Saturday, May 14, 2011

Word of Mouth-The Parasol Protectorate

Morning all, drop down and take a load off and we`ll jaw for a bit.


Y`all know, if you peek at my sidebar, that I`m an avid reader. I always have been it seems but since I`ve chosen to run with the title of writer I seem to be devouring books much faster. They say to be a writer you have to be a reader. Also, since my daughter is older now I find I have more time to spend with my nose buried in a book. Most of my reads are paranormal romances. What draws me so to this genre I can`t say precisely, but nine times out of ten the book my nose is buried in will be a Para/Rom. Something about vampires, succubae and werewolves appeals to me….





Oh yeah, now I remember what`s so damned appealing about the genre! Anydoodles, since I spend so much time reading I thought that I`d pass along my thoughts and opinions on the books I read. Now first off we all know that opinions are like-Well we know what they`re like and we all have one. This is just my feelings on a book. Others may feel different and that`s groovy! Since I like to jabber I figured word of mouth suits the posts that`ll deal with whatever book or series I`d like to share so others can read them and enjoy them as well if they wish.

Just yesterday I finished the third book in ‘The Parasol Protectorate’ series penned by the adorable and witty Gail Carriger.



The books are in sequence-Soulless, Changeless and Blameless. Let me give you a tidbit from the author`s profile inside these delightful books.

‘Gail Carriger writes to cope with being raised in obscurity by an expatriate Brit and an incurable curmudgeon. She escaped small town life for Europe and inadvertently acquired an education. She now resides in the colonies with a harem of Aremenian lovers and tea imported from London.’

That kind of wit runs wild throughout her books! Her lead character, Alexia Tarabotti is a woman with a jacked-up parasol and a wonderfully bright and scathing mind to match. Since the series takes place in an era when women wore gowns, gloves, bustles and filly hats and aspired to be nothing more than wives Alexia, with her rather large nose and bosom and her *Gasp* Italian ancestry, have already been shelved and termed a spinster at the advanced age of twenty-six. Ah but Miss Tarabotti does not remain on that shelf long! For she ends up in a very passionate relationship with Lord Conall Maccon, a Scots werewolf that has taken over the Alpha rank of the Woolsey Pack in London after leaving his homeland.

I won`t divulge too much but the very fact that Alexia who is a preternatural, meaning her touch steals the powers from any supernatural being, (Werewolves revert back to human, vampires lose their fangs and their strength and speed, as long as Alexia is in contact with them that is) is canoodling with a werewolf just adds to the mirth! Ms. Carriger creates wonderfully fun and vivacious characters starting with the protagonist and moving through the secondary characters. I fell in love with Lord Akeldama in the first book! Imagine a foppish vampire with a manse filled with gaudy, handsome popinjays eager to serve his Lordship! Alexia`s family and friends are a glorious pleasure for any reader and their quirkiness adds layers to the stories.

The perfect mixture of romance, mystery, action, adventure and steampunk carried me from book one through book three in two weeks! I only have one small complaint about the books though. Although we do have some warm scenes with Alexia and Lord Maccon they don`t go far enough for my tastes. Feral prefers to have steam erupt from her ears and pages ignite when she reads sex scenes. The romance scenes so far tend to reach the ‘Ho-Boy-Here-We-Go!’ stage then discreetly evaporate, only to pick up after the serious canoodling is over. Now y`all might not mind that but for me, if she gave us a hotter time in the bedroom I wouldn`t complain!


Aside from that glitch in the erotic department this series is a fun-filled character driven romp that I hope others will enjoy as much as I have. So there you go, some word of mouth about a trio of books that should have the fourth installment titled ‘Heartless’ coming out in July of this year. Thanks to Kasey Cox, owner of my much loved local bookstore for suggesting Ms. Carriger`s work to me! I`ll definitely be picking up ‘Heartless’ when it arrives in Wellsboro and more I`m sure, can`t leave that store with only one book for some reason!


Ain`t this word of mouth stuff fun?!

10 comments:

phylliso said...

I`ll have to look her books up at the library.I get into gory stuff like Patricia Cornwell & Kathy Reiches novels,when they have to rip open a body to find the secret of how the person died.phyllis

Sharon said...

My DIL is into this stuff too, you will forgive me if I don't share in your delight. I guess that's why there are so many different writers out there. I do like historical novels, just not the blood. :-)

Feral Female said...

Not everyone is into Para/Rom`s I sure understand that! I think anyone who enjoy`s a witty romance and some steampunk will enjoy these books!

small farm girl said...

I was going along with you all fine and dandy until I came upone the picture of Hugh Jackman. After that all I read sounded like the teacher on the Penuts....Wua,wua,wua,wua,wua. LOL!!!! Thanks for the heads up on the books. hehehhe

Willard said...

It is great that you like to read. I started reading voraciously while in late elementary school and have continued through the years, with the reading growing more intense since I have retired (I always have a buck while waiting in the turkey blind, etc.) Writing is like playing an instrument or any other endeavor in that it is necessary to immerse oneself in what they want to do. When I played music seriously, I was always listening to material I wanted to absorb and the same applies with the writing.

Michele Stefanides said...

Great now another book to add to my enormously growing list!! :-) I can't keep up with all of them! This sounds like fun. And, would you believe it I came across some books by a self-pubbed author that just might make that steam come out of your ears, and I like reading them!! Still couldn't write it, but I'm learnin' to like reading it! Are you gonna do more book reviews? Hint, hint...

Feral Female said...

Tee-hee, Hugh has that same effect on me too SFG!

Very nicely said Willard!

Ooooo, who is this author Michele?? My ears can always use some steaming! Yes, I plan to review each book I read, so look for more word of mouth to come soon!

Rina ... also Chester or Daisysmum. said...

I'll be looking them books up to read, could do with a little excitement.

Carol............. said...

I'm always willing to read something new...will check this out!

Texan said...

Sounds like these would be worth a read. I have not been reading near as much lately. Life you know. I need to start making time for my reading again as I do LOVE a good book! and if that book is a romance book it is Paranormal Romance!