Tuesday, December 28, 2010

I`ll try my best.....

....to awnser some of the questions that a few of my bloggin` buddies asked about our processing of our steer.Before I forget I`d like to say howdy to Nancy who just joined in! Welcome aboard and don`t worry, yodeling isn`t a necessity to visit the hillside farm!

Okay, on to some of the querys that came up!

Taylorgirl 16 asked about secrets to knives and about different cuts.

The knives that we used were mostly my husband`s wildlife knives. He does have a large boning knife and a fillet knife that only he uses due to my knack of being clumsy. Before we begin any butchering operation all knives-his and my paring knives-are sharpened by hand on a stone by Mister Yodeling. Also we will stop and sharpen as needed during the cutting process. With knives you really do get what you pay for, so buying the best you can afford will pay you back handsomely, especially with a huge job like a steer.

As to the different cuts of beef what we did was simply process the steer as we do venison. Actually our butchering process is kind of sparse as we really only cut out filet, t-bones and some roasts. There are skads of fancy cuts like skirt steaks and on and on. Since we`re not professional butchers we opted to only do what we know how to do. Also we have a book in our rather large farm library that was a great help to us. It`s called 'Raising a Calf for Beef' and is written by Phyllis Hobson.



I recommend it highly to anyone thinking of raising a calf for the freezer. It covers everything from bringing the calf home to weaning, rations, medical care, fattening the calf and butchering time. It has a very nice section on slaughtering, cutting and processing beef on the farm. The butchering section even has pictures to show you where and how to cut all sorts of steaks, roasts and briskets.

John Grey asked about step-by-step blogs on meat butchering. Were you asking about beef John or just anything we raise on the farm? When we process the Hereford I can surely show you the process step-by-step but that won`t be until next fall. We are though processing roosters this weekend. (The hens have asked us to lower the numbers of the randy blighters and we always do as the ladies ask!)If anyone is interested in seeing how we handle butchering chickens I`ll be more than glad to take the camera outside and snap pictures as we go along.

We also process our goat kids for the freezer but that will also be next fall, since the two that we had left over from this spring have already been butchered.


I hope that helped some. If anyone else has more questions just fire away! I`m always happy to chat about how things are done on our farm and on other`s farms as well!

6 comments:

Nancy said...

Yodel-lay-he-hoo! (How's that?)

Very interesting post. It's good to hear that butchering beef is very similar to venison, which makes sense. I may have to check out that book above. Sounds like something I need to read. :)

Sharon said...

Good Post! Don't think I would want to butcher a kid though.....

Melodie said...

Grocery store...phhhtzzzt..who needs a grocery store when you live on a farm!

taylorgirl6 said...

That book looks fantastic. I'll put it on my wish list. Thanks for the great answers, and definitely keep me posted when you butcher the kids and the hereford!

houndstooth said...

Interesting questions and answers!

Feral Female said...

I`ll keep y`all posted on the kids and Hereford.