Thursday, August 25, 2011

Word of Mouth-Miss Peregrine`s Home for Peculiar Children



Howdy gang, I`m all set to spread some word of mouth about the latest book I read.


This time we`ll be chatting about ‘Miss Peregrine`s Home for Peculiar Children’ written by Ransom Riggs.







According to the inner jacket sleeve this is his first novel. I am stunned at the man`s writing ability and hope we see more from him. The book, a New York Times best seller was recommended to me by the delightful owner of my indie book store Kasey, and I thank her for the nudge. Normally this book wouldn`t have been in my ever-increasing pile but going with Kasey`s suggestion I grabbed it one day. You too will want to grab it on your next trip to the book store my friends! This novel that combines fiction with stunning photographs will grab you from the first chapter and not let go until you turn that last page!

It all begins with a terrible family tragedy for sixteen year old Jacob. This tragedy sends him on a journey with his father to a small island off the coast of Wales, where he discovers the crumbling ruins of Miss Peregrine`s Home for Peculiar Children. Before the horrible upset that sent Jacob to this mysterious island his grandfather spoke of this Miss Peregrine and how she took him in during the nightmares of World War 2. Jacob`s grandfather also had photographs. Strange and very peculiar photographs of children appearing to be doing miraculous things but as Jacob grew older he began to cast off the stories his grandfather would tell.

Now though, as he begins to explore the abandoned bedrooms and eerie hallways of this wreck of a home on a remote island, he begins to wonder if Miss Peregrine and her children weren`t more than just the fanciful tales of an old man. He also begins to suspect that these kids may have been more than peculiar, they may have been dangerous! Why else would they be quarantined on this little speck of nothing in the ocean?? And could it be that they`re all still alive???

Mister Riggs spins an incredible tale of suspense, humor, light romance, action, shadows, evil villains, monsters and photographs that keeps you frantically turning page after page until you arrive at the end with a pout that the ride is over. His characters are skillfully crafted and very appealing, the pace is tight and never lags, the plot is inventive and touching and I found myself hoping that there will be another book to follow this one. I want to know what happens to Jacob! Heck I NEED to know what happens to this young man as he moves on with his new friends and one bird in a cage!

I highly recommend this book to readers of all genre`s, it has a touch of everything for everyone!


3 comments:

Melodie said...

This sounds like something I would like to read,thanks!

Sharon said...

It does sound better than a romantic novel. I do like a mystery.

phylliso said...

You make it sound interesting,especially if the photos are like the ones on the front cover.I`ll have to give it a try,phyllis