to say about the book.

On my next sojourn to my indie bookstore I plan to grab the next novel ‘The Girl Who Played With Fire’ so that I can see what happens next with Mikael and Lisbeth. If you like a book that keeps you up all night, then do pick up this debut novel from Mr. Larsson.

6 comments:

Sharon said...

I have heard about this book, many times! I guess I will try to pick it up and give it a go. Sounds like my type of thing!

Mr. Pip said...

Oh yes, this is a good one! We read it awhile back.

Your pal, Pip

Heidi H said...

I haven't read them, I did see the movies (I admit a little red faced) but they are definitely on my need to read list.

Michele Stefanides said...

I've been thinking about reading this for a long time. Thanks for the nudge! Your review just bumped it up a few notches on my to-read list.

Feral Female a.k.a. Vicki Locey said...

It`s a very good book, I think those who haven`t read it yet will really enjoy it!

Anonymous said...

I have that book on top of a "to read" pile by my chair. I think I will start it today! Thanks for nudge.

Gale