Thursday, February 25, 2010

A very gray morning......

I have a bit of sad news to relay from the hillside farm today.

Last night my dear old calico cat Susie, who we always called Bean for some unknown reason, passed away in her sleep. The old girl was nineteen and had been failing for quite some time as you may recall me mentioning. She did seem to rally for a month or two, but I suppose it was just her time last night.

She went peacefully which is what we all hope for. After Mr. Yodeling comes home from work we`ll bury her in our little spot beneath some shade trees. There she can sleep with some of the other beloved animals we`ve had over the years.



I`ll admit I`ve been contemplating how to go about penning this, there are just too many stories to relay when you`ve had a pet for nineteen years. Also, since it`s so fresh I`ll readily admit it`s kind of tough to find the proper words. So perhaps for today, I`ll simply post up some pictures of her and allow myself time to heal a bit before trying to pass along a story or two. I know you all will understand.


For now, I`ll borrow someone else`s words. This always brings me comfort when I lose a beloved pet, I`m sure it has others as well.




*~*~*~*



The Rainbow Bridge story

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge. When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.

There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable. All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigour; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.

The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster. You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again.

The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together

.... Author unknown

*~*~*~*~*


Run and play in the warm sun Bean, we`ll see each other one day and cross the bridge together.

10 comments:

Yoda & Brutus said...

So sorry to hear Susie's passing, the momma's got tears in her eyes.

There have been way to many furiends going to the rainbow bridge this past week :(

Pugs & Kisses,

Yoda & Brutus

Brenda said...

I'm sorry for your loss. My heart goes out to you. It is good that you had her so many many years. I find that very amazing. I hope my barn cats, Symba and Sheba are with me as long. They are a very important part of my animal family! -- Take care!

Flat Creek Farm said...

Oh, I'm sorry to read this. Susie Bean was a true, classic beauty and I can see in her eyes that she's a sweetheart as well. Comfort to you, my friend. It's so tough, but Rainbow Bridge, tears, hope, memories.. they all help. As well as some snuggles from the present critter crew :) Hugs! -Tammy

Mister Oz said...

All of our heartfelt condolences (my own, Patience, Cleopatra, and Jamie: domestic short hair, Russian Blue, and Himalayan respectively) to everyone (human and animal) on your hill.

Funny how the weather always seems to be appropriate.

small farm girl said...

Oh, I'm so sorry for your loss. I have never heard the Rainbow Bridge story before. But, it brought tears to my eyes as I imagined how it would feel to see some of my pets, that have passed, running across the field towards me.

houndstooth said...

I was so sorry to hear that she'd passed, but I know she lived a long and happy life on the farm with you. It's never easy to lose a beloved companion, but I am glad that she had a quiet passing and you didn't have to make that decision that we all hate to have to make. I hope that she's chasing butterfies and mice at the Bridge, or napping in a perfect beam of sunshine!

Feral Female said...

Thanks all, your words mean a great deal!*Hugs*

Yes, I imagine she is napping in a summer ray of sunshine just as all cats love to do.

ShinesterTheFourHundredth said...

May Susie rest in peace, because after all, after such a long, playful and I presume good life, she deserves to be set at ease and always be in memory with those who loved her.

I am sorry for the loss, Feral, and I hope yours and everyone's else's hearts heal in time. *swedish bear hug*

Feral Female said...

Awww thanks Shiney Mon!

dw said...

I was sent here by Tails and Tales because they said you lost someone very special to you. I can see that Bean meant an awful lot and I'm so sorry for your loss.