Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Once he was a plump caterpillar.....

And now he is a butterfly! Hi all! Since Absolum decided to emerge yesterday I just had to share some pictures! Here he is just a few minutes after breaking free. Notice how the chrysalis changed from green to clear.



We allowed him some time to dry his wings off. During that time he would turn his body this way and that as he hung from the dried milkweed leaf he had attached to. Within a couple of hours he was fully dried and trying to escape the jar. Miss Yodeling carried him outside on her finger and placed him on one of my peony bushes.(I knew I hadn`t cut them back for a reason!)



When next we checked on him he was gone. We wish you well Absolum on the long journey you`re making to Mexico!

9 comments:

Sharon said...

It's so fresh and clean looking! I hope it has a good journey too!

Leigh said...

That is so neat. We have a lot of Swallow tails in this area. Unfortunately it has been years since I have seen a Monarch. Very cool indeed! ;)

Texan said...

That is so neat!

~Tonia said...

Cool!

Brenda said...

Very cool!

Michele Stefanides said...

Beautiful! That was quick. I hadn't seen a butterfly go from caterpiller to butterfly in a long time, I had forgotten the time frame. We had quite a few monarchs in our garden this year. Thanks for sharing!

Feral Female said...

I`m glad we could find one and share his transformation with y`all!

small farm girl said...

That was so cool!

houndstooth said...

I'm glad this one worked for you and you got to see him!