Sunday, January 30, 2011

D`Oh!





Did you ever do something that you wished others hadn`t seen?


I`ll admit I do such things quite frequently, generally though I`m lucky enough not to have witnesses that will not let me live it down. Seeing as how this episode of Feralism was darn funny, and since everyone that I know will hear about it later, I figured I may as well just tell the tale now to ensure the facts are straight.

Yesterday was another in a line of pretty busy days. Mister and I and Miss Yodeling piled into the car to buy some groceries and make some other stops. Mister wanted to stop at our local feed-store to see if chick order forms were in yet (They weren`t) since he wants to purchase some broad-breasted turkey poults. I also had a stop or two to make before we hit the Weis.

Now I`m one of them folks that likes to chat when I stop into one of our small-town stores and I am also a writer, which basically means I like to talk a lot and my mind wanders. After having a nice chat with the clerk about it being her birthday and how she was still nursing a cold, I grabbed up my little purchase and headed out the door. My mind was somewhere else I admit it. More than likely in some far off place where pixies or fairies roam or mayhap even plotting out some future storyline or spicy romantic encounters for my characters-I do shop and plot. I also drive and plot, sleep and plot and eat and plot.

I walked up to our car, lost in the random meanderings of my fictional world and tugged on the car handle, fully intending to hand my little bag to Miss Yodeling. It was then, when the back door refused to open that reality shoved that toasty scene with a tall vampire and a winsome heroine in a stone bathtub away rudely. It actually took me a second as I wondered why my kid locked the door to understand that the car door I was yanking on so violently wasn`t our car door at all.

By this time I could hear my husband and child in the gold car next to this strangers gold car laughing hysterically. The tears were rolling as I stepped with as much regality as I could from this unknown person’s car to ours. Mister, after he gathered himself enough to be able to speak, said he had thought to warn me not to go to the gold car next to us, but he assumed I would be offended that he would question my higher brain functions in such a manner.

By this time I was laughing as hard as they were at my own huge slip in brain power. Darn those sexy vampires in steaming water anyways! Oh well, at least the family got a belly-laugh out of my distraction as did I. And to the stranger with the gold car I do apologize but wish to tell you that your locks work really well!

So what have you all been up to lately? Hopefully it wasn’t as embarrassing as what I`ve been doing!

Also a big yodel of welcome to Ain`t for City Gals!

12 comments:

texwisgirl said...

Oh I think we can all admit to "Been there; Done that". :)

Verde Farm said...

I my--I have done this too. It is so embarrassing. Don’t worry about it--it’ happens to the best of us:) LOL

Sharon said...

I tried to get into someone's trunk, so don't let it bother you!

~Kim at Golden Pines~ said...

I could have written this post...I've also been there and done that, but I won't admit how many times! :-)

Michele Stefanides said...

Well, you know my most recent "lost in thought" story... I love the picture above!

houndstooth said...

I swear I'm not laughing! At least you didn't beat somebody off in a cab!

Mister Oz said...

Twice guilty. Once someone was even inside! The second, I was using a rental becuase my own was being repaired. Keyed the lock, wondered why the mirrors were all out of adjustment, fixed the mirrors to my liking, wondered where my work stuff went, tried the ignition and fail. After three times, I realized I was in the wrong car, slowly got out, looked all around to see if the owner was in sight and mad and left the scene!

That was a bad Summer...

Brenda said...

Guilty! More than once. I guess a wondering mind is a rather common ailment.

Nancy said...

Hee hee. That is a doh! moment. We all have them. Some much more embarrassing than that one. :)

Feral Female said...

Glad to know I`m not alone. And MO, you win the absent-minded award methinks! I could just picture you doing that my friend!

ain't for city gals said...

Hey...thanks for the shout out! In Arizona I would say 50% of the cars are beige...so you can see the problem! I have always said if I was rich I would own a BRIGHT yellow Hummer...if would save me about 1/3 of me day...

Rural Revival said...

Ha! Oh boy, thank goodness for locks that work well! And thanks for the laugh. Been there...good times : )

~Andrea~