Monday, July 12, 2010

Rural Ramblings-Pennsylvania Grand Canyon

Hi y`all! Have a sit down and I`ll pull out the virtual photo album. (Yup, lots of pictures are a coming!)


Today dawned cool and beautiful here in the Laurel Highlands, so we trio of yodeling goatherder`s set forth for a day trip. We have a couple planned during this last week of Mister Yodeling`s vacation and have been looking forward to them. Today`s trip is one we make every year yet we always stand awe inspired when we arrive.




We did take the scenic route today as opposed to running along the major highways. I love taking rides through the country and woods! I clearly recall Sunday rides when I was a child. My younger brother and I in the backseat, heads turning like barn owls to take in the sights! Our first stop was another favorite site of ours that`s located near the right branch of Asaph State woods, a beautiful parcel of land in our county.



This is a millstone that was left behind many, many years ago. A local man would come to this spot and cut these massive stones then load them onto a horse-drawn wagon. Then the millstones would be taken to a grist mill close to fifteen miles away in Sabinsville. Just imagine the back-breaking work that went into such an endeavor!





After stopping there we loaded back into the car and drove to the Pennsylvania Grand Canyon. There are two vantage points visitors can view the gorge and Pine Creek from-Leonard Harrison and Colton Point.



We chose Leonard Harrison this time, although both sides of the canyon are equally beautiful. The deepest section of the Pennsylvania Grand Canyon is 1450 feet. From the lookout at Leonard Harrison the elevation is 1833 feet.

There have been sightings of bald eagles nesting along the gorge. We didn`t see any today sadly but hopefully we will next year!



I`ll let the scenery speak for itself since whatever meager words I put down will not do the PA Grand Canyon justice.









12 comments:

taylorgirl6 said...

Wow. This is so beautiful. The funny thing is, I was born in PA, but I've never seen it since.

Mister Oz said...

Wonderful pics, Feral! Having enjoyed the beautiful vistas from the bottom of that 1450 feet (and a little below the water's surface *wink*) it was a wonderful visit back through your images!

Sharon said...

Beautiful views! I didn't realize that even existed! That's my something new for today!

Reese =^..^= said...

Breathtaking!

small farm girl said...

Wow! You just can't beat the scenery in Pa.

houndstooth said...

I remember you talking about going there last year. It really is a beautiful place! You didn't lose an mothers-in-law this time, did you?

Brenda said...

Very pretty! This looks like a wonderful place to take a day trip. You're lucky to have such beautiful places so close to home. The mill stone is amazing too.

ShinesterTheFourHundredth said...

Wow, what a fantastic view! I have to say that I am a little envious!

Texan said...

Beautiful ....

Feral Female said...

It really is quite breathtaking. I`m glad I could share it with y`all! =)

phylliso said...

Thanks for taking me back there,I remember those huge rocks along the way to the canyon.It is especially beautiful in autumn.
There is a quaint little church on the way if I remember right,I wonder if it`s still there.I have pics of it somewhere.phylliso

Willard said...

What a beautiful place!