Sunday, June 27, 2010

You never know what the day will bring....

When you wake up in the morning do you??


Hi all! The coffee`s fresh and so am I at times. I hope everyone is doing well as June dwindles down. Life here on the hillside farm never seems to dwindle for some odd reason. Which kind of takes me back to the entry header which I`m sure you`re glad to see. I do tend to veer I know; just snap your fingers in front of my face when I drift off.

Yesterday began as they all do here. Coffee and chores firstly and foremostly! I had planned on doing some laundry but got side-tracked by some fiction work. Also I was sluggish from the night before. Mister and I went out to dinner Friday night to celebrate our 19th wedding anniversary. The food was delicious but far, far too rich…..at least I`m blaming my lethargy on the food! *Winks*

Anydoodles, by the time I had myself in some sort of mental mindset it was time to attend a 4-H meeting. This month’s meeting was at the home of our good friends who raise Boar goats. You all remember them from my entry ‘Ready to meet some meat goats?’

We attended to club business and made inquiries about how far the kids were in their project books. Amazingly Miss Yodeling has her goat book completed! Now she has to finish her photography book and display. If the 4-H members don`t have their bookwork done by Roundup they cannot show their animals at our local fair. That is a HUGE incentive to hit the books but usually the incentive doesn`t kick in until a week before Roundup. Then it`s chicken without head time! Teen-agers, what can you do?







We had a very informative hoof trimming demonstration after the formal business was taken care of, then some Kool-Aid and snacks. Afterwards I trundled my child home and was still feeling the effects of that rich food, so I fiddled some with more writing. (I`m making up for it today trust me, the washer is already running!)

After our evening chores we had settled in to watch a movie on Pay-Per-View when someone knocked on our door. Being caught unawares very seldom happens in this place since our dogs are barkers. Robust and incessant barkers! It turns out that one of our neighbors down the road was having trouble with his bike and needed to call home for a ride. Mister and Mr. Biker had worked together and even car-pooled when we lived in the trailer park across from Mr. Biker`s house so they chatted for a bit, then Mr. Biker walked down our drive to meet his wife.

Not five minutes later their van pulled up and he and his wife came back to the door. Mister Yodeling went back out and after a few minutes came back inside carrying this.



I know, is he cute or what??? As the story came to us Mr. Biker said he was walking down to the end of our long drive to meet his bride when this kitten came running up to him. It followed him to the road and he naturally assumed he was ours (We`re pretty sure it`s a him anyway) or perhaps my sister-in-laws who lives right beside us.



I immediately called my sis-in-law but the little guy didn`t belong to her. We couldn`t think of anyone nearby who had kittens so young so if anyone who lives near us and reads along knows who this 6-8 week old kitten belongs to, give us a ring!

We simply had to conclude someone dumped him alongside the road. That happens around here with frightening regularity it seems and it really makes me mad! If a person doesn`t want an animal at least take the poor thing to the S.P.C.A. where it can be adopted! Sorry. Sometimes I get on my soapbox. I`ll step down now.



The first thing that needed done was a flea bath since he was alive with them! Two baths later and a good combing with a flea comb and we decided he was clean enough to place on the floor. He is a very docile kitten and seems right at home with us and the dogs. We started calling him Lucius since that sounds pretty cool teamed with Lu-Lu and unless someone claims him I think he`ll be staying. I`m such a softie!!

Speaking of Lu-Lu it seems someone has a royal whisker out of place about the arrival of Lucius! Talk about being in a snit!! She has made her displeasure known both to us and to Lucius whenever he gets too close. I have to think that she`ll come around eventually once they get to know each other better.

Although when I mentioned to her that maybe her upcoming new blog may need to be renamed ‘Purrrsonal Thoughts by Lu-Lu AND Lucius’ I got quite the evil eye! If he stays I think they`ll have to share the blog as well as the house stink-eye or not!



Must be new kitten arriving was written in invisible ink on our day planner!

13 comments:

houndstooth said...

Oh, he is just so cute! I must say that his color is rather fetching, too! I hope Lu-Lu decides to let him stay. He'd be good company.

Remember Lu-Lu, all queens need minions to serve beneath them!

Bunny

Rising Rainbow said...

That used to happen around here a lot when we first moved in. Can't tell you the number of stray kittens that turned up. I hate when people do that too so your soapbox is acceptable to me. I'm right there with you.

~Kim at Golden Pines~ said...

What a cutie!! I would have kept him too!! When we moved to the country I expected to have our share of strays show up, but after 3 years, nothing. I guess they know the Inn is full!

Sharon said...

He's an adorable kitten! Fair warning - the queen may try to kill him. I really hate people who do that to little animals (or big ones for that matter).

Jabacue said...

Lucky kitty, or should I say Lucius. Now I want one too!!!!

Rina ... also Chester or Daisysmum. said...

Oh his's so cute you just gotta keep him. Congratulations on your anniversary many more happy years together.

Feral Female said...

Yes he is rather fetching I have to admit! I`m glad to have him, I`ve always had a weakness for cats. Dogs too. And goats and ducks and...*Sigh* Yeah, thats me in a nutshell! =)

small farm girl said...

How cute! I am right there on that soap box with you. Nothing and I mean NOTHING makes me madder than someone dropping off an animal. We usually get dogs here. Gggrrrrrrr!

Kelle said...

All kittens are cute, we too have had a rash of drop offs or kittens/ cats showing up out of nowhere. Right now we have one little white kitten( with yellow eyes) that we're working on tamin down in hopes she sticks around as our barn kitty. Of course she was half starved and very wild but she is letting us come into the barn without running away, still have yet to get very close to her, but she knows we are the ones feeding her and providing a water dish in the barn, plus a blanket to sleep on the hay. I hope we can catch her and tame her to get her spayed before she gets bread by the neighbors tomcat*sigh* I know I' a big ole softy but I can't let anything starve.

Feral Female said...

Seems we`re all softies when it comes to taking in strays. I just cannot understand how some folks can just toss a puppy or kitten into the weeds and drive off. It`s beyond my realm of understanding but alas some people are very cold I suppose.

Leigh said...

For some reason when you have pets you become the prime dumping spot, thats how it is with us anyway. Your little fellow sure is adorable! I beet he is going to be a keeper! ;)

goatgirl said...

That is how I got all my kitties. I always say there is an invisible sign and the end of my drive that says..Drop off here.
Cute kitty. I think he should be called "Lucky" for landing at your place.

My word verification is joyfuri.....very fitting.

Texan said...

cute kitty....:O)....

I just hate trimming hooves!! I just told someone else... I would rather give ten shots than trim one hoof! Makes me a nervous wreck..