Thursday, February 4, 2010

Ready to meet some meat goats?

Come on in, pour yourselves a cup of joe and warm up!


If the weather in your neck of the woods has been anything like ours here in north central PA I`ll toss another log into the wood stove, because you`ll be half froze! Nothing worse than half-frozen bloggin` buddies I always say. This past weekend was so cold and so brutal we spent most of it indoors doing whatever we could to stay warm and keep ourselves from going loopy, loopier in my case, with severe cabin fever. Sunday afternoon we did have a great time and despite the wind rushing off an iceberg (They do exist in Pennsylvania, they`re just harder to spot behind all the cows)I thought I`d share with y`all.



As you all are well aware we here on the hillside farm raise dairy goats. The prima donnas of the caprine world as I have been known to call them among other things that are not permissible to reprint due to the G rating of this blog. But there are others out there who raise goats for meat and so this fine frigid day our little band of yodeling goatherders set off to go visit our friends who have boar goats, and hug their newborn kids. And chat. And hug newborn kids some more. And visit inside while the guys visit outside. (Why? I do not know. Must be some sort of manly thing. Who am I to venture to try to understand?) And hug newborn kids a little more!



I have to admit once I laid eyes on the wee ones it made me anxious for ours to be born, but we have about 6 weeks yet. *Sighs longingly* Our friends, who are also members of our 4-H group, breed their does earlier than we do here. Being animals raised for market they have set rules to adhere to for their goats to be eligible for our local fair and the livestock sale. Their kids must be born after January 1st and have to weigh at LEAST fifty pounds by the first of August.

I put that least up there in upper case because I cannot imagine being able to get one of my gangly dairy goats kids up to fifty pounds or over in 8 months. I suppose it would be possible but the amount of feed it would take to bulk up my dairy kids that fast; well…..Miss Yodeling would be leading this tomato with stick legs around the show ring! That`s quite an image isn`t it??



As you can see from the pictures from our buddies Mister, Mrs., Miss and Master Boar Lover, their goats are much stockier and well muscled than my dairy goats are, or will ever hope to be! My buck Anakin WISHES he had the girth across his chest their does do! *Ignores ribald comment from Anakin about the lovely Boar ladies ample chests*

As it stood Sunday when we were visiting and shivering, they had most of their kidding done with just a few more does left to go. Obviously this one poor gal was VERY close to her due date! By the time I have this posted hopefully she has delivered! My ankles were swelling just looking at the width of her. Sympathy pains can skip species, just ask any woman who has carried an eight pound plus child to full term, you never forget those last few weeks! I think my lower lumbar just twanged in commiseration.




Miss Yodeling and Miss Boar Lover have been very close girlfriends since way back in the early days of elementary school. Every year at fair they help each other with their goats in the ring and throughout the week with their animals are at the fairgrounds. It works out well since the dairy show is usually on a Monday and the non-dairy is on the following Tuesday. Friends surely do make the day seem so much brighter!



On that note I`d like to thank the Boar Lover family for allowing this horde of picture-snapping yodeling goatherders to come over for a few hours! It was a very enjoyable caprine filled day that I am so pleased to be able to share with you all!

I think I feel the need to hug a goat kid coming on again!! *Runs down to barn to give pep talk to girls*

6 comments:

Brenda said...

What a wonderful day with goatie friends! If you lived closer, you could come on over and hug lots of little - but growing very fast - dairy kids too!

When people ask me if I ever eat any of them ... I tell them the difference in the body build of dairy and meat goats. I've looked at my wethers and wondered if there would be enough meat there for a meal.... nope! I'm glad too, because I would have a VERY hard time eating one of the little ones we had raised on a bottle! It's just not going to happen around here!

Flat Creek Farm said...

What a fun day! Those kids are sooo adorable. I can't imagine 'me' raising meat goats. I'm such a wimp about things of that nature. I wouldn't even ride with Mr. W yesterday as he took one of our beef calves to the locker. That's one reason I try to 'keep a distance' with the cattle unless I'm needed. See? I'm a wimp! -Tammy

A Joyful Chaos said...

I love baby goats! they are so much fun. thanks for sharing.

Nezzy said...

Daddy told this Ozark farm chick long, long ( two longs 'cause I'm so old) never name anything you might eat.

The little goaties are just precious. I love the little spots on spots on the one being held.

God bless and have a fantastic day ya'll!!!

houndstooth said...

Looks like you all had a very pleasant afternoon together! Just be glad that the first buck you had didn't have the bulk of those meat goats!

Feral Female said...

They are some cute little kids! Oh my gosh Hound, I hadn`t thought of that! Dynamite with extra girth!!!