Sunday, November 14, 2010

Sunday Night Lowdown or.....

…..What I did during my husband’s vacation.


Howdy gang, tug out a chair and have a sit-down! I hope all is well in your lives since we last shared a cup. Everything on the hillside farm is chugging along nicely although it has been busy as ever. First off I wanted to pass along that my dad is out of the hospital and doing nicely. He drove up today to visit and aside from having too many meds to take he`s rather chipper!

Now as this post indicates Mister Yodeling had the past week off. Originally he was supposed to be archery hunting for deer but since he filled his tag earlier than anticipated he had a whole week to attend to that honey-do list of his. One of the first jobs came rolling around on Monday. He had been saying he wanted to build a roof to cover our hanging pole. For those of you who don`t hunt, the hanging pole is where you hang your deer to skin, gut and let it hang to cool. The roof was in anticipation of having to butcher a Hereford steer.

Now being the kindly and obedient wife I am (I know that made me snicker as well) I volunteered to help. Mister had some plans on how to reach this post that I was a tad leery about. When the tractor was brought up and parked under the future building site I grew even more anxious. See living on a side-hill ladders are rather dicey so my husband decided that standing in the bucket of the Kubota would be safer. I was the tractor operator and it was my job to lift and lower the bucket while he balanced precariously inside it.



Uh-huh. Have I ever mentioned that I do not drive anything not automatic and that clutches and I are sworn enemies? I dislike clutches and they dislike me. It’s a mutual hatred rest assured. The day kind of went just as y`all expected it would go. I ended up saying very sweetly, since I am so kindly and mild-tempered, that if he told me to push in the clutch one more time I would not be responsible for the expletives that followed. Despite some heated words and a lot of jerky starts, stops and lifts we got that job done and it only took seven hours!! It will keep the snow off the Hereford I think. It better, because I`m done playing Bob the Builder rest assured.

During all this I`ve also been hard at work at my NaNoWriMo novel. NaNoWriMo-National Novel Writing Month-is a contest of sorts held by the Office of Lights and Letters that encourages writers to pen 50,000 words during the month of November. I think if you get to your goal you`re considered a winner. As of this evening I`m at roughly 27,400 words in my fantasy novel, so it`s coming along well even with my husband home all week.

Wednesday we tore up all our old linoleum in the kitchen. We had ran uptown and ordered some new to be laid on Friday. Again, nothing says love like doing home improvement jobs with your spouse. At least this job didn`t require a clutch and nearly spilling Mister out of a Kubota bucket. It only required we remove all the appliances and rip and tear.



Mister is very good at demolition and he`ll freely admit that! Friday came quickly as I typed and typed and typed some more, and then our new floor was done! The fellow did a great job and it looks really good I think. It`s dark which is a plus. I swore I would never ever have white linoleum again!



Three dogs, two cats, umpteen goats and two cows that make pooh-pooh to track in, a teen-ager and a husband + white flooring? What was I thinking??? In my defense when I ordered the flooring for our trailer we didn`t have dogs, cats, goats or kids. Now of course the paneling doesn`t match the floor. Did I pick out new flooring knowing it wouldn`t match and therefore ensure I would need new paneling for the kitchen??


Would I do something like that???? *Bats lashes coyly*

12 comments:

Michele Stefanides said...

Happy to hear your Dad's out of the hospital. New floor looks great!! My husband and I long ago split up the tasks involved in household/yard projects--I do the hard work--picking out colors, materials, deciding what goes where--and then he does the easy part of completing the project. This system works well for us!! :-) Great job on your novel, keep going!

Verde Farm said...

Glad your dad is doing well. That's always the best news isn't it? I know how it is to "help" hubby and potentially be reduced to expletives. Made me laugh. I know I would pick a floor knowing I would have to change the walls...just something we are good at :) LOL
Amy

houndstooth said...

Sounds like a busy vacation! I'm glad your dad made it home again. I have a feeling my husband would have fallen out of that bucket, perhaps more than once! I will not comment on whether I would be laughing each of those times. Have fun picking out the new paneling!

Sharon said...

Very busy! Um... I WILL not do any more projects with my DH, since what we refer to the "shed incident".
Glad your Dad is getting around just fine!
Love, love, love the kitchen floor!, Natch - you need new paneling now, something bright that says "I'm beautiful and I match the floor!"

Melodie said...

Well now I am jealous! I have old, ugly, stained and scratched kitchen floor tile!Oh did I forget it is white too!It was in the house when we bought it..it is on the to do list,I think#684,sigh!

Mister Oz said...

I'm so happy to learn Mister stayed in the bucket despite some potentially precarious moments.

In my prior career buckets and people were forbidden to mix. Glad everyone is safe and sound!

Feral Female said...

Ah-ha! So it is not just my hubby and me doing projects, this is good to know! We still have molding to put up. *Sighs*

Indeed he did stay in the bucket and although I did have thoughts of dumping him I was a good girl. =)

Leigh said...

LOL, your roof building made me chuckle! Excellent flooring! I love it.

John Gray jgsheffield@hotmail.com said...

with all the pee from the new dog I can do with a floor like yous!!!

Texan said...

Nice new floor girly!! I did white floors ONCE lol...lesson learned lol... My DH likes the demolition part best in any project :O)... Problem is that it sometimes goes on when we are suppose to be in the fix it new part of the project ROFL...

~Tonia said...

I love the floor!! If you primer paneling it paints really well!
My dear sweet hubby and I can work well on somethings but on others its better we split up. Glad you got somethings done! Nifty idea for hanging area for your steer and whatever else you butcher.
Ihad a white floor once when the girls were little! I would NEVER have it ever again!

Willard said...

I can really relate to your experiences with using the tractor bucket as a ladder, we do it frequently. They can be frustrating to use at times, but a tractor with a front end loader makes life so much easier. I well remember when they got us a tractor with loader on the state. This coincided with the onset of heavy gypsy moth mortality and we went to clear out a road that would have taken a day or more cutting and throwing it out by hand, but the tractor and bucket made the job relatively easy.