Friday, June 3, 2011

Be Careful What You Wish For

Okay, so, there I was this morning with my Nubian cup filled with nice hot coffee and topped with a dollop of fresh goat milk wishing I had something to write about for the blog.

The weather has settled down nicely so aside from it being absolutely glorious out that topic was done. Over the four day holiday weekend we got all the boy goats moved into another pasture and coop so nothing exciting on that front. Milking is going well and the girls took to the stand like the old troopers they are, so again, blah. I mulled and I sipped. There is a book review to do but I`d rather do that on the weekend when the house is full since those don`t seem to require as much attention as the fiction tales do. I contemplated doing the edits to my book-in-progress, taking the comments and suggestions from last night`s writers group and reworking a few things but Meh, didn`t want to do that either.

So there I sat cup in hand with nothing to write. Life has been very serene the past few days apparently. So giving it up for a lost cause I got Miss down to the bus for her next to last day of school and got around to go to town. There I was tootling along down Route 287 singing along with Queen (Thank the Gods not one Billy Joel song was played this morning!) and enjoying a lively rendition of Fat Bottom Girls when out from a field scuttled a woodchuck. He didn`t stop to look for traffic coming or even have his running shoes on, he just rumpled his big fat rump into the lane and Feral ran over him.



There was not a thing I could do to stop it. I was clocking along at fifty-five which is the speed limit for that stretch of road. I couldn`t slam on the breaks because someone was behind me. I couldn`t swerve because there was a convoy of water trucks ripping past in the opposite lane. All I could do was try to straddle the poor fat bugger. My straddling didn`t straddle and over him both tires went. Ugh.

I felt so bad. I have NEVER run over anything before. I once had a robin fly into the windshield but aside from that I`ve never hit anything. Mister Yodeling on the other hand has plowed into numerous deer and even a bear once. I`m always as careful as I can be going down these dirt roads just because you never know when a deer is going to leap out in front of you. But a woodchuck with a death wish never entered my mind!

I pulled over when I could and stepped from my truck to see if by some weird quirk of fate the woodchuck was alive. What I thought I was going to do with him if he were I haven`t the foggiest! Not like you can walk into the small animal hospital with a woodchuck wrapped in a blanket. Well maybe you can but who would or could afford such a thing for a woodchuck? The woodchuck was not among the living anymore so I slid back into my truck and sat there, feeling just terrible. I had committed vehicular herbivore-slaughter. Egad. Now who would tell us if there were going to be six more weeks of winter? I had just run over one of the natural world’s most famous weather prognosticators! Now we`ll never know how much wood a woodchuck could chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood.*Sighs*


Next time I`ll have to be more specific when I wish for something to write about for my blog I guess.

17 comments:

texwisgirl said...

oh, i'm terribly sorry! i hit a rabbit once (broke it's back leg as near as i could tell from the view in my rear view mirror!) i can still 'feel' the hit against my tire and can cringe just thinking about it... and it was 30 yrs ago...

*~*~*~*~Tonia said...

Oops... I mean poor woodchuck.. I have seen more of those things this year than I ever remember seeing.. I hit a dog one time.. I was driving past a neighbor's house that had a pack of dogs living there. I say pack because they would run out in the mass of 8-10 at a time and chase cars that went by.. So anyway I hit one, both tires like your woodchuck. Looked in the rearview mirror and the other dogs attacked it!! It was horrible. My girls and I got sick just seeing what happened in the mirror. Those people just let them inbreed and never fed them much. BAd stuff.

The Tame Lion said...

Poor woodchuck....

Sharon said...

Oh, so sorry, that can't be a good feeling. At least you stopped to check on him. Poor guy, they never seem to get used to humans being around in their death machines.

Well, your day WAS going well....

dogsmom said...

Offering my condolences...both to you and to the woodchuck's family.

Mr. Pip said...

Poor woodchuck. I am always afraid of hitting something, especially when we head up to Wisconsin.

This was a very entertaining post ...though I feel really guilty admitting it.

Michele Stefanides said...

Oh poor you and woodchuck. I hit my first deer not long after I moved here. I got so hysterical that I sat in the car sobbing uncontrollably in the dark on a bend while the broken radiator hissed and steamed. Thank God I had passengers who were able to guide me to moving off the road before somebody hit me. It's a horrible feeling to kill another living creature.

Feral Female said...

It really is a terrible feeling isn`t it? Tonia that episode gave me the shivers! What an awful thing for you and your girls to witness!!

Texan said...

mmm on email, I am not having any trouble getting emails from anyone else... Maybe try it again. Sprig2@aol.com

Texan said...

When I was very young, many years ago...I hit a dog and killed it! I was out in the middle of no where between my Grandparents house and the big city of Little Rock. Well I stopped yep doggy was dead. It was dark no houses etc. I was half way in my drive. So I cried for the next hour and 15 minutes till I got home. As soon as I got inside I was asked what was wrong and I blubbered hysterically I had killed a dog LOL...well I was a teenager for petes sake. Took my all evening to settle down.

Feral Female said...

It must be so hard to hit someone`s pet. *Shudders*

Okay Texan, I`ll try the Sprig2@aol.com addy and see what happens. Must be something wrong at my end if you`re getting other e-mail.

Debbie @ Swampbilly Ranch said...

Always an awful feeling to hit something. So sorry.

Willard said...

An interesting story, and one that I can empathize with, having hit a fair amount of both wildlife and tame life. It always made me feel very bad too.

Nancy said...

It happens. Glad you were not hurt. :)

Rural Revival said...

I hit and killed a bird on my way to my own bridal shower. I should have taken it a sign....

Mary Ann said...

I didn't kill them, but got out of my car twice in the last two days on country roads to see if turtles REALLY WERE DEAD and didn't need a hand to turn over. I'm still worrying about one I couldn't pull over for! I can understand your getting out for the woodchuck.

Feral Female said...

Rural Rev that story sounds rather ominous!

We stop for turtles all the time to see if they need a hand too Mary Ann.