Wednesday, July 13, 2011

First Week of Mister`s Vacation

Come on in if you can get around the dogs and have a cup of iced coffee gang!


Yup, I think I`m going to be serving my beloved brew over crushed ice for a spell. It`s been hotter than two rats making whoopee in a wool sock, as my dear hubby would say, here for days! Dry, hot and humid makes for one slightly cranky Feral. I don`t do heat well. Ever since I went through ‘The Change’ I tend to be particularly touchy about hot weather. So needless to say I`ve been spending most of my time indoors, trying to keep cool in the AC. Mister though has been busier than a three-legged beaver with an over-flowing river. Hot, dry and muggy in July can only mean one thing-It`s haying time.

Since he has this week and next off for vacation he figured the time was now to get our hay in. I don`t envy the man one blessed thing either. Putting in eight to ten hours on a tractor in this weather is enough to suck all the life juices from a soul. So far he`s gotten twenty round bales cut, raked and baled with more to come, IF the rain holds off! *Crosses fingers*

We have had a new visitor arrive though over the past few days. Madame Phoebe thought that our back-porch looked like a prime nesting place!



Mister and I had different thoughts since her new nesting spot location was directly over our grill.



She made quite a mess of things and try as we may whatever we tried didn`t dissuade her.



So, knowing that we had been handed a defeat we rolled the grill out of the way and allowed her to do her thing.

She has three little eggs that she`s sitting on. We`ve been peeking daily to see if they hatch and how many. If I can get a picture of them to share I will.

Other than hay and phoebe nesting things here are pretty quiet. We are starting to get ready for fair next month. Our large animal vet Dr. Lisa is coming out next Monday to inspect the goats that are going and give us our health certificates, so we have some tattooing to do over the weekend on our new little Sable doe Tali.


So how is this hump-day treating y`all?

10 comments:

Nancy @ A Rural Journal said...

We have a swallow pair that built a nest on the side of our house under the roof eaves. Not a pretty sight, but who has the heart to pull it down? :)

texwisgirl said...

i'm the same as nancy - swallows' nest on the side of the house. too cute tho so i just wash the 'drippings' off the window every now and again...

hope you can get the hay in. if you get any spare rain, feel free to send it over to texas. we'd sure appreciate it!

texwisgirl said...

and thanks for the wool sock image. that's gonna stick with me for a while!

Texan said...

rofl I have to agree loved the wool sock tid bit lol...

and if your sending rain to Texwisgirl then send enough for me too!

Haying is a hot job for sure! Its so stinking hot down here I am ready to move to Alaska and well you know how I whine all winter about the cold weather... I may have to change my mind on the whole winter thing. This heat is about to do me in this year.

Sall's Country Life said...

Our mornings have been cool so far up here in S.D. So it's still hot coffee for me! I've so enjoyed catching up on your posts this morning! Bless your hearts for not disturbing the nest! Thank goodness ours choose to live on the side of the house where we don't sit! Those Turkey Scouts were too cute (I hope you supported the troop and bought umpteen boxes of gobbles) And the post on Wedded Bliss - well I may have to print that one off and make it nightly reading till death do us part! You are too much! Thanks for starting my hump day off with some chuckles!!!

Sharon said...

I don't envy your husband one bit! Not much of a vacation, I'd say.

I don't like summer, and I don't like winter, and I don't like humidity...... shoot me!

Feral Female said...

We didn`t have the heart to tear it down either, so there she sits!

Ha, Sharon you sound like me! Don`t like it hot and don`t like it cold.

Welcome to the hillside farm Sall! Pleasure to meet ya!

small farm girl said...

It's probably a good thing you moved the grill. You think she made a mess NOW? Wait until the little ones poop. NOT A GOOD THING! LOL!

Feral Female said...

Ha! Very true SFG!

John Gray said...

i worked in pittsburgh for a while and got a taste for iced coffee there lovely