Sunday, February 28, 2010

Birthdays Wishes

Hello my friends and bloggin` buddies!

You know, life has a very funny way of helping us along in sad times. One of the key ways I happen to think is providing us with friends and family. I wanted to say thank you to everyone who passed along condolences on the passing of our cat Susie. Your kindness was truly warming and I am touched deeply by how much love and understanding each of you passed our way.

Another manner this old life has of helping us along is to make sure we keep moving on, taking time to grieve then nudging us along the path. Such is the way it has to be. We lose, we lament and we carry on. Bean will be missed and I`ll pass along some reminiscences soon but as I mentioned earlier our lives must move on.

Today is Miss Yodeling`s fourteenth birthday. Actually her birthday is February 29th but since that only comes once every four years, we celebrate on the 28th. We like to tease her about being the tallest three year old we`ve ever seen! *Winks devilishly*Of course, when you live life at Hobbit height everyone seems lanky, even your own child!

We`ll be celebrating her special day later this afternoon down at her grandmother`s since our driveway is passable only with four-wheel drive thanks to the near foot of snow that we got. Gifts will be given, cake and ice cream will be eaten and family and her friends will help be festive.

As I contemplated this day approaching, and did the shopping for a fourteen year old young lady, it came to me that this really cannot be. How can this little girl be a young woman already?! Didn`t I just bring her home from the hospital? Wasn`t it just yesterday we rode to town and after looking down at the sleeping doll in her car seat I asked my husband how he and I could have made something so beautiful? How did my little girl grow from a chubby cheeked toddler into a woman on the cusp of a life filled with promise? It surely happened far too quickly for her mother, and her father also I`m sure.

Perhaps my mood was more reflective over the past couple of days, I truly cannot say, but I would like to pass a virtual birthday missive to her.

I`d like to share this poem I wrote a while back with you all, in honor of my daughter`s birthday. It was penned with her in mind. Also since it is my job as her mother to make her blush and groan I`d like to share some pictures of her. Actually she should be grateful I didn`t pull out the REALLY embarrassing one of her washing dishes when she was three! I`ll save that for the first boyfriend.





Monarchs & Milkweed Pods


*~*~*

Take my hand dear child of mine
And let us walk this Earth

Your fingers small inside my palm
Your laughter full of mirth

The monarch dances from your touch
Amid the milkweed pods

My precious one of four years old
I thank the stars and Gods

For pouting lips and golden locks
For chubby little thighs

For walks in fall with you my child
T`is true how fast time flies





*~*~*

Take my hand dear child of mine
And let us walk this Earth

For three and ten years now we stroll
These walks are growing dearth

Your thoughts but touch upon the pods
That hold the monarchs weight

For womanhood waits just beyond
I cannot make you wait

To venture into your own life
And leave your mother poor

So now I'll cling onto your hand
For just a short time more

*~*~*

Take my hand dear child of mine
And let us walk this Earth

I gaze upon you in your gown
Thirty years from your birth

Your happiness upon this day
Shines brightly in your eyes

Your face is veiled yet still I see
A touch of butterflies

Memories rich in autumn glory
The milkweed pods SO clear

I weep a mothers tears of joy
And long to keep you near

*~*~*

Take my hand dear child of mine
My soul slips from this Earth

My life has been a rich full one
Each day a day of worth

I look at you and see your tears
Your children at your side

My daughter do not weep for me
Your family is my pride

I am alone, your father gone
I feel him now nearby

Please do know that I love you so
This monarch now must fly.






Happy birthday honey.

Love,

Mom & Dad


(Sorry about the size of the scanned pictures, especially that last one of Miss Yodeling riding her dad`s shoulders after a day of kite flying. She was perhaps two at the time. )

9 comments:

Brenda said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Brenda said...

Wow, your poem is wonderful.... brought tears to my eyes and a lump in my throat! ... deep breath ... Okay - I hope you all enjoy today and enjoy each birthday to come!

Laura said...

Such sweet thoughts and lovely poem, from a mom who is missing her 24 year old daughter on the other side of the world terribly right now.
Enjoy every moment you have with her still in your grasp.

houndstooth said...

I still love that poem! I know how close the two of you are and I hope that you alway have that special closeness between you! Miss Yodeling was cute as a bug's ear! I'm surprised there was no picture of the Slash hat!

ShinesterTheFourHundredth said...

Awww, congratulations Miss Yodeling! :) Such a nice poem, Feral, as well!

small farm girl said...

I'm not one who crys at a drop of a hat, but your poem made me actually cry. Thanks, it made me look at motherhood from the eyes of my mother. Since I don't have kids of my own, this is the only way that I can see it.Tell your youngin,Happy Birthday.

goatgirl said...

That was the most beautiful poem I have ever read about a mother's love for their child. Just a thought....my mom wrote a poem so I put it to pictures and made her a book on Shutterfly. Just an idea. She would cherish it all her life. That was just beautiful.
Happy birthday Miss Yodeling.

Mister Oz said...

Happy Birthday, Miss Y!!

Beautiful poem, Feral

I hope the day was wonderful.

MO

Feral Female said...

Thanks so much y`all, I`ll surely pass along the well wishes to Miss Yodeling!

That is a very cool idea goatgirl!