Thursday, January 21, 2010

Rural Ramblings





This picture was snapped on one of our wood cutting expeditions. I`m always impressed with Mother Nature and her children. This old dead tree may look worthless to we humans but the pileated woodpecker saw it as a home, or a fine nesting place perhaps.

Someday it will drop in a strong wind or under a heavy snow, returning to the soil from where it began its life. Or perhaps it may stand another twenty years. Either way, I thought it was a neat snapshot and wanted to share with y`all.

4 comments:

Brenda said...

Yep ... the value of something is based upon your perspective! Cool photo.

Flat Creek Farm said...

Love the picture! Someone has sure been busy creating those holes. Those pileateds are among my favorites! (now if I could just capture a picture of one - they just don't trust me.. lol). -Tammy

houndstooth said...

That is a very cool picture!

Feral Female said...

Pileated`s are SO hard to catch on film, or even on the wing! They may be my favorite`s as well Tammy.

Glad y`all liked the snapshot. =)