Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Bad boys, bad boys....

What `cha gonna do??


Well I can tell you good folks what we did with our randy buck boys, we moved them! Over the past week there have been some very odd sounds in our goat barn. Those of you who own bucks know the sound I`m talking about. It`s a mixture of a deer grunt and flopping lips with that deep buck baritone.




BRAH!!

*Lip flop*

BRAH!!

*Lip flop*


Uh-huh. The unfettered call of a riley goat-man! Since I don`t want kids to hit the ground in January we decided we had put it off long enough. (Actually I`m praying we didn`t out if off TOO long if you get my drift.) It was time to get Anakin and Auron out of temptations way. We had left a rather large area of our yard grow for just this reason, since putting them in with the steers just didn`t seem practical.

We cleaned out the small barn and freshly bedded it after booting yet ANOTHER chicken with maternal dreams out the doorway. Then it was simply a matter of running the electric fence around the new bachelor pad.




I had the glorious job of carrying the fence posts (I`m sure I would have had the instruction-reader gig as well but this job comes with none.) Miss Yodeling was the designated applier of new insulators and Mister Yodeling handled the driving of posts and manly direction-giving. Surely we girls would have been lost without his masculine knowledge of proper string un-wrapping techniques. *Rolls eyes*




Boy was it hot when we were doing this! Hot, humid and buggy. The deer-flies were out in droves and only buzzing around my head. Why the heck does this happen??? Why can there be my husband and child standing right next to me and the consabbit biting bugs only bite me??? I refuse to consider the explanation Mr. Yodeling gives me and have opted to think I am just far tastier than he is.




After a few welts and one sound swat to my head (I asked him to do it. There was a deerfly resting atop my noggin preparing to drill into my skull) the boys were rounded up and led to their new digs.



They seemed to be rather upset about the sudden lack of lovely caprine beauties at first. Then they found an autumn olive bush. After a good head-rub and some leaves complete with branches Auron and Anakin now stand at the three-strands of electric gazing with soulful goaty eyes across the driveway.






Oh the heartbreak to be thwarted once more by loves fickle finger and three strands of miserable yellow fence!

11 comments:

Sharon said...

Oh how funny .....
and smart!

~Tonia said...

LOL! I tried keeping one buck in with Electric fence when the girls started smelling sweet to him he endured the bite and Flew thru the fence... Needless to say they thought their plan was better than ours. I use panels now. At least 5 ft dont ask about the jumping... I also donthave that buck anymore..
Bugs usually bother everyone else here not me!
Pretty boys by the way!

phylliso said...

We only have wethers and we move them around with livestock panels.I would rather use electric ,maybe some day we`ll get up the nerve to try it.We have them fenced in now,but will be moving them to the panels soon ,then back to the barn for winter.They always manage to escape the panels,lol,luckily I`ve been home to catch them before they get into too much trouble!phylliso

Leigh said...

LOL! I had to chuckle, the antics of these bad boys are hysterical... I recall noticing the tongue flapping and lip smacking of one of my friends bucks.... Perverse little fellows they are. I had to hold my hands over my eyes... but reluctantly watched through the cracks between my fingers! haha
:)
-Leigh

ShinesterTheFourHundredth said...

All's well that ends well, eh? :D

Life With Dogs said...

LOL! Brilliant closing line...

houndstooth said...

Well, there's always next year! I suppose it's not a totally hopeless dream after that one affair that Anakin had last winter!

Does this mean you'll get to hear the goat music of the night for the next week?

Feral Female said...

Ya know Houndy after that indiscrition last year I don`t put anything past that buck! As of today the songs have dwindled down to a mere mournful 'Blap' now and again, and both are still where they belong...at the moment.

Carol............. said...

Sounds like you have a very "fertile" farm! LOL

Hen's a layin'
Goat's a brayin'

small farm girl said...

Oh great, me being a new goat owner, I now have this to look forward too. lol. Thanks for the heads up.

Texan said...

okay blogger ate my first attempt at this...

I will be back to see if the three strands of electric fence hold those boys of yours!

No matter what we did we couldn't keep our extra buck up. He could squeeze out, crawl under, jump over, push thru, You name it to get to those girls!

We no longer have Extra Buck ... we are back to just the one big boy Harrison.