Friday, January 14, 2011

A Before-Your-Timer





Howdy gang! Guess I had best try to explain that header huh?

As I grow to be more of a classic I find myself saying ‘This or that was before your time’ to Miss Yodeling more and more. When the heck did my time become before her time? Must have been about the same time a check-out clerk at Wal-Mart first called me Ma`am. Or when Mister and I went out to celebrate our anniversary and no-one carded me to ensure I was over twenty-one when I ordered a glass of red wine. Or possibly when the mailman began delivering brochures from AARP and I actually started reading them because you know…..three months and the big 50 shall be upon me.

Anydoodles, back to the latest ‘This was before your time’ I was talking about before I began to ramble. The past two days have been spent with my daughter. Wednesday we had a snow day. We had been all sorts of excited, thinking we`d have all day to play video games and chat about boys and what-not. As the day went on Miss Yodeling felt worse and worse. By Wednesday night her throat was so sore she sounded as if she had swallowed glass. Yesterday she stayed home from school to rest.

Since she was home she and I once more had all day to twiddle away the time, so we sat down to watch some episodes of one of our favorite shows ‘Who`s line is it anyway’ on YouTube. During one of the many episodes we watched as she recuperated Drew Carry made an offhanded remark that went something like this….

“Just send in a Polaroid of yourself naked and we`ll get back to you!”

Miss Yodeling looked over at me as I snorted and with sincerity etched onto her face asked…

“What`s a Polaroid?”

“It`s a camera that we used to use back in the day that would spit out this undeveloped picture.”

Blank look from the young miss followed by sigh from the classic miss.

“It was really fun to sit around and watch the picture develop.”

Arched brow from the young miss followed by a roll of eyes from the classic miss.

“It was before your time.”



Ah well, at least some of us remember what a Polaroid is right?????

16 comments:

Melodie said...

Oh yes! Can I feel you pain! I go through that every day with The Boy! His favorite remark is, "Oh,it was in the 80's...the decade time wants to forget.."!

texwisgirl said...

I actually still have one of those cameras and have one pack of unopened film cartridge. Perhaps I could send it to you? :)

Sharon said...

For the "Younger Set", I use "Back in the Age of Dinosaurs....." With progress and so many changes in the norm - somebody ought to write a book with pictures of the popular things that are unknown to the "Younger Set", like Beta and VHS tapes.....

Michele Stefanides said...

I actually used my Polaroid camera five years ago at my daughter's bridal shower. The yunguns were captivated...Not just at the technology, such as it was, but at the fact that pictures are actually developed into something physical that you can hold. They just look at pictures on their digital cameras and computers!

Rural Revival said...

Certainly do and they were fun!

~Andrea~

Paula said...

*LOL* Cute! But now I feel kinda old...

Feral Female said...

I felt kind of old as well Paula!

Weren`t those Polaroid`s fun!? My mother loved hers and we had tons of them stashed into boxes.

houndstooth said...

Believe it or not, I think they still make a few of them. We have some at school for a few things. It sure was fun to watch the film develop, too!

Texan said...

Oh my .. yes well does this date us? mmmm ... tee hee they were fun cameras huh :O)..

Ya that not getting carded thing kinda stinks huh... I like it when they card you and you know darn well you look old enough but hey its a great little, um well not so real but dream land real ego boost eh? LOL... Please card me!

Hope your DD is feeling better!

Nancy said...

I have one of those cameras. I think you can still buy them -- they made a revival a year or so ago.

I'm so glad I don't have a child at home to remind me of how old I am. Haha!

Verde Farm said...

Oh my gosh--I love polaroids and was sad when they quit making them a few years ago. I couldn’t believe it. We used them at my work a lot but it is so funny she had no idea. It really spells it out for us doesn’t it? LOL I find myself in this scenario with my employees--I tell them how their job’s used to be when I did them and then I end with “I walked through the snow barefoot to get to work too” :) LOL

Judy's Corner said...

Love it! And yes, yes, the Polaroid was quite the perfect solution to the need for instant gratification when taking pictures... of course, with the digital world came the REAL solution!

Enjoyed the story. Hope the young miss is well again.

Mister Oz said...

Nancy's right, there was a resurgence in Polaroid's recently.

The one that broke my heart was in 1996 when one of the radio d.j.s where I managed asked "Who are the Beatles?"

Leigh said...

It bothers me that I can recall the polaroid...:( LOL

Feral Female said...

I`m glad to hear I`m not the only one who remembers what a Polaroid is!

Who are the Beatles?!?!? For shame on that person MO!

Willard said...

A great post! I had my defining moment when I was working law enforcement and was talking to a hunter who was older than me and he in all seriousness called me, "Pap". I told this at work and from that time on I was "Pap".

We were just talking about the Polaroid the other day and about how the company probably never even saw digital coming and though they would have a product for years to come, but suddenly the market was gone.