Sunday, September 19, 2010

Hunger Games & Scavenger Hunts

Hello there gang! Come on in and have a sit down.


Yesterday was a beautiful September day here in the Laurel Highlands! Bright sun and mid seventies-a perfect day for a scavenger hunt I agree! And that`s just what Miss Yodeling and I did all afternoon. This event was sponsored by our local bookstore and my favorite bookworm Casey who owns the shop.





For anyone who hasn`t read ‘The Hunger Games’ by Suzanne Collins I highly recommend it. It`s the first in a trilogy of novels (The second I picked up before the hunt began because I CANNOT leave that store empty-handed!) After signing in and paying our modest two dollar fee my side-kick in scavenging and I set out to find the long list of items required.

String and acorns, different kinds of leaves, an old bottle or can, feathers from birds and wildflowers! We began in our town square which is called The Green.



Also all who participated were required to go to a long list of our local shops and get cards from the merchants. The cards related to things one would have read about in The Hunger Games.

For some added fun and points we had to enter a lovely gift shop on a very busy Saturday afternoon and sing ‘Yankee Doodle’. Only after the highly entertained owner heard our rendition did she sign our sheet. Thankfully I am not an overly shy person but Miss Yodeling was rather reluctant to vocalize! *Giggles at child`s embarrassment*



We spent a good two hours combing our lovely hometown for items and cards and we had a wonderful time doing it! After we complied all we could we returned to the book store and handed in our treasures and sheet. There were prizes for those who did the best and got the most items but the tally wasn`t until the end of the games, which was too late for us to hang around for. Evening chores awaited us so we still don`t know if or what we won but in all honesty it doesn`t matter. A fine fall day spent outdoors and singing ‘Yankee Doodle’ was more than enough fun for me!


And that rosy tint on my kids cheeks during the singing was the icing on the Hunger Games cake!

8 comments:

Michele Stefanides said...

What a great way to enjoy the beautiful weather of yesterday afternoon!

houndstooth said...

What fun! I love a good scavenger hunt. I'm about to start that book soon, too, probably for a book discussion.

Sharon said...

A little embarrassment is what we're here for - right? Scavenger hunt sounds like fun!

Jabacue said...

Great way to spent a great September day!

Brenda said...

Sounds like fun and a great way to get a lot of people in the town involved.

Feral Female said...

It was a really good way to get people in town involved and visting our local merchants.

Ooo you`ll really enjoy the Book Houndy!

small farm girl said...

I thought that was the reason we had kids. Just to embarrass them. lol

The Stonehedge Farm said...

what fun the scavenger hunt sounds like. I am your newest follower. Please come and take a look at my blog and follow.