Monday, February 28, 2011

When It Rains....






It really pours! Least ways in our neck of the woods today!

Pull out a chair and I`ll grab the pot. Man-Oh-Day talk about a wild and wooly morning! *Flops down in kitchen bench* I know I`ve been bemoaning all the winter weather. Here in the high hills of Pennsylvania we`ve gotten easily over 24 inches of snow in a week. Just when Mister thought he was done plowing we got nailed Friday with another eleven or so inches, then the following night we woke up to find about 6 more inches. I`d given up talking to Ole Man Winter since he seems to ignore goatherders who are up to their caboose in snow!

Guess maybe he heard my complaints, Lord know everyone else has, so he done give me what I asked for. Warm weather (Well warm for us is above freezing this time of year) and rain. Lots and lots of rain. So much rain that now we`re under a flood warning. That two feet of snow has to go somewhere right? We even had thunderstorms rolling in around five this morning! Talk about shaking your head at the skies! Needless to say things here in our county are a tad damp and so are hubby and myself. I`ve come to the conclusion that Ole Man Winter may actually be that rascal Murphy in disguise. Here`s why I`ve come to that conclusion.

Mister left for work this morning at five as he usually does. I was puttering around (Okay, I was drinking coffee but puttering sounds better) and getting ready to head out to do the birds in the wind, rain and jags of lightening. I dislike going out in thunderstorms for the obvious reasons. Also I knew that walking would be treacherous uphill even with the spikes on my Muck boots. I had just gotten my watering can filled for the chickens and my canine helper ready when the phone rang. Six o`clock and someone is calling? Instant bad news alarm goes off. My alarm is never wrong either sadly.

Seems Mister was sitting alongside the road beside a salvage yard minus one alternator belt. Thank goodness salvage workers get up with the chickens like yodeling goatherders. Most businesses open at eight or nine or even ten here in the boondocks. I gave the skies outside a very dour look then told him I`d be there as soon as the school bus came. Off I went brisk as a randy bunny to get the chores completed and the wood stove tended. Miss and I skated to the truck, slid down the driveway and met the bus as it tip-toed down our road. Would it really hurt the township to sprinkle a few cinders for the school bus?! Sorry, I digressed there a bit.

Taking one last peek into the backseat to ensure I had the jumper cables I began my trip. Feral is not one who likes to drive in bad weather. My dad calls me a ‘Fair-Weather-Driver’ and I don`t deny it! Water was running from everywhere, the skies were heaving and hawing and rain was falling so hard and so fast my wipers couldn`t clear it fast enough. Why, I thought with a scowl, did the car have to choose THIS morning to throw itself?! Dumb car I muttered as I crawled along the roads that looked like Noah and his ark would come drifting down the yellow line.

The half hour drive took me about forty-five because I simply refuse to speed through rivers rampaging under my bumper. I kid you not I think I saw a hippopotamus when I crept slowly into Covington and I don`t think hippo`s are indigenous to Pennsylvania waterways. Or it could have been a cow wading out to wash off her udders now that I`m home and not having a nervous Nellie attack. Despite what was frolicking in the creek, I finally pulled up behind Mister with a huge sigh of relief. He had managed to call work and tell his foreman he was going to miss the day. Again thanks guys at Covington Salvage for allowing my husband to use your phone.

We hooked up batteries, sat and chatted about the deluge and the dumb car, then set off once more this time me following him in case we had to stop and hook up the batteries again. We only had to make one stop to charge the car up thankfully. Poor Mister, I felt so bad. He was soaked to the skin from hooking and unhooking jumper cables. I was pretty damp as well but he was saturated. I was never so glad to see the mechanic`s garage as I was this morning! I gladly handed the keys to my husband, warned him about wayward hippopotamus and dropped my anxious head to the passenger side headrest.

Of course now that we`re home safe and sound the sun is shining down like gangbusters. Which makes me pretty sure Ole Man Winter`s last name is Murphy. I know that has absolutely nothing to do with the header but I figured I`d share that mental wander with y`all just so you guys and gals are forewarned.

9 comments:

Michele Stefanides said...

"Man-o-day" I haven't heard that expression in forever! Instant flashback to running barefoot through the alleys of McKeesport!
But I digress, too. When I read your posts, and Heidi's, I know that God did the right thing by steering me away from buying land in the country. This city girl loves living in a town with a pop. of 3,500, but taking care of a farm and animals would have been the ruin of me! I can go days on end without leaving the house, and I do! Hope the car gets fixed soon!

Sharon said...

Good post! Yep, I saw the same hippo as I was riding along with you! LOL! I believe you are really in for some flooding, huh? That's a lot of snow to melt, plus that driving rain. I hope you and hubby are dried out by now!

texwisgirl said...

Oh dear. These are those dangerous mornings. Sadly, I think a good mass of the country is going to be in for major flooding this spring as all those snows melt into already saturated ground. Yikes! You need a drink! :)

small farm girl said...

It never fails. You guys need to dry off, sit back, and have a cup (or nine) of some good, hot coffee. Or, just go out and soak up the sun.

Willard said...

That is some story. We don't have the snow here like you, but we had the thundershowers and heavy rain today. Some very wild weather!

houndstooth said...

I feel your pain! We got enough snow here this weekend to tip us over into the snowiest winter in history around here. I didn't share the weather babblers' glee over that one.

One thought to cheer you, on the 29th a certain vampire writing author releases a new book!

Brenda said...

Sounds like a day to be glad is behind you! Doesn't sound like your area of the country is in any kind of drought condition! :D

Feral Female said...

Nope, we don`t have to worry about droughts thats for sure!

Oh Houndy I cannot wait until the 29th!! I think I`m going to read V`s book again just to tide me over for Payne and Manny!

Mimi Foxmorton said...

Myself, I wait for something green..........
;)