Wednesday, December 23, 2009

A holiday poem

T`was the night before Christmas, on Feral`s goat farm

And the poor Christmas tree, it was not safe from harm;

The beads were disheveled-the lights hung askew

While ornaments littered the floor freshly chewed;

The goats and the steers were all snug in their hay

While dreaming of apples and grain and what may;

Hubby in his PJ`s-Me in a comic tee,

Lay squished betwixt two dogs which is normal you see,

When out in the living room there arose such a clatter,

I rolled over a beagle to see what was the matter,

Down the hall I went, tripping over a lab,

Who carried one slipper she managed to nab.

The moon glinted off of our goat barns tin roof

Then I stumbled over my dog with an ‘Oof!’

When, what to my bleary old eyes should appear,

But a lovely tree that had suffered most severe,

With a little bad kitten so lively and quick,

Sitting beside the wreckage with hardly a nick!

More rapid than goat hooves charging in for their treat,

Did that kitten streak off right between four dog feet;

“Consabbit,” I yelled as that cat darted by,

“Rassafrassin,` “was also muttered by I,

“You may hide on the porch; you may hide `neath the bed!

But find you I will Missy Lu-Lu!” I loudly said.

By this time the mister had roused from our bed,

And came stumbling out whilst scratching his head,

He surveyed the scene while I raced down the hall,

One slipper flapping which caused me to fall,

And then, in a twinkling, I heard on the roof,

The speedy escape of a cat on the hoof,

As I picked myself up amid three dancing hounds,

Over the stove room roof Lu-Lu went with a bound.

Now I know I was dressed in an Ironman tee,

With gray jogging pants and one slipper left me,

And I knew I may end up all covered in soot,

With blue toes on my one naked wee little foot.

As I stood in the snow I just happened to spy,

A cat on the roof with a gleam in her eye,

Her droll little mouth was drawn up in a bow,

Then the rascally minx leaped down to the snow,

Off she raced to the barn while my mouth held my teeth,

And the wood smoke encircled my head like a wreath,

Down the hill did I run and my was I tense,

“Darn!” I cried out, “Forgot the electric fence!”

That mild shock did produce a sharp yodel,

The goats wandered out, all thirteen in total,

A wink of my eye which I hoped they all read,

But sadly not a one returned to their bed,

I pushed through the throng and I entered the barn,

I flicked on the lights and then whispered ‘Darn’,

There sat in the rafters with webs on her nose,

A most angelic puss, minus the haloes,

She sprang to my arms, to my chin gave a rub,

Her purrs I could swear heard by Patrick and Bub,

A hug did she get and so now I must write,

Happy Christmas to all, and to all a good night.






Warmest wishes from our hillside farm to all of you!


Feral

6 comments:

houndstooth said...

I still say that Lulu needs her own blog! I can just picture the whole scene! Well penned!

Brenda said...

What a wonderful story! You are certainly very talented and creative! I enjoyed every line you've written so descriptively. Merry Christmas to you and all the critters on your farm! - Brenda

Feral Female said...

I have to admit the poem was fun as heck to pen!

Lu-Lu the bloggin` cat. Hmmmmm, it has a nice ring to it. =)

Merry Christmas everyone!

Mister Oz said...

That rascally cat! But then nothing says "Christmas" like a pet knocking the tree over :-)

I hope all the Yodelings and readers have a great, safe, healthy and happy Holidays!

MO

~Tonia said...

Loved it!lol

Flat Creek Farm said...

Priceless!! When we do the big tree thing, we tie it to the wall with wire. Works like a charm against offending cats (and dogs). However, it does remove all the 'fun' drama! I totally love your re-do on the traditional poem (it just doesn't get any better than that!), and that picture...
Perfect!! Merry Christmas to all!! -Tammy