Thursday, July 15, 2010

Road Trip-Corning Museum of Glass

Good morning all!



I sure hope everyone is doing well and that life is smiling upon each of you! We goatherders have been keeping busy, which is hardly new. Heck anyone who has critters knows that boredom seldom sets in, and if it does some animal will leap a fence or engage in some other goofy exercise to get us off our bottoms!

As the two week vacation begins to wind down we still have a few things left on the ‘Honey-Do’ list, but they`ll have to wait for another day or two. Yesterday Mister and I, Miss and my darling mother-in-law set off to New York State and the lovely city of Corning. This was our first trip to the famous Corning Glass Museum, although Mister`s father had worked for the Corning Co. for over 35 years.



The weather was kind of gray and misty but actually that was welcomed since it kept the heat down! Of course the museum was fully air-conditioned but the forced cool air wasn`t the only cool thing about this amazing museum! We strolled though exhibits from modern glassware back to the very beginnings of glassblowing. We even got to touch an urn made in Roman times!! From fiber optics and television tubes to Chinese glassworks, we even got to see glass being blown into a stunning bowl. This museum had it all and if anyone is ever in the Corning area, I heartily recommend stopping and spending a few hours.

I literally took over a hundred pictures and wish I could share them all with you. It would get rather tedious though even if you have been sipping my coffee while we looked. So I worked and worked to pick out some of the most stunning works to show everyone. Due to the huge amount of glassware displayed and the various ages I simply narrowed it down to two categories-Contemporary & Historical.

I`ll warn you, this is a pretty heavy load of photos, but they`re all beautiful I assure you.


Historical

*~*~*~*
























Contemporary

*~*~*

















And yes, all those flowers in and around that old truck are all made of glass! I hope you enjoyed seeing just a fraction of the sights to see at the Corning Glass Museum!

17 comments:

Sharon said...

I have always loved glass work! I wish I could have been a hamster in your pocket and seen it all! Beautiful and fantastic!!!

small farm girl said...

Those are beautiful!

houndstooth said...

It looks like a really interesting trip! I've always loved glasswork, and I've heard great things about that museum before. I'm glad you had a good time!

Yoda & Brutus said...

That museum looks really cool. That is the kind of place that our mom would really enjoy :)

Thanks for sharing the pics of the wonderful glass pieces!

Pugs & Kisses,

Yoda & Brutus

Texan said...

Love those old trucks! and the glass flowers in it were very nice! I think I like that one the best :O)

Jeremy Conner said...

I love that chess board! Perhaps I could find one somewhere. If not it will be your distinct privilege to steal it for me.

ShinesterTheFourHundredth said...

I envy you so much, Feral! I wouldn't mind that chess board either, but I'd be too afraid to keep it at all in fear of even making a small chip off of it! Ha ha ha!

Mister Oz said...

Who knew they could do so much with glass?! Thanks for sharing such wonderful photos. Corning has been on my list of places to see for many years.

Pumpkinpuddy said...

Pumpkin's mom here. I love glass. I used to live in West Virginia and would visit the Fostoria factory before it closed. Sounds like Corning needs to go on my must visit someday list. Maybe late September when the leaves are changing.

Brenda said...

It sounds like an amazing place to visit. Thank you for sharing the story and photos!

Feral Female said...

It was a very amazing place to visit. I`m glad to have been able to share some of it with y`all!

phylliso said...

I love glassware,I especially love the blue glass bowl & the stained glass,having my cup of coffee with you this am,now got to go see your visit to the Pa.grand canyon,we`ve been there a couple of times,I fell on the trail one time,phylliso

Pibble said...

Stopping by during the blog hop...

I remember going to the Corning Museum ages ago (when I was a kid). I loved it. I'm so glad to see that it's still amazing. Thanks for sharing, and for visiting my blog!

Jill said...

What gorgeous pictures of all the glass art! Can't believe all those glass flowers! Have a great weekend! Purrs...

buchelesk9s -- Ken and Laurie Buchele said...

Absolutely breathtaking! Thanks for stopping by our blog and I'm glad I hopped over to yours. Enjoy your weekend!

Feral Female said...

Thanks for stopping in Physillisco,Pibble, Jill and buchelesk9s! Glad to have you here!

Willard said...

An amazing series and exquisitely beautiful.