Sunday, March 7, 2010

From Feral`s Front Porch

Well actually that should read Feral`s goose coop!

I`ve been keeping my eyes open for any harbinger`s of spring I could find. Since no robins or red-winged blackbirds have arrived yet nor have any goat kids * Wags fingers at cross-legged does* I was happier than a hog with a full trough to find these this morning!




The first goose eggs of the season!! These are actually very good to eat and wonderful for baking. We also blow them out and decorate them for Christmas gifts. For those of you who may not own geese, I thought I`d give you a size comparison.

(Please ignore the Lu-Lu toes and nose.)



Going from the right to the left is a bantam egg, a jumbo egg then at the left a goose egg. You can make one heck of an omelette with a couple of those babies!!


I think it is FINALLY coming!!

4 comments:

Kritter Keeper said...

what a great post! i guess i won't be able to steal any of our wild goose eggs...:) cute kitty paws!

houndstooth said...

Lu Lu, way to steal the show!

Bunny

We'll take any sign of spring we can get! Goose eggs are as good as any!

Brenda said...

Wow! those are big! Do you hatch any?

Come on SPRING !!

Feral Female said...

That Lu-Lu is quite the scene stealer!


I haven`t hatched any in our incubators Brenda but the geese do set thier own nests. Hopefully later in the year we`ll have some new goslings pattering around the farm!=)